WnSoft Forums

Drive Crash - Changing File Paths Globally???

bddorsey

I had a drive crash with all the images to a P2Exe show on it, but before it died completely i managed to copy the folder containing the images to another drive. Since I have hundreds of slides in this presentation and I don't want to have to go find them all again, is there a way that I can globally change the path to the files to point to the folder of the same name that now exists on a drive with a different letter?

IN a nutshell I want all my files in the slide show that are F:/directory/imageXYZ.jpg to globally change to G:/directory/imageXYZ.jpg

Is there a way to do that easily?

Thx, tons.

~bd

bd

welcome to the forum

I think you are ok -- if you open the pict to exe program and direct it to the now drive/folder and redo the show -

if you also managed to get the pte and exe into the folder you will just have to redirect to locate the picts -- copy all your files that you are using -- music etc into the new folder

ken

... I want all my files in the slide show that are F:/directory/imageXYZ.jpg to globally change to G:/directory/imageXYZ.jpg

Is there a way to do that easily?

Yes, Sy(P) is a easy way:

1. Launch Sy(P) (download here or here)

2. Open your project PTE

--> Sy(P) tells you that it doesn't find the images

3. Open the file name manager tool (menu or icon on the task bar)

--> all the pictures are listed with the old path <F:/directory/..>

4. in the small device box select the new hard disk: <G>

5. In the right upper box select your new directory for the images: <G:/directory/>

6. Click on <Verify>, normally the result must be OK

7. Click on <Apply>

8. Same procedure for sounds

9. Quit file name manager

10. Save your project

That's all folks

Jean-Claude

i seem to remember that Sy(P)

did not work proper with newer versions of pict to exe

have you updated it

or

is it ok as is

ken

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...ry%20tool&st=40

QUOTE (ronwil @ Mar 10 2005, 02:59 PM)

I have just tried one of my recent PTE's on SY(P) and the "Page rolling down from the top" is shown as "Unknown effect in PTE 4.20". But no tantrums.

Ron [uK]

The current version of Sy(P) is in accordance with PTE 4.30.

At the moment I work on a new version in order to make it compatible with PTE 4.40.

Igor recently (thanks to him) let me know the last specifications.

Next version will also include

- merging and splitting PTE projects

- modification of slideshow main parameters

- possibility of adding external remarks (different from comments) to each pictures

... and some others goodies

bd,

If you put your PTE project file in the same folder as the images, it won't matter that the pathnames are different from those indicated in the project, itself.

Or, if that still bothers you, and you are fairly proficient with MS Office, another way to change pathnames is to open the .pte file in a text editor, or in MS Excel, do a "find / replace" operation, and save as a ".prn" file. Then change the filename back to ".pte". My "PTE-Adjustor" model, and as you heard from Jean-Claude, his Sy(P) model, will both do this for you automatically.

Here is a thought! If this slide show had been saved as a 'Template' all the images and music etc woul have been placed in the same folder. Would it then matter if the directory in which the original images were saved - changed???

Ron

Here is a thought! If this slide show had been saved as a 'Template' all the images and music etc woul have been placed in the same folder. Would it then matter if the directory in which the original images were saved - changed???

Ron

Ron,

You're right - they would all be in the same folder (in the template folder).