WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe

Glastonian

I have just completed my first slideshow and after a lot of work I am reasonably happy with it although I know I can do much better after this experience. Firstly I need a decent software package with total control over the soundtrack in relation to the images. My research shows that the PicturesToExe package is among the front-runners in my choice but before I spend my cash I would appreciate some answers to questions that will help me with that choice.

My current software allows me to include tracks from music CD's but no control in the breaks between the tracks so when I play the show on my TV I get 10 second breaks in the music every 2/3 minutes - very disconcerting. Will I be able to eliminate this problem with PTE?

Also with the software that I am using I am limited to 100 image shows which is not a problem but as I am seeking information I thought I would ask. Doe's this limit apply to PTE or is there no upper limit?

Lastly how many 100 image shows with a music soundtrack can be burned onto a standard DVD disc?

Answers to these questions will enlighten me and be much appreciated as I believe that slideshows are the way forward in presenting work in large numbers leaving printing for the very best efforts.

Many thanks. :D

Guest Techman1

Glastonian,

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions as best that I can. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some additional information as needed.

I believe most here use a audio program called, "Audacity". It is a free program that does an excellent job of taking your music files and adding the necessary fades and combining multiple music tracks together. Then you can save your combined tracks into one MP3 music source that you can add to PTE. This allows you to reduce the silence between tracks and allows you to make the overall track as long or short as you'd like for it to be. This program is very easy to use and learn. Here's the link to it:

Audacity Main Page

The licensed version of PTE doesn't have a limit as far as I know on the number of images per slideshow (there probably is one, but I believe it is extremely large, greater than a 1000 for sure). I have several slideshows with hundreds (one has over 600) of images in them.

I'm not sure how many slideshows can be put on a DVD. It probably has to do with the size of the images (resolution) and the size of the music files. I have put several 10 minute type slideshows on a DVD and still had room for many more. Hopefully someone else can tackle this question and give you a better answer than I have.

Anyway, PTE is an excellent program and you won't be sorry you purchased the rights to use it. Good luck and hope to see you here in the near future!

Fred

I quote some values from my tests in this thread -- it started when we first got the avi ability

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...f=4&t=1350&st=0

to save some time my last documented notes from my log

DVD TEST NOTES

8:26 PM 7/2/2004

USED WINDVD SUITE -- CAME WITH ASUS MOTHERBOARD

USED P2E EXISTING SHOWS -- I HAD MADE THESE SHOWS TO VCD AND SVCD FORMAT MANY TIMES AND I KNEW THEIR FAILINGS

REVISED AS NECESSARY - IMAGEs TO FULL SCREEN settings -- 95% SCREENSIZE -- SOME WERE MADE ORIGINALLY with ver 3.6 --WERE SCANNED INTO SYSTEM FROM 4X6 PRINTS, 8X10 XEROX COPIES AND 8X10 PRINTS ETC

I DID NOT ADJ THE TEXT POSITON FOR THE PICT ID SO IN SOME CASES I LOST THE TEXT AND IN OTHER CASE'S IT IS LOST IN THE PICTURE - -I WAS NOT ABOUT TO REINVENT THE WHEEL AS I WANTED TO SEE THE OUTPUT QUALITY and how the system would operate

USED P2E VER 4.3 BETA 1 AND CREATED VIDEO --default settings - INTERLACE AND SHARPNESS FILTER ON

AUTO SHOW EXE = 24.484MB - AVI 123.311 MB

AIR SHOW EXE = 9.65 MB- AVI = 73.141

CALENDAR EXE = 21.25 MB - AVI = 107.394

BRIDGE EXE = 14.5= MB - 116.500 MB

KIDS EXE =4.79 MB - AVI =23.364 MB

MOUNTAINS EXE = 11.579 MB - AVI 91.750 MB

TUGBOAT EXE = 6.106 MB AVI - 25.827 MB

TOUR EXE 3.812 MB - AVI =25.827 MB

THE ESTIMATE TOTAL FILE DVD SIZE WAS +- 3600 MB'S

TIME FOR WINDVD TO CONVERT AND BURN WAS + - 2HRS 10 MINS

SO I DONT BELIEVE I WILL BE GOING THRU THE TMPGENC GYRATIONS -- THE NEW SYSTEM IS WORKING REAL WELL FOR THIS OPERATION

VIEWED ON 13", 23", 29" AND 32" STANDARD TV'S -- THE PICTURES OF THE MOUNTAINS THAT WERE SCANNED FROM MY HASSLEBLAD DAYS ARE EXCEPTIONAL

THE OVER ALL QUALITY IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS OLD BOY :)

NOW I HAVE TO FIGGER OUT THE FANCY MENU SETTINGS IN WINDVD

excuse the capitals:))

ken

Just a quick addendum to what you've already read.

1. Use Audacity or other sound editor to change the fades and breaks between songs to suit yourself.

2. The limits for a "single slideshow" (one executable) are not in the number of images, but based on Windows limits for a single file size which would be compatible with all present versions of Windows. That limit is currently 2 gigabytes. So combine the size of the individual image files, add the size of the combined sound tracks, add a small overhead for the executable file and keep it under 2 gigabytes and you will have the limits.

3. Smaller images dimensions or greater compression both will allow more individual pictures in the show than full sized low compression images.

Lin