WnSoft Forums

Preview

Mike Reed

I guess this has been asked many times before but I am a realatively new boy to PTE. Is there anyway to play a full screen preview from a pre determined point. I know it can be done in the sync window but need to see a larger image for a tricky bit of dissolving.

Hi

Close the timeline, right click on the slide where you want to start preview from.

then left click on "start preview from current slide" you will also see a short cut,

best of luck.

Dave :)

Hi

Close the timeline, right click on the slide where you want to start preview from.

then left click on "start preview from current slide" you will also see a short cut,

best of luck.

Dave :)

Many thanks Dave. What a boon the forum is. Happy New Year

Mike

Happy New Year Mike. There are other ways. One is to right click on an image in the lightbox and similarly use the drop down menu which appears as Dave has suggested. Another is to highlight the particular slide in the Slide List and click on the small icon (some people describe it as a slice of bread) in the bottom right hand corner of the image frame above. By the way if you have the Timeline open you can select the slide where you wish to start and click the Preview button below to the right.

You will find also that the drop down menu which Dave has mentioned contains some other useful features such as "Open Picture". This comes in handy when you spot something in the picture which needs correcting. In my system it opens the image in Photoshop. Correct-Save-Close and you are back in PTE with the image as you want it. Good Luck

Ron [uK]

Hi Mike.

Happy New year to you too.

Glad I could help, it was only a few weeks ago that I too, came here looking for help and was amazed at the depth of knowledge the other members had. But what impressed me most was the willingness to help out.

thanks to the knowledge of the forum members I am finding my way around and dont feel intimidated when asking a question. by the way, did I see some of your images in the Swansea International? and I suppose youve been asked this before---Are you the famous Mike Reed ? :lol:

Allthe best for 2006

Dave :D

You will find also that the drop down menu which Dave has mentioned contains some other useful features such as "Open Picture". This comes in handy when you spot something in the picture which needs correcting. In my system it opens the image in Photoshop. Correct-Save-Close and you are back in PTE with the image as you want it.

Hi Ron

How do you get to open in Photoshop? Mine only opens in MS Photo editor.

Thanks

George

George

you have to have for exmaple jpgs opened by your assigned graphic editor

you would have to associate jpgs to be opened by Photoshop which must be installed on your system

in my case jpegs are opened by irfanview

but gifs are opened by internet explorer by default

tiffs by another graphic program

bmps by windows fax and picture viewer

ken

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious B) but in my experience people sometimes know less about Windows than others think they do -- as my wife keeps reminding me every time she asks me a question about why her 'puter isn't behaving the way she thinks it should :ph34r:

To clarify Ken's comment on how to get PTE to open an image from that menu, and of course assuming you have Photoshop installed on your system, go to My Computer in Windows then at the top of the screen go to the Tools menu and open Folder Options then click on the File Types tab. Scroll down the list to JPG -- you'll probably note there is more than one JPG entry. Pick the one that says "JPG File" (to play it really safe, pick all of the JPG entries that are there) and once you've highlighted that entry by a single-click with the mouse, note below the scroll list a dialog that says "Open with..." which tells you what program Windows currently assumes you want to open JPGs with, in your case not Photoshop. Click on the "Change" button and another list appears, in which (if it's installed on your system) Windows will cleverly include Photoshop as one of the options. Choose it. Do the same for all the JPG entries as I mentioned, then click Apply and OK at the bottom. From now on and forevermore until you change this setting, anytime you double-click anywhere on a JPG (or anytime you use the Open Picture choice in PTE) Photoshop is what will open your file.

To save time, since Photoshop on most systems takes forever to launch (especially if you like me have more fonts and plug-ins than normal people really need), once you've done this don't close Photoshop after you edit your file, leave it open and go back to PTE leaving Photoshop running in the background. That way the next time you want to open a file, Photoshop is right there and the file opens almost instantly.

Maybe you knew all this stuff, but I'll bet there are others browsing this thread who didn't. Or maybe my wife is the only person in the world who didn't know this (and actually I didn't until a few months ago, and I've been messing with Windows computers longer than I care to admit). :blink:

Happy New Year George, Ken and Ed. Ken and Ed have answered your question put to me much more adequately than I could have done. Good Luck.

