WnSoft Forums

Various screen sizes

Richhaas

Thanks for the info Dadou, that tutorial centered well on the 1280 by 800 screen but it locked up my friend's computer and pressinfg the power button for 6 sec was the only way to turn off the laptop!

Frankly, going through my slides and and by pasting make every slide complete WITH background is alot easier. Thak goodness I have Photoshop and can make this semi-automatic.

Now the other problem is even though click "make slide 90 percent of screen size", once again that appears to only work at the same screen reosution as PTE was in when it created the exe. I have since noticed that on the 1280 by 800 size screen that the slide was NOT 90 pe cent of the lap top screen but seems to be 90 percent of 1024 by 768, the resolution of the screen I happened to be in at "exe creation time".

It has just occured to me, would setting "Display In A Window." fix this? I am just to busy to try this this till Monday. I have never created a show specifing Windowed display. Do you get to force a window size?

Just some further comments regarding screen sizes for this discussion thread.

My camera when set to 5 MP, gives an image size of 2560 x 1920 (aspect ratio = 1.33). When preparing images for a PTE show, I resize them to 1024 x 768. However my monitor (a 19 inch one) has a screen size of 1280 x 1024 (aspect ratio = 1.25). I therefore have 3 options as follows :

1. leave the image size at 1024 x 768 and view as a window on my monitor.

2. set the image to use the full screen in PTE (using Project Options – screen – fit to screen so that the image fills the monitor screen.

3. crop the images to 1280 x 1024 so that they fit the monitor exactly as a full screen image.

I have decided, as a general rule, to use the first option. This is the recommended size for PTE and particularly for slide shows using a digital projector. I accept that viewing the show on my monitor does not use the whole screen. If I use the “ fit to screen” command, the images will fit the whole screen but at a slightly reduced quality.

I also sometimes burn a PTE show to a DVD to view on a wide screen TV. Interestingly tests have shown that the “Safe TV Zone” rectangle in the object editor is exactly correct for a 1280 x 1024 image when burned to a DVD. However for a 1024 x 768 image, the “Safe TV Zone” appears to be 60 pixels too wide.

jevans

Please, why not resize to 1280x960 ? OK, 1024x768 for a digital projector...mine accept 1280x1024.

On suggest: one slideshow for your projector and one for your monitor ;) !

The safe zone can be different with certain TV: near 5 to 15%. PTE permit to see "visual" line: it's an indication.

I think the actual safe zone is perfect for a TV 4/3.

And whe have also a problem "safe zone" with 16/9 TV...

Difficult, very difficult...Igor :blink: ?

• 4 weeks later...

With the thought that others might need an answert to the original question I first asked in this thread, not a co-opted discussion on object editing more usefull in it's own thread...

Setting the Screen options to Windowed mode, setting No Border and the size of the window to the size of the background image has solved the problem91024 by 768 in this case). Not well, as the slide show is always the same size, it does not take advantage of larger screens when it is displayed on them and the desktop is still visible around the edges but this work around at least presents the show as it was intended to be seen. The ratio of the background image and exact placement in relation to the slide is preserved.

Richhaas,

Having just purchased a 1280x1024 monitor I have some sympathy with your dilemna. Up to the purchase of the monitor my shows have always been 1024x768 but the advantages of the extra resolution outweigh any other considerations so what to do?

Allowing "fit to screen" is not an option for older shows as resulting image degradation is not acceptable so for those I do as you do: 1024x768 in a window or make the show 1280x1024 and show the 1024x768 images over a plain black 1280x1024 background. But this only works if you have no panoramas i.e. push transitions otherwise there is a vertical black line between images in the push. Re-doing the panoramas at 1280 width is a good solution if there are not too many of them and you can accept the jump in size.

From now on (until I purchase a monitor with higher resolution) I'm working at 1280x851 for images (to take advantage of full width for panoramas) on a 1280x1024 background for my own uses and producing a 1024x768 show in a window in addition for those still using that format.

Cropping images to fit screen formats is not the answer because it makes batch processing difficult/impossible.

DaveG