WnSoft Forums

Problems with AVI-files and Pinnacle

inge_s

Trying to create a slideshow for video, I wanted to include more than one slideshow on the same disc. So I followed the instructions from PTE, and opened three separate sessions and created three avi-files. With PTE still open, and not having finished the AVi-session (as told), I opened the three separate files in Pinnacle Studio 9 in order to burn them on DVD.

But! The three separate AVI-files all contained the same pictures as the last created slideshow!? Sound was unique on each of them, but the pictures were the same. Is there an explanation for this, and is it possible to get around it?

Guest Techman1

Inge_S,

Welcome to the forum. I've never seen this and have done as you are doing on multiple projects. What version of PTE are you running? Have you tried shutting everything down and then open the three occurances of your different PTE files again and tried it? Maybe something else is running that is causing this issue.?.?

Let us know and maybe someone else has experienced a similar issue. I haven't seen it before especially where the three versions of PTE have different music, but the same photos....very strange.

Good luck!

Fred

Techman1,

First of all, thanks for Your reply. However, I don't think shutting all down will do the trick. If I shut PTE down before opening the file in pinnacle (or any other program I suppose) the AVI-file I have created dissapear. I suppose that's what the the final information PTE tells after You have created your file is all about (I don't have the english version, but it tells You to not to quit until after You have burned your DVD)

My version of PTE is 4.42.

The reason I wanted to add more than one slideshow (one at the time works perfectly in Pinnacle) is that I wanted to add chapters for easier navigation between different shows. Mainly for saving the cost of one DVD for each small 'family album', using a few % of the capacity.

Still hoping that someone has an answer.

Inge S

Guest Techman1

Inge S,

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. What I meant by shutting down everything is; doing a complete "PC System" Shutdown (reboot) and then only loading the three PTE shows back up again. Then leaving the PTE shows up as instructed, loading the AVI files into Pinnacle.

I've done this numerous times using version 4.42 and it works very well. I don't have Pinnacle, so possibly it's something specific to your PC or the Pinnacle version you are running.

Maybe someone else can make some other suggestions.

Fred

Techman1,

I tried Your suggestion: This time created two different PTE- projects, saved them and re-booted. Opened them up again, in two different PTE-sessions, and created the AVI files and left PTE open. Then I started Pinnacle and added them both a new projekt there. But! Still the same pictures in both of them. (I suppose I have to ask for a salaryrise in order to afford to buy more discs!)

Thanks any way!

//Inge

Ken,

Yes, I did save each project under a unique name before closing and reboot. And, during the next sessions, the AVI-files were also named and saved with names of their own. And, looking at them (AVI) before opening from Pinnacle, they had different timestamp and size.

//Inge

Guest Techman1

Inge,

Can you try to view the AVI files using Windows prior to loading them into Pinnacle. Double click on each AVI file and see if they play correctly with the proper music & slides that you expect. This may help to narrow down where the problem is.

Again, good luck and I hope this helps get you closer to a solution.

Fred

Well, well, well. I feel like Sherlock Holmes, or rather Dr Watson, since I can’t find the answers to my questions.

Yes, I have tried a couple of new ways of getting around the problem, but…with the same result.

The AVI-file is possible to open in windows (Windows Media Player) when the PTE-project still is open. When you close PTE, after having burned it to disc, the AVI-file doesn’t open at all in windows any longer. UNLESS! If I reboot, the saved AVI-file opens in WMP, but without pictures! Sound, yes, pictures no!

Yes, dear Fred, I think I need the good luck.

:blink:

inge_s

that is how it works the first thread

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=4&t=1408

it is a lot of reading

but it explains the process

Igor uses windows media player temporarily to make a temporary avi file

when you shut down p2e the picture portion of the avi goes bye bye so do not try saving it

if you have software installed that you can import the temp avi into and save it as a mpeg then it is now permanent and then maybe you can import it into pinnacle and make your show

when we first started to make vcd's svcd's and dvd's there were many problems and there were a lot of work arounds till we figgered what was going on

i think if you use the search feature of the forum you will see that pinnacle and ulead caused a lot of problems

ken

Ken and Fred,

Thanks a lot for trying helping me out.

I started out with scanning previous forums, but did not find what I was looking for. I now realize that it is a far more complicated matter than I thougth, and, -maybe, - I try on later. But for the time beiing, I stick to one show at the time. (And ask for a rise in salary!)

Thanks a lot any way!

//Inge

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for being way behind the times on this topic but if your problem still exists, this may help.

Recently I completed a slideshow for my son to go on DVD by creating 5 different shows to allow a Menu on the DVD. Albeit I use Ulead Video Studio but the principle should be the same with Pinnacle.

It was my first attempt and all went well by creating individual avi files, importing each in turn to Video Studio's timeline as a separate project and rendering to DVD format then saving the file. As each DVD file was created, the relevant PtoE project was closed until all 5 were now Mpegs.

From there it was a simple case of choosing 'Create Disc', bringing in the 5 Mpeg files to to V-Studio's Menu feature, choosing a Menu title etc then burning to disc.

Hope this helps you.

• 8 months later...

Inge,

Sorry for not replying to your previous posts, but I have had the same problem with Pinnacle.

However, I got around it by saving each PTE show, one at a time, in Pinnacle as an permanent "avi" file and closed PTE after each one. Then I opened each avi file in Pinnacle again and this time I was able to see the 3 shows.

Lately, however, I have been using Adobe "Premiere Elements", and don't have that problem. However, Pinnacle has some great menu and title presets, so it is nice to be able to use it to put together the final dvd.

I've been reading this board for 2 days now and still haven't created a DVD successfully. I am a longtime PTE user and have recommended the program to many friends, but for them to claim that this program makes DVD's is preposterous. I'm pretty techie and I can't make it work and it would seem that I have lots of company.

It's a great program for computer slideshows but a total PITA for DVD's. Perhaps you can tell I'm really frustrated and totally p-o'd? I'll outline my problems later and maybe somebody can help.

Guest Techman1

smasonnc,

If you will let people know what your configuration looks like (hardware and software) and let us know what the problem is that you are having, I suspect that someone may be able to help you. There are so many different configurations out there to support that it is nearly impossible for Igor and team to even try. The forum is here for everyone to work together to hopefully get what you have working or at least make everyone aware of what HAS worked for them.

I've been creating DVD's from PTE for the past two years very successfully. I've upgraded software, used different DVD burners and on more than one system. So it can work, but it also can be very frustrating until you have everything working correctly. Again, I'm certain that everyone here that has created a DVD has experienced a bit of frustration in doing so. I know I have, but please stick with it and you will be able to get it working (although you may have to purchase some other software).

If you'll post the information, hopefully someone can offer some suggestions to get you going.

Good luck!

Fred

Hello:

I've been making DVDs of my PTE slideshows for nearly three years. My method has been essentialy trouble free. I reported it in the following thread a couple of years ago:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....c=1796&hl=video

PTE does not create a true video but sends video frames to a program that can process them and encoded them. I think this technique is refered to as "frameserving" and is a very common technique used by many video processing programs to minimize the amount of memory and disk space consumed by larg avi files. Some software such as Pinnacle do not always support this technology. I dropped using Pinnacle Studio several years ago for reasons of their lousy technical support and inability to fix major bugs.

My method definitely works but it helps if you have a good understaning of the video processes outside of PTE's control. The problems are most often not created by PTE.

Sincerely,

Ken

:D