WnSoft Forums

Slideshows displayed via DVD/TV

leonard

Hi everybody,

I have no difficulty producing slideshows with PTE and getting an acceptable display via the executable file(s) on a PC. The situation is totally different however when I produce a slideshow for display on a DVD/TV combination using the avi route. I have tried a number of codecs including the PTE one, but although there are some differences the end result bears little comparison with the exe.

It has been suggested that the 'problem' may lie with the PAL (or NSTC) format used with non HD TV.

Has anyone (in europe) found a solution?

I would appreciate any comments from interested members on this subject.

regards

leonard

your problem could be that whichever program you,re using for making the avi is changing the file size to something like 800 + 600 it might be worth checking to see if you can set your image size before burning

try this after clicking on the VIDEO button check the create custom video file and set the file size higher ie width / height to the same size as your pictures

your problem could be that whichever program you,re using for making the avi is changing the file size to something like 800 + 600 it might be worth checking to see if you can set your image size before burning

try this after clicking on the VIDEO button check the create custom video file and set the file size higher ie width / height to the same size as your pictures

Try looking at the thread under the following link.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....=20entry26594

Peter

Sorry PeterS, I made a hash of trying to reply to your response.

Let me try again!

When producing a PTE avi, whether or not one chooses a custom codec, one has to ensure that the O/P format is, in my case, PAL ie 720x576. Any change to that prevents the avi being loaded into Encore 2 (and for all I know any other software that is burning a DVD for show on PAL TV), so one has no control over image size. It is dictated by the input characteristics of the authoring program which must match the appropriate TV standard.

I have followed your link and as far as I can judge it doesn't help me at all.

My problem, whether or not I use Encore as the final authoring program, is at it's simplest the 'lack of image clarity' on a TV display compared with the equivalent 'show' using the PTE executable when displayed on my PC.

I have tried ULead, Premiere Elements 2, ProShow Gold etc and I get the same result. So I am at a loss to understand why other PTE user's don't have my problem. Unless of course, their shows are displayed solely on PCs - in which case I know from my own experience that the results are really first class. I wish my TV displays were in the same category.

Sorry PeterS, I made a hash of trying to reply to your response.

Let me try again!

When producing a PTE avi, whether or not one chooses a custom codec, one has to ensure that the O/P format is, in my case, PAL ie 720x576. Any change to that prevents the avi being loaded into Encore 2 (and for all I know any other software that is burning a DVD for show on PAL TV), so one has no control over image size. It is dictated by the input characteristics of the authoring program which must match the appropriate TV standard.

I have followed your link and as far as I can judge it doesn't help me at all.

My problem, whether or not I use Encore as the final authoring program, is at it's simplest the 'lack of image clarity' on a TV display compared with the equivalent 'show' using the PTE executable when displayed on my PC.

I have tried ULead, Premiere Elements 2, ProShow Gold etc and I get the same result. So I am at a loss to understand why other PTE user's don't have my problem. Unless of course, their shows are displayed solely on PCs - in which case I know from my own experience that the results are really first class. I wish my TV displays were in the same category.

I have produced several trial slide shows in PTE, burned them to DVD and played them back on avery cheap DVD player attached to my TV using the procedure that Ralph described. This is in the link I provided. The picture quality has been fine. My original pictures were taken with either a Canon Powershot G2 or an EOS 300D. I have cropped them to various sizes. One recent trial used 1920 by 1080 px saved at 72 ppi and jpeg quality 6. Following Ralphs process I changed the PTE apr.ini file so that the AVIVideoRenderWidth =1920 and AVIVideoRenderHeight=1080. I then opened the cropped pictures in PTE added music and then hit the Video button. In the Making of AVI video file panel I entered 1920 width 1080 height and left FPS as 25. I do NOT tick the interlaced video box. My understanding is that you need to remove interlacing to get video frames to show correctly as stills so I cannot see the logic in ticking this box when you start with a still picture.

Now Create AVI. The file has to be saved to a temporary location and is later deleted. Leave the file open DO NOT Finish. Open Nero Vision 4. Make DVD select DVD-Video. On the next screen go to More (at the bottom) Choose Video Options. Select PAL and on the DVD-Video tab set the 16:9 radio button. Choose Add Video Files and when the files have been added it shows Target Video Options 720 x 576 at 16:9. You cannot change this and it is presumably a result of the earlier selection of PAL and 16:9. Follow the screens as described by Ralph finally burning to DVD and you should have a perfectly acceptable picture on your TV.

