WnSoft Forums

Audio files..Help with setting

Vernon Foster

I am using Realtek **97 to create voice files. Have played w/different settings in creating wave files. I understand that 8bit (as opposed to 16bit sampling)/mono (as opposed to stereo) and lower khz (vs higher khz) equates to speed, but at the cost of quality. My first try was stereo, 16bit at 44.1 KHz...BIG file that took a LONG time to load into browser from web page..Not good. So, I went the other extreme dropping from 2+ meg file to 400-500 kb file, which did not sound very good.

I am a bit ignorant in this realm and would appreciate some guidance/suggestions. I saw the audacity freeware...will that be helpful/easy to implement into my workflow? Use wave files or convert to mp3?

Many thanks! Vernon

Yes! Audacity will do most of what you need to do and of course it is FREE software.

However, if you want a better sound editor then consider 'Adobe Audition' - you should be able to get version 1.5 on Ebay at a reasonable price. Stick with version 1.5 and NOT the latest version though.

Ron

GOOD VOICE FILES

Vernon,

As some of the Audio Professional's of this Forum will advise, making 'good voice files' is probably the most difficult audio job you can undertake even in a Professional Sound Studio.

So take heart, you're not alone in this 'tricky task' and it's not all about Audio Software and Sound Formats but very much about getting your hands on a really good Microphone in the first instance. I'm not talking about the little 'Mic' that came with your PC ~ that item is a joke...bin it !

Without going "over the top" you need something like a 600 ohm Cardoid (Uni-directional) Microphone with about 5~10millevolt output with 'silent-switch' and decent XLR Connector with lo-noise cable ending up in a 3.5mm Mini-Jack Plug wired 'mono' to suit your PC (if you are going down the PC route). This to isolate ambient air-bourne Noises from Traffic and god knows what.

You will also need a good Microphone Stand (not desktop type) this to isolate Desk & Floor Noises and Fan Noise from your PC (surprisingly noisy). Total cost anywhere from $80 to $150 for something usable.

If you are a beginner avoid 'Combo-Mic Headsets' as the Headphone acoustic feedback will seriously interfer with your pre-prepared speech plan and speech delivery.

You will also need a 3rd Party Program such as "Audio Recorder Pro" or such like. This allows you to make multiple Voice Recordings in sequence and Sequence Playback so you can pick the best rendition. These Programs also allow you to choose the Recorder Sound Format such as Wav~Mp3~Raw etc,etc.

Personally I record in Mp3 Format, FM Radio Quality, 22050Hz Sampling Rate, 16 Bit which is more than adequate for Voice at FM Radio quality, taking up the minimum of file space.

Note:- (8 Bit won't deliver the Voice Range from 100Hz to 4000Hz)

These Recorder Programs actually have 'Recording Level Meters' and 'Slider Volume Controls' with Pause, Stop, Instant Replay' so you can see what you are doing at the required Audio Level necessary to achieve good recording's without 'over-level distortion' and 'under-level noise hiss.

The rest is up to Microphone usage technique ~ never speak into a Mic, speak across it and of utmost importance is the choice of a noise-free environment or the very best you can achieve.

I hope this little introduction will set you on your way and I'm sure that others may like to add further to this.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian

That was very useful information.

I always learn something from your replies.

One question:

What you suggest for recording sentences (no music at all) to get the smallest WAV possible in good quality (don't have to be the best) ?

Thank you

Granot

Ron

What's the problem with the latest version of Audition - just out of curiosity?

You seem to be rather firm in your advice here.

Den (NE UK)

There is no problem with the latest version (version 2) but I think that it is a little overcomplicated. The earlier verion (1.5) is much easier to learn and use and it is also very much cheaper on Ebay.

I agree with Brian Conflow's comments about microphones - you should try to get the best that you can afford.

Ron

There is no problem with the latest version (version 2) but I think that it is a little overcomplicated. The earlier verion (1.5) is much easier to learn and use and it is also very much cheaper on Ebay.

I agree with Brian Conflow's comments about microphones - you should try to get the best that you can afford.

Ron

If you can afford it, get the latest and best. It's excellent. Did anything worthwhile occur without a lot of effort?

:ph34r:

Brian

That was very useful information.

I always learn something from your replies.

One question:

What you suggest for recording sentences (no music at all) to get the smallest WAV possible in good quality (don't have to be the best) ?

Thank you

Granot

Hi Granot, its nice to hear from you,

It all boils down to Voice Bandwidth which is approx. 100~4000 Hz. Using 8 Bit Data Word 'chops' this into 256 segments of 16Hz per segment this irrespective of your Scanning Rate of 22050 or 44100Hz.

A variation of +/- 16Hz based on Piano Scale of middle "c" (approx..261Hz) is over 2 semitone's variation which is clearly audible to everyone barring the deaf.

Because there is little Voice data information below 250Hz you are going to loose some 16~20 segments of data (on average) when using an 8 Bit Data Word. The Voice becomes "tinny" and compressed with nearly total loss of Bass resonance so the "timbre" of that personalities Voice is lost.

An analogy would be a full range Mariachi Band which 'streams' down Music samples of their CD Songs on a limited bandwidth Server ~ they sound like an old '78 Discs much like old Carbon Microphones.

A 12 Bit Data Word would suffice for Voice. FM Stereo Radio uses (min) 14 bit to cover Voice & Music , but your nearest choice on a PC is 16 Bit because there is no other choice.

So we need a 16Bit Data Word (covers Music) the 'smallest' Sound Format would be MP3 at 22050Hz Sample Rate and the same applies to Wav Files. Personally I find the MP3 Voice renditions much better than Wav renditions because of the 'psycho-acoustic' Engineering within the MP3 format, the file is also much smaller.

** A 16Bit Data Word at 22050Hz Sampling Rate at a Bitrate of 96kbps is over-optimum for Voice on Mp3.

** (You can drop Sampling rate to 16000Hz but you run the risk of Data break-up)

** For your 'Voice Wav' a 16Bit Data Word at 22050Hz Sampling Rate, Mono Sound Setting would be ideal.

(Note:- Bitrates do not apply to Wav Files as they are Analogue not Digital Files)

Acoustic Rendition Comparisons:- The Sound quality is akin to a good FM.Stereo Radio Station which the vast majority of us can't even hear properly because our Speakers are not up to it. To hear the differences you would need something like a pair of 'Quad Electrostatic Speakers' with a few 'Quad Amplifiers' thrown in for good measure ~ provided of course we have the Hearing sensitivity of Children ?

Granot, this is probably going to evoke a spate of responses, good and bad, but I know exactly what you are trying to do, appreciaing that you write Software:- You are trying to achieve the smallest tighest Voice Wav File consistent with excellent quality and stability of rendition. Try the above technique, I guarantee you will be happy with the results.

Brian.Conflow.

While the subject of creating audio is warm, can someone solve a puzzle for me?

I'm using Cool Edit and there used to be a line at the top of tracks, in Multi-Track mode that could be "pulled" to make a sort of trapezium, to effect a reduction in the sound amplitude, of a particular track, relative to the amplitude in other tracks.

THESE USEFUL FACILITIES HAVE DISAPPEARED! probably as the result of some malpractice on my part; and I cannot figure out how to get them back.

Will be grateful for any advice.

John

John

Check this - Under View - you need to check these items to use envelope editing:-

"Show Pan envelopes" "Show Volume envelopes" "Enable envelope editing".

Sometimes they get unchecked and you are inable to 'twang' the elastic bands' !

Hope this helps

DEN (NE UK)