WnSoft Forums

How do I relocate the images attached to .exe file

Tim Z

Sorry, the title shoud read .pte file, but there is no way in this forum to edit the title.

I was running out of space in the partition where I kept all of my jpeg files. So I recently moved the whole image folder to a new drive. Now when I open up a .pte file of previous shows I created, it comes up with an error window saying "pictures not found" and lists all of the images. Is there any way that I can redirect PTE to load the images from the new drive? Surely I don't have to rebuild the whole show by adding all the images again. Most programs would just ask you where to look for the files, and then load from there.

Any help with resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

I am sure there is a short way of doing this Tim, but in the past I have renamed each file in the Show Image box, below the Slide List, to match its new location.

Tedious but hopefully someone will come up with the easy way. Good luck for us both.

Ron [uK]

Tim

i thought Igor revised the program to recognize the picts if they were all in the same folder and the folder was relocated -- have never tried it myself as i set up a fresh folder for each show and then copy all components to that folder -- then start making the show

ken

Tim:

If you create a TEMPLATE folder of the finished show, that puts the .pte file, the jpgs, and the sound tracks into one folder. Then you can move that folder where ever you want and all works well.

I use it as my back-ups. (I manually add the .exe file to that folder)

Template is at FILE>TEMPLATE>CREATE TEMPLATE but if you go >MANAGE TEMPLATE first, you can change the default location which is the PTE Program file.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I do have all the associated jpegs for the .pte file each in its own folder, but I did not have the actual .pte file in that folder. I suspect that is the key. Will it work if I move the .pte file to that folder now and then open the show?

It was cumbersome, but I was able to redirect the images by clicking on the image and then clicking on the little file open symbol to the right of the file name and selecting the new path. However, I did have to do this for each and every image. I'll try moving the .pte file and see if that works.

I works with lots of other programs (mostly music/recording) that automatically ask you to reassign the file path, and then resets the path for all files. It would be nice, and should be a simple thing to add something like this to PTE.

Cheers

Tim

As an update, YES moving the .pte file to the jpeg folder works just fine. So Ron there is a quick way to resolve this issue. :) I am going to redo how I store the shows and files now so that this will not happen again.

Thanks JRR for suggesting that. This will save me a lot of time.

Cheers

t

Tim Z

Well, I was a bit slow.

I made a small utility for relocate folder, but as it seems now it is not needed any more. Anyway, if anyone is interested you can download it here:

RelocatePTE.zip

The "Readme":

If all your original files where in the same folder when you created your show and you relocated or renamed this folder, this small program will create a new PTE file for you and change all paths.

1). Select the new folder where images and sounds are now.

2). Select old PTE file.

3). Create new PTE file (will be opened in "PicturesToExe" program).

Granot

Thanks for raising the topic Tim. I have been using the one folder method for my projects for some time now but had not had recourse to transfer to another harddrive. I had an impression that Igor had done something on these lines but couldn't be sure so left it for friends on the forum to step in with the answer.

Together with members of the Sutton Camera Club AV Group we have just finished our project for this year and which is on my computer at a staggering size of 862 Mb. I will need to transfer that to my "storage" drive soon so it will be nice to know that it will be immediately operable without any alterations.

Ron [uK]