WnSoft Forums

Copying Slides in Project View

jinjagoliath

A couple of queries (PS I am still learning!)

1. I wanted to group and copy slides already in my presentation.

P2E very helpfully allows me now to highlight a group (timeline view) by using SHIFT and clicking the first and then last of the group. Nice.

How do I now copy and paste this group to repeat the sequence of images later in my soundtrack? The right click menu doesn't provide the usual options of COPY and PASTE. These would be excellent additions. v5.0 perhaps?

I would find this particularly useful in songs where choruses repeat and so the sequence (or one very similar)repeats also.

2. Selecting the INSERT SLIDE (Time line view)

Another fabulous feature is the insert slide directly into the timeline. But if I make MULTIPLE selections (using CTRL) it would be great to understand the order in which the will then appear.

In my ideal: I could select the slides in a particular order by clicking on them and this is the sequence in which they appear (the order of the clicks). This doesn't appear to happen. I then have to re-arrange the slides into my chosen order, duplicating some work. It's also messy on the timeline with a large group of inserts.

Or maybe I CAN do this within P2E - and you're all going to tell me how. I thank you in advance. :rolleyes:

J :ph34r: G

A couple of queries (PS I am still learning!)

1. I wanted to group and copy slides already in my presentation.

P2E very helpfully allows me now to highlight a group (timeline view) by using SHIFT and clicking the first and then last of the group. Nice.

How do I now copy and paste this group to repeat the sequence of images later in my soundtrack? The right click menu doesn't provide the usual options of COPY and PASTE. These would be excellent additions. v5.0 perhaps?

I would find this particularly useful in songs where choruses repeat and so the sequence (or one very similar)repeats also.

Or maybe I CAN do this within P2E - and you're all going to tell me how. I thank you in advance. :rolleyes:

You can do question #1 by using the light table or the bottom row of the main screen (The listing of the images in the slide show). Use your usual select keys (CTRL or SHIFT) right click COPY and then select where you want them to be copied to and right click PASTE.

The second question I will leave to someone else at this point

Jim, I bow to your on-going wisdom,

I think I understand what you are saying, but what doesn't happen when I PASTE my selected slides this way (from main screen) is their appearance in the timeline. I have to go back to the time line and then click in each transition and try to mimic the timings I set up earlier.

What I really hoped for was doing it ALL from timeline view. It seems so close!

Therefore (in the timeline view), select first slide, hold SHIFT and select last slide (all between these points become highlighted) ..

Now up to this point all of the above happens now in the P2E version (4.43) I have, I just cannot see that the CTRL 'C' (copy) and then CTRL 'V' (paste) works in this view (and there are no R-click menu options) - which is a shame because it would cut out a bunch of other steps (particularly if the slide properties and timing were also duplicated.

When I have gone to so much trouble getting synchronised timings to be exactly spot-on in one part of the song / presentation (particularly with fast transitions) I don't want to have to start from fresh getting the timings right in another portion which repeats (cos I'm lazy?)

There MUST be someone out there thinks this is a good idea!

PS Jim, what exactly do you mean by 'lightbox' in relation to P2E? :huh:

Blessings .. J :ph34r: G

PS Jim, what exactly do you mean by 'lightbox' in relation to P2E? :huh:

Blessings .. J :ph34r: G

I meant "Light table"... Look for a little icon with a square and arrow to upper right (in the icon), at the end of the bottom row that starts with "create" "preview" "project options" etc

That is the easiest way to sort and arrange your images.

RE the problem of their not being inserted when you tried pasting, do you have "AUTO adding of new transition points..." checked on under VIEW on the TIMELINE ?

Is there enough music left to add that many number of images ?

Yes having all this possible from the timeline would be an option, but it does not seem to be right now

Jim,

Thanks again .. things are becoming clearer.

Yes, the AUTO Add button is now ticked, so thanks. Timings are my real issue though.

There is a feature to "import points from another project" under the TIMED POINTS button on the timeline ..

Perhaps I could try

1. Duplicating the existing project. Renaming it obviously ("Project2")

2. Importing all of the transitions from chorus ONE into position for chorus TWO?

In theory, might this work? Hmmm.

(Yes I have loads of space left on the track .. fallen foul of that one before!)

Thanks glad you're on line!

There is a feature to "import points from another project" under the TIMED POINTS button on the timeline ..

Perhaps I could try

1. Duplicating the existing project. Renaming it obviously ("Project2")

2. Importing all of the transitions from chorus ONE into position for chorus TWO?

In theory, might this work? Hmmm.

I have never used that feature, maybe someone else has, or you can tell us how it works :D:D

Jim, et al

I did experiment with this feature .. but couldn't get it to work at all. Neither was I sure what it SHOULD be doing.

Can anyone out there tell me how "Insert Points from Another Project" (Timeline / Timed Points) is intended to work?

I set up a blank project to see if I could import anything into it from an existing project but couldn't get it to work. I just clicked the option and nothing. On a previous occasion I was able to select an existing project to import from, but then .. nothing happened.

This is where a good 'help' feature is useful. But hey, I have you guys!

Yours in mystery and anticipation ..

I wanted to group and copy slides already in my presentation.

How do I now copy and paste this group to repeat the sequence of images later in my soundtrack?

As Jim has said, the only way to select and repeat a group of slides is to click-shift select them from either the slide list or the associated light-table.

Just to elaborate a bit more on this, you can do this directly from the timeline by first selecting the option, "View / Auto adding of new transition points ...", click on the timeline where you want your images to repeat, and then select "Insert Slide". This will take you directly to the light table for the images in the "file list" (not the "slide list"), where you can select which ever ones you want to repeat. You then have to sort the timing out on the timeline as you did when you first added these slides.

"Import points from another show" does work. However, it is the timing of the slides, not the slides themselves, which is imported. Your existing timings will change if you select this option.

I agree that under some circumstances it would be handy to repeat a selection of images on the timeline, but I find that whenever I see repeated images in a show, I am disappointed that the person didn't find new images for that part, even though it may be set to a repeated chorus in the music. Repeats in music seem to work, but not so effectively for images, in my opinion, anyway.

Hope this helps.

Guys thanks again for your prompt help.

Al - I kind of agree with you about repetition - but not fully.

The presentations I have done have been so fast paced in cases, that repeating the chorus gives the viewer time to digest the under lying message in the images.

After all many songs repeat a chorus for effect as well, so rather than detracting, carefully selected repeating images add to the impact.

In part I agree, however that it can be just lazy to repeat images (depending on their strength) and a little bit of variety with repetition has worked for me too. Not black or white either way I suspect.

If I get to post some presentations maybe you will see from my perspective as I certainly do yours.

I am still a tad disappointed the timings cannot be duplicated in P2E. In many cases I spend more time in getting this part of the interpretation JUST right, that having to faff and re-adjust is, in part additional work that I would like to avoid when a client has placed short time-pressures to complete a project.

C'est la vie.

I bid you all a good and peaceful yuletide, in case we do not converse again!