WnSoft Forums

Music change from computer to comp.

rwav

Still working on that first presentation.

I just tested it on another computer, more powerful than mine, and it is simply awful! The synch is perfect, but the song (sang by a men) is so high pitched, it would be funny if I wasn't worrying that Wednesday presentation. The singer (which now sound like a woman) seems to be in a hurry to finish that song, I tell you!

How can I solve that problem? It is a presentation to photo club and everyone will use the same laptop brought by a fellow member...

Using my own computer is not an option as it is not powerful enough to run the presentation without synch and music bugs.

The music is a MP3 file, recorded from a CD (.cda)

Help! :huh:

You must have converted the music to a different format than was recorded from the CD. I have had the same problem when changing the sampling rate, etc., without compensating for the change in pitch. You have to be careful to make sure the audio editing program does a real conversion of all music parameters and not just certain specific items.

Try going back to the original piece from the CD, and convert to mp3 without making any adjustments to sampling rate or number of bits per sample. Also, you could try it as a .wav file, too, to see if that sounds any better.

What audio editing program are you using?

Back from week-end. The presentation run well on a 1 gig 128 ram computer (Millenium). The one at work is 1.7 gig (Windows 2000), I do not know if this could explain the difference.

Guru and alrobin: I used JukeBox to convert from cda to mp3. I did the recording with all paramaters set to default because I do not much (zip, nothing) to music softwares.

I looked further within the software and I think I found the place where you can set up the bandwith - was at 16 by default, and it looks like it won't go much further. I will still try to re-record. Aargh. I thought I could simply press the "Record" button. Looks like there is a zillion of options here. Another software to learn. :)

I am not too sure I want to try the .wav format as it seems much more cumbersome in terms of size (therefore, memory and data transfer...?)

I can't try without synch because the timeline is done in such manner the photos match the words of the song.

Thank you for all your help. I will post futher positive results.

rwav,

Glad you got your show to run OK.

"16-bit" is the one to use when ripping cd's - with a sampling rate of 44.1 khz, as Guido mentioned.

No Kurt, I think the problem is not the encoder here.

It's true, old versions of MusicMatch (before v6) used a Xing encoder, but when Xing dll libraries (like asmAC3.dll) are present in the same machine, or when Xing-encoded mp3 files are used, PTE usually crashes. We never noticed such issues (changes in sound pitch).

I have tried to use MusicMatch JukeBox to rip CD's, but can't even get it to detect the fact that there is a music CD on-board.

There is no problem with either AudioGrabber, Roxio (CD writer, "CD Direct"), or Windows Media Player (records in WMA format, unfortunately).

Guess I have been fortunate, I use Musicmatch JukeBox 7.10 to record all the music that I use from CD's.

I have other software that will do it too, but I seem to be most comfortable with Jukebox.

I fortunately have not had Alrobin's problem :rolleyes:

Al ... from memory, try Toolbar -> Options -> Source -> ... you should see something as "CD" or else. The CD tracks should be displayed in the main screen after that.

Update on my efforts:

I re-recorded with 22mhz (JukeBox maximum, I had to try) - still too fast on my 1.7gig computer

Idem with recording under WAV format. Plus a substantial increase in file size (therefore, loading time).

I believe this will remain a mystery.

Slideshow tonight. Wish me luck - it bugs on 2/3 of the computers I tested it on. ;)

Good luck with the show, rwav! Going before a live audience is always a good test for the technology, as well as one's nerves! ;)

By the way, do you have a CD burner with your pc? If so, try ripping the tracks with it, at 44.1 khz, and see if that makes a difference.