I have used ProShow Gold with its own DVD burning and that has also produced good quality flicker free pictures on my PAL TV.

I have also used Premiere Elements. I got rather bad flicker with this where there were horizontal white lines such as round the edge of a picture frame. I found through Chuck Engels and the Adobe Forum that this could be removed by right clicking on a frame in the timeline, selecting Field Options and then Flicker Removal. I then just used the included DVD burning process which gave a perfectly acceptable result.

The TV quality will never match the PC screen in fine detail but I don't imagine that is waht you are looking for.

Ihope this helps. Do have another look at Ralph (Hawks) much more structured explanation and try Nero if it is available to you.

Good luck

Peter

Like you, I am dissatisfied with the quality of Slideshows produced in DVD format. Everything seems to "shimmer" so.

Now I connect my computer to the TV and display the shows as .exe files. It's a great improvement, if a little inflexible.

I'm planning this to be my future excuse, and justification, for the aquisition of an HDTV receiver, when regular transmission starts!

John

I have produced several trial slide shows in PTE, burned them to DVD and played them back on avery cheap DVD player attached to my TV using the procedure that Ralph described. This is in the link I provided. The picture quality has been fine. My original pictures were taken with either a Canon Powershot G2 or an EOS 300D. I have cropped them to various sizes. One recent trial used 1920 by 1080 px saved at 72 ppi and jpeg quality 6. Following Ralphs process I changed the PTE apr.ini file so that the AVIVideoRenderWidth =1920 and AVIVideoRenderHeight=1080. I then opened the cropped pictures in PTE added music and then hit the Video button. In the Making of AVI video file panel I entered 1920 width 1080 height and left FPS as 25. I do NOT tick the interlaced video box. My understanding is that you need to remove interlacing to get video frames to show correctly as stills so I cannot see the logic in ticking this box when you start with a still picture.

Now Create AVI. The file has to be saved to a temporary location and is later deleted. Leave the file open DO NOT Finish. Open Nero Vision 4. Make DVD select DVD-Video. On the next screen go to More (at the bottom) Choose Video Options. Select PAL and on the DVD-Video tab set the 16:9 radio button. Choose Add Video Files and when the files have been added it shows Target Video Options 720 x 576 at 16:9. You cannot change this and it is presumably a result of the earlier selection of PAL and 16:9. Follow the screens as described by Ralph finally burning to DVD and you should have a perfectly acceptable picture on your TV.

I have used ProShow Gold with its own DVD burning and that has also produced good quality flicker free pictures on my PAL TV.

I have also used Premiere Elements. I got rather bad flicker with this where there were horizontal white lines such as round the edge of a picture frame. I found through Chuck Engels and the Adobe Forum that this could be removed by right clicking on a frame in the timeline, selecting Field Options and then Flicker Removal. I then just used the included DVD burning process which gave a perfectly acceptable result.

The TV quality will never match the PC screen in fine detail but I don't imagine that is waht you are looking for.

Ihope this helps. Do have another look at Ralph (Hawks) much more structured explanation and try Nero if it is available to you.

Good luck

Peter

Peter

I noticed you said you used Nero for DVD burning. I too used Nero, one question though, which option(s) do you tick from the boxes that read 'For Adobe Encore DVD" , "For Pinaccle Studio", "For ULEAD DVD"....in fact does it make a difference?

Regards

Phil, Nottingham UK

Phil

If you are using Nero you do not check any of the other software boxes

that read 'For Adobe Encore DVD" , "For Pinaccle Studio", "For ULEAD DVD"

....in fact does it make a difference? - i belive it makes a vid file that is specific to that software

Ken

Peter

I noticed you said you used Nero for DVD burning. I too used Nero, one question though, which option(s) do you tick from the boxes that read 'For Adobe Encore DVD" , "For Pinaccle Studio", "For ULEAD DVD"....in fact does it make a difference?

Regards

Phil, Nottingham UK

Thanks Ken, I'm a new member and only purched PTE at the weekend. My first DVD burn had the Pinaccle box ticked, even though I used Nero on the resultant file (i thought you had to select one box, didn't realise you could select 'none'). The DVD played fine but did have a little shimmer on a few slides. Next time i'll try unchecking all the boxes and also unchecking interlaced video option too

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.

Regards, Phil, Nottingham, UK