WnSoft Forums

PTE Backup Program

boxig

Protect your pte files, things happen, and you know it.

I just uploaded a new zip to http://beechbrook.com/pte/

Inside you will find two programs (exe files) and two "Readme"

text files, one for each.

Both programs will make backup files of your pte files.

Program 1

Only one file "PTE_BackupCreator.exe" - No setup.

To remove - delete "PTE_BackupCreator.exe".

This small program will keep backup files for your

"PicturesToExe" projects files (.pte).

Write the full path and name of file to copy.

Example: C:\PTE Backup\Slide45.pte

You can write any name you want.

If the folder dose not exist - it will be created.

Then click on "Open and Save" button.

button will open the "Browse"

where you can choose your pte file.

Backup file will be created automatically.

Program 2

This small program will keep backup files for your "PicturesToExe"

projects files (.pte). The "Open" button will open the "Browse"

where you can choose your pte file. The default folder is the folder

where you keep this program, so better keep it where most of your

pte files are. After the pte file will open, close it and click the

"Save" button will save a copy of your pte chosen file under

C:\PTE\BackupFile1.pte, BackupFile2.pte and so on.

Resistant against any Gas attack, terrorists attacks or even simple delete mistakes.

Be safe and enjoy

Granot

RudiRe,

I don't know (?).

But then, we nevertheless still use "Backup" and "Copy" as two words. Seriously, this is a hint to Igor to add automatic backup so we can always go back or revive a lost file. Having a backup program usually encourage to make backups while we regularly don't do it and then sorry. And don't forget, a copy is always only a copy and not original but backup is always original backup (just joking !!).

And don't forget, a copy is always only a copy and not original but backup is always original backup... (Boxig)

Ok, it's a joke, Granot, but someway it's quite true...

However, I think it's not a job for Igor, also because a backup is useful for other files too, besides .pte!

I checked several backup programs some time ago (I'd been asked for an article by an Italian magazine), and in my opinion there is ONE software that is absolutely the best solution for a serious backup task without spending a fortune (by buying only a second Hdd, if you don't have it already).

It is Second Copy 2000, a little (1 MB) $30 shareware that can write in background customized backups (zipped or as normal copies) of a whole disk or partition, or of specific folders, subfolders etc. at definite time intervals (from 1 minute up to several days) customized for each "profile" (e.g. every 10 min for "My shows" folder, every hour for "Images" folder and so on).

Again, this software writes only changed files or directories, and copies only the new (or updated) files or directories, not ALL files each time it runs. There are a lot of possible options (you can for example save not only the last version of a file, but also keep the last "n" versions of the same file (very useful when one overwrites a file by mistake!).

Guru,

Second Copy 2000 looks a very useful for people who make many changes. I was planing to make one that checks for spies inserted while on line, which looks for new text files cookies but discovered the "Ad-aware" from "lavasoft".

RudiRe,

Notice that "PTE_backup.exe" is two clicks to save the backup to a backup folder. I think it is a little easier than copy/paste and look for/open two folders. That's why I made this first so it makes it quicker. Also it opens the pte file if you want to have a look at it The scond file "PTE_BackupCreator.exe" was made after some requests to keep the original name or to choose any name, so this also make it quicker if we want to give new names to backups files (like adding "bak" to the name).

Granot

I'm doing all my backups to zip-drive by means of the Windows briefcase. No additional software needed for that purpose.

This way, only changed files or folders are backed up as well

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Here's a joke fresh out of the academic science of semiotics:

Question:

What is an original?

Answer:

Anything, that can be copied.

Briefcase is great tool, I agree, but most of people don't use it.

Why ?

It's too awkward and cumbersome! Typical MS - they jam so many features into a program it becomes non-user-friendly (could be a lesson here for PTE :rolleyes: )

I became so thoroughly confused with the status of my files, and not knowing which was the most recent, etc, that I gave up on it.

Thanks alrobin and Guru. Now you gave me a reason to continue not using it. Too many features really turn a program to be unfriendly. That's why I like simple program that make one taks only.

Guru, did you get all my mails ? I still didn't get your final comments about my "UnregisteredMessage" program. Where are you ?

I totally disagree with you guys regarding the Windows briefcase.

Just throw anything in there, that you want to have saved, and with two mouse-clicks, you'll have backed up everything, that has been changed since your last synchronisation. That's all. Nothing to configure. Foolproof, simple and reliable.

I'm doing that on a daily basis on my zip-drive, and it's much more convenient to me than configuring an extra (costly?) program.

Call me old fashioned. I'm no particular Bill Gates lover nor hater, but I take a bow for his briefcase (and Outlook Express).

Second Copy is a good data file backup tool.

I've also played with Dantz' Retrospect 6.0, which is a flexible and well designed file backup utility. More expensive than Second Copy (aroun $75), but worth a look to compare features if you're looking for a file backup tool.

When I had to redo my Windows installation recently it was a tedious process to blow away and then reinstall windows and all my preferred apps. So I was looking around again last night for a better option, and found what looks like a great disk/partition image backup tool - Acronis' True Image 6.0. http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ There is a free fully functioning trial you can download from their site.

Just stumbled upon this last night, but my I really like what I see so far. Provides the best of both worlds - full drive/partition image creation w/out booting to DOS for operations, and allows mounting of the image file as a logical drive so you can browse it like a folder and restore individual files via simple copy/paste operations! I've used Norton's Ghost to make and restore images and like True Image better so far. Very easy to use and powerful.

It has a disaster recovery mode that allows you to create a bootable floppy, CD, or other media so you can boot to it if/when your system gets hosed and then select your archive (from CD/DVD media, and/or from a secondary hard drive) and restore your drive/partition/files. You can resize the partition during restore, change the format of the restored partition (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc.), and there are switches to make it active, primary, logical, etc. Provides adjustable compression - my 5 gig partition took up about 2.8 gigs at moderately low compression, and took about 20 minutes to create.

Its all pretty much wizard driven, and still has a lot of flexibility. I'm very impressed so far. If you want to have image backup available, it looks like a good option. What it doesn't do is unattended image creation (at least not as far as I can see) or incremental backups. Each image is a one-time snapshot of the drive(s), partition(s), or folder(s) you select.

I think it goes for about $40 or so.

Dana