WnSoft Forums

Problem with path

Kurt S

I am having a problem with the the path of a program.

In object editor I choose to make a hyperlink. Then under Actions I choose to Run application or open file. Here's where the problem arises. I want to put this file on the CD but it creates a direct path to the file along with the drive letter of the drive it's on. Obviously this won't work as the drive letter of the CD drive can change from system to system. Is there any way to create a universal path so drive letter mapping doesn't matter?

Kurt,

I don't remember if this will work from a CD or not, but normally you just remove the pathname from the application or file you want to run, and put the file or application in the same folder as the PTE file.

Kurt,

I don't remember if this will work from a CD or not, but normally you just remove the pathname from the application or file you want to run, and put the file or application in the same folder as the PTE file.

Hi Al thanks for replying. I have tried that and it doesn't seem like PTE will resolve UNC paths on it own.

Try putting all files in the root of the CD - don't bury them in any folders and you won't need a path at all. The program will simply look for them in the same location with the slideshow executable. I've never had a problem running executable code from within a P2E slideshow as long as everything is on the root level of the device. Think of it like the autorun.inf file, unless told otherwise it looks on the root of the loaded device. No matter what the original device designator, the autorun always finds the executable being called.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

What if the external application is something like "Notepad" and you want to open a text file which is saved in the root of the CD along with the PTE executible? Or a Flash file?

I know it will work from the hard drive, and there the files don't have to be in the root of the drive - just in the same folder.

Lin,

What if the external application is something like "Notepad" and you want to open a text file which is saved in the root of the CD along with the PTE executible? Or a Flash file?

I know it will work from the hard drive, and there the files don't have to be in the root of the drive - just in the same folder.

There shouldn't be any problems finding WordPad because it's path is embedded within the Windows operating system via defaults in the hidden config.sys file. That's the reason you don't have to be in a particular place to find the majority of the Windows included utilities. Remember in the old days of DOS, we had to modify the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to place frequently used utilities in the path. Now Bill Gates and company have tried to take all that common sense away from the user and Windows has become the defacto "paternalistic" master of it's users. LOL

As long as the program being called is a common Windows utility the assumption is that it "should" already be in the path in Config.Sys. It's when you need to run executables which are not generally found in the computer that you need to include their exe file in the root. For example, I frequently call short video clips from my CD's and I often embed IrfanView on the CD and use it to run the video. I've never encountered a problem doing it this way on a wide variety of different machines with different CD/DVD drive designators so unless something has changed I'm assuming it will still work that way.

The only way that a call to a Windows utility would normally "not" work is if someone had manually changed the config.sys file on that unit to exclude these normally used utilities from the path or, if for some strange reason they had actually moved the executable code for a program from its default place so that the path in config.sys points to an incorrect folder or location.

Best regards,

Lin