WnSoft Forums

HELP CD or DVD?

elijahnow

Hello

I have had PTE for some time now, but it’s been quite a while since I used it last, and only a few times then. But I hope to start using it more often now.

Here’s my question, I have a video that my business partner and I made, it’s a 1 ½ minute 100mb (when in AVI format) promotional clip. We wanted it to auto run when put into a computer or a DVD player. We have already used Flash to do this and it works pretty good on a computer, but the way it is now (on CD) it wont run on a home DVD player. If we used PTE to do this can we use either a CD or a DVD and what are the pros and cons?

Since it’s such a small file we tried the CD for cost effectiveness.

Thanks

elijahnow

elijah

the current cost of disc's is the same -- when buying a 100 disc spindle on sale -- name brand -- maxell for example -- cd or dvd's are +- $40/100 + taxes in Canada.

to save time in makng and proofing to see it on a tv with the home dvd player you could make a vcd on a cd -- I say a vcd rather than a svcd because some home players will not play svcd

then when satisfied create the same show as a dvd -- the quality will be far better but stll not as good as seen on your monitor

when you make the exe you can make it auto start [ do a search for how to set it up to autostar]and loop for running on the computer

project otions/main/ check box repeat until esc is pressed

if i have missed something somebody will fill it in

ken

Guest Techman1

Elijahnow,

If you have a DVD Burner and other burning software to go along with it, why not take your AVI file that you are already happy with and burn it to a DVD? Most (read that as not all), DVD burning software will read an AVI file, so you should be able to do this.

This will hopefully allow you to get this done without trying to recreate it in PTE. Also, as Ken suggests, you can also create the DVD using a RW DVD, so you can test it prior to doing any final burns. Also as Kens says, DVD's have dropped significantly in price so I personally burn a lot more DVD's these days.

Good luck and please advise if I misinterrupted your question.

Fred

eligahnow,

If you use PTE and have a DVD / CD ROM burner & software, you should be able to burn either a CD or DVD. In general, the CD will give you a better quality pic, takes a shorter time to burn and make copies of, but you have to be careful if using the Object Editor when adding Text to support Object Editor added pics because the viewer has to use the same screen resolution as you did or the text / picture will be disoriented & unviewable. On the other hand, the DVD is of lesser pic quality, takes much longer to burn and make copies of + you have to take precautions when adding comments to be sure they do not "fall off" the screen when the DVD is created but you don't get the disorientation problem on the TV. And the DVD will play either on a player to see on the TV or in a DVD /CD ROM computer equipped drive.

Good luck...Harvey

Hello and thanks,

I will have to make this short, I have been pretty sick since I wrote the post.

I hope in two or three days I’ll be able to set down and figure this all out.

We looked again and the file size is much bigger than I remembered, it’s about 400-mb, and the video clip is all we will use. We don’t need to add any text or any thing else to it. We want it to look good for business presentations on TV and computers and to auto run.

We used Flash and it looks great on a computer monitor, but it wouldn’t run on a home DVD player. It also takes about 3 minutes for it to load on the computer.

Thanks for all the suggestions; maybe it will all come together by the time I can work on it again.

elijahnow

OK,

How do I make an EXE. for my video? I have searched the web and everything I have found that said it could create this was over a hundred dollars. I have never done this before and I seem to be clueless.

I guess I need to make an EXE. file and then need a program to make it autorun. Is there any freeware or less expensive programs I could use to do this?

Thanks

elijahnow

Guest Techman1

Elijahnow,

If you haven't downloaded the most current version of PTE, you should do that first. After you have your slideshow ready to create, simply go to the drop down list and save your slideshow as an executable. You can do a search for a utility by "Boxig" that will help you in creating an Autorun file for your executable. If you do a search on this forum, you can also learn how to create an Autorun file manually (it's really very easy).

Since you have already purchased the license for PTE, you can do all of this at no additional cost. I guess you are changing a bit from what you originally posted.

Good luck and let us know if we can help further.

Fred