Grumpygrandad???? I resemble that description. I have just taken over the Chairmanship of Sutton Camera Club for my fourth term of office in 20 plus years. My Vice Chairman is my grandson David nearly 60 years my junior.

Ron [uK]

Many thanks to Ken Ron & Ed

I agree with your wife Ed, a lot of people will not know how to change these settings even after reading the manual, I didn’t.

Following your step by step instructions made it easy and it now works fine.

Once again thanks

Ron

With eleven granddaughters one can only be named grumpy.

Happy new year to all

George

Ed

the reason i did not mention your method is back in my windows 95 days i screwed up royally making a change that way and had to get MS support to help me --since then i use software to make association changes.:)

there is a vulnerbility floating around at present

see

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...ory/912840.mspx

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp...&virus_k=137760

> Here's a link to a "temporary" patch for the WMF vulnerability. I have

> *NOT* yet tried it, so YMMV.

> <http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-020.htm>

>

> Here's some tech info [by the guy that made the patch, I think] on how it

> works and what it does:

>

> <http://www.hexblog.com/2005/12/wmf_vuln.html>

>

and

from Jake Ludington's newsletter

I normally leave the Windows security warnings to the security sites, because I simply can't keep up with everything, but it's worth pointing out the most recent security flaw. According to Microsoft and the US Computer Emergency Readiness team (CERT) a vulnerability in the Windows graphics rendering engine could allow remote code execution. The good news is the only way this exploit can harm your system is by actively clicking on a link to view a Windows Metafile with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Don't assume this means you are out of harms way.

Like other deceptive attacks, the most likely way this security flaw will enter your computing world is through your email. An attacker may try to convince you to click on a link taking you to a page containing potentially hazardous code. If you get email from an unfamiliar source or if you get an email asking you to do something you wouldn't normally expect, err on the side of caution and ignore the request. You've likely already seen phishing emails purporting to be from banks you don't do business with, Paypal, Amazon or other large Web sites. Delete the suspicious emails and no harm can be done.

You can minimize the risk of damage by changing the association of WMF files to some other application or disassociating them from any all applications on your system and using due diligence when reading your email or clicking on links from site's you aren't familiar with.

Changing the file association for WMF files will make it harder for your computer to be exploited, because you'll need several extra steps to initiate the exploit. To change the association, open Windows Explorer, choose Tools > Folder Options and open the File Types tab. Locate WMF in the list of associations, highlight it and click the Delete button. You can always reassociate the extension after a fix is issued.

in the newsletter there are pictures to guide you thru, but i have not made the change

if you wish to have the newsletter , email me as i cant find the url to include in this

ken

post-16-1136205838_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for the tip about WMF files Ken, I had trouble figuring out your email to me on this subject (must be one of those days where I somehow got too much cotton wool into my head :blink: ) but it's clear in your post above. Hadn't heard of that before.

...back in my windows 95 days i screwed up royally making a change that way and had to get MS support to help me --since then i use software to make association changes ...

I think at one time one had to be careful to set the proper options when changing file associations, so it was very easy to get oneself into a real jam. However, lately, with Win XP, I have found that I just have to browse for the correct program, and everything seems to set itself up with all the options currently set for that particular program.

a few years back [win98 era]i was introduced to this piece of freeware -i use it extensively with the r mouse function open with of xp --- using this piece of software makes my life a lot easier

ken

OpenExpert 1.40 (für Windows9x/ME/NT/2000/XP)

Free for use at home!

Copyright © 1998-2002 BAxBEx Software

Internet: http://www.baxbex.com

OpenExpert adds "Open with" to the context menu of any chosen

file type, using any applications you decide. So you can easily

open your graphic files with your favorite paint program, or

view your HTML files in either Netscape or Internet Explorer,

just with a few clicks of the mouse.

http://www.baxbex.com/downloads.html

- they also have a shell piece tht connects to irfanview

http://www.baxbex.com/products.html

Shell Extension for IrfanView

IrfanView Shell Extension is a Freeware Dll that adds the ability to call some IrfanView functions from within the Windows Explorer.

IrfanView itself is a fast FREEWARE image viewer/converter for Win9x/NT and Windows 2000.

You could find IrfanView at http://www.irfanview.com