WnSoft Forums

Opening Photoshop from PTE

JEB

Can someone please tell me how to open PS from PTE?

There was a post recently on the subject but I can't now find it and stupidly didn't take a note of how to set it up.

I have just been reorganising my PC drives and have moved both to a different drive and of course it wont now work.

Sorry to be a bother.

Incidently what I have done is put PS, PTE, Audition etc. on one of my two internal 160 GB drives and plan to also save any AV working resources (templates, working copies of images etc) on that drive. My other drive will be used for other applications and storage of original images. I also have an external HD on which I plan to back up valuable files.

Apart from security and general housekeeping I understand that it is beneficial to give PS as much resourse as possible - any views?

Regards

John

If you are running Windows XP and want to associate JPGs with Photoshop, do the following:

- Go to My Computer

- In the menu at the top of the screen, select Tools>Folder Options

- Under Folder Options, click on the File Types tab

- There you will find a drop-down dialog box of Registered File Types. Scroll down it until you find JPG (JPG File) and highlight it. The display box below this will now tell you what program is currently "associated" with JPG files. Presumably on your system it's something other than Photoshop. Click on the Change button that you see; a box pops up; Windows should list Adobe Photoshop (your version) as one of the "recommended" programs. Select it. If Windows doesn't list Photoshop there (unlikely), click on Browse and navigate to the Photoshop exe file under c:\program files\adobe\Photoshop(your version) and select it.

- Now keep clicking the OK buttons until you're back in My Computer.

- That's it; from now on, whenever you double-click on a JPG file in Windows Explorer, My Computer, or try to launch a JPG from within other software (like using Ctrl-W inside PTE), Windows will automatically open the JPG with Photoshop.

Sorry, I have no idea how to do any of this in other versions of Windows (though it's likely very similar).

John,

Once you have "associated" your jpeg images with Photoshop (assuming that is your default image editor), you can open an image from PTE directly by highlighting it in the slide list and clicking on "Ctrl-W". :)

If you do intend to open your images in Photoshop, then you will find things much quicker if you open Photoshop at the same time that you open PTE and then 'minimize' Photoshop. If you don't do this (especially id you are using CS) you will wait ages for your image to appear after you click on Ctrl+W.