WnSoft Forums

Need to zip slide show

mysty

Hi Dave,

As I understand things, I was under the impression that WinZip or Zip was (pre-packed) part and parcel of the XP Op.System and the same for the Win 2000 Op.System....So I must ask, how are you making your Zip File's if a 'Zip Program Utility' is not on your PC ?

Whether it is WinZip or Windows Zip Utility the process is basically similar in that you RH.Click the 'object' and Send to....Zip Folder or alternatively Rh.Click and choose a Zip method, such as Add to Zip...its the same thing..

In Mystys case I was setting up a 'Testing Method' whereby the 'Zipping Process' and the 'Receiving Process' and Un-packing, could be verified simply by using one's own PC to return the Zipped File back to the PC.

That would help Mysty and eliminates all doubt as to its proper working.

Brian.Conflow.

back in win 95 days I had a hard enough time getting started to run wizip, so by the time i got winxp i wasnt about to change -i am kind of partial to the "C" clamp and file cabinet icon - one of the first things i did was install my copy of winzip and make it the default zipper

- but in the short time it was not installed i did see these icons that were zips but in a xp clothing and i have seen them on other people's systems that dont have winzip installed

so

using google as a engine i came up with this

see

If you're using Windows XP, it already has the ability to create .zip files.

To create a .zip file, first select all of the files you want to add. Then, right-click the files, select "Send To" and "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

http://www.cs.sfu.ca/CC/125/ggbaker/instr/xpzip

hope this gets our lady zipping in short order :rolleyes:

ken

Hi Brian,

As I said (almost) - Rt Click on Desktop - New Compressed (Zipped) Folder - Rename Folder - Drag and Drop File(s) onto folder.

However, with pictures the file size remains the same - no "compression" is applied.

Your option - "3)Right Click on it and select as follows--->WinZip--->Add to Zip File" does not exist (unless you have Winzip installed).

I searched on the Internet for "Winzip" - it is a $29 Programme to download. It is not part of XP Pro.

DaveG.

Ken,

Well said, that's exactly the point I was making. Both XP and 2000 have the Windows Zip Utility pre-installed and of course one can also download:- 'WinZip 9.0' and 'BigSpeed Zipper' and 'FilZip' if that extra 'grunt' and flexibility are needed (the latter 2 are Free).

It's not Rocket Science ~ but in Mysty's case some method of 'Testing' is called for, thats the reason for my posting.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Everyone,

Well I have the zip format down PAT...........aside from some can't open due to size of file. Now I need to find out how to put on web page as a link, would that make it easir to open, and if I do send as a Zip file, what size is best so miost can open without errors, saying file is too big???

Thanks all for the help so far everyones been great and helped me tremendously.

Hi Brian and everyone,

I did get the p2e to zip, followed your advice in earlier e-mail posted that I dod do it.....was pretty darn simple as I have a zip program on xp as it is...so utilized that, I think the program was new and just getting to know everything at one time....now I have it and have made several slide shows..THANKS Everyone for AL your help...it has been a lesson well learned.!!!

Guest Techman1

Mysty,

That's great that it is all working for you well now. There is usually a learning curve of some degree with any new program. I'm glad you got it all working well!

Ken,

A .ATN file is an action file that is used in Photoshop (basically a script file).

Take care all,

Fred

Now I need to find out how to put on web page as a link,

This question was raised by Mysty earlier and I cannot see that it has been answered yet. Since I am interested in uploading a zipped file, I would like to know the answer on how to do this also.

Ron West

Ron

Your signature is not working for me and is still in a large font. I can access your site using Ken's link in the previous post. I have looked at your profile and suggest you amend the signature by first using just the URL and also adding your URL under Home Page.

Ron [uK]

Now I need to find out how to put on web page as a link, would that make it easir to open, ...

You first upload the zipped file to the appropriate folder on your web-site host server, in the same way as you would upload images for display on your web site.

Then you create a hyperlink to that image on one of the pages of your web site in much the same way as you would create a link on this forum to a web site.

The HTML code would look something like this:

<a href="myfile.zip">My File</a>

Hope this helps. :)