WnSoft Forums

How to fade the music?

LigiaD

Note: 1 MB = 1024 kb

AUDIO

One minute of 16bit / 44.1 kHz audio = 10.3 MB

45 mins x 10.3 MB = 474 MB of audio approx

.................snip..................

If you don't want to sacrifice image quality but need to compact the audio files a little, then you could use 320 kbps setting when you encode your MP3s. This has a higher quality.

I usually encode my MP3's at 128 kbps, 44.1 kHz. You would be hard-pressed to distinguish the difference in quality between these and their "wav" files. Especially in a large auditorium full of people.

As a rule of thumb, 1 minute of music = 1 Mb in file size.

Al, Andre,

Thanks very much for the wonderful and invaluable information; I am getting a better understanding about the music and its size.

I am also getting quite worried about my current laptop capabilities. If it comes to worse, I would take my PC to present the show. However, I am also looking into purchasing a new laptop and would like your advice. Here are some of the specs of one that I have my eyes on:

Intel Dual Core T2500/2MB cache/2.0GHz/667MHz FSB

Memory: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 DIMM

HD: 100 GB 7200RPM

Video Card: Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 950. (It is integrated with the processor, no choice for selecting a different one).

The size of the show might grow to 1GB with the music. I would have about 450 images because I am planning on 5 to 6 sec/image; except for the composites of the titles which should have a much shorter transition in between. Six sec/image might seem long, but it is how my friends who use slide projectors have timed their images. If it is too long, I might change one or two segments to just talking and no music; anything but presenting one-thousand images !!!!!!!!!!! :D

Have a great day! ------------------- Ligia

Ligia,

You should have no problem running PTE 5.0 on that laptop. With 224 Mb of video RAM, DrectX 9 hardware acceleration, HDTV support, etc., it should be more than adequate for the most demanding requirements. The wide screen capability is almost a must now-days, too. The dual monitor capability will be nice to have, too.

However, just to be sure, see if you can try it out first with Igor's demo PTE 5.0 shows.

Hi John,

In the old days this was called "level matching" - for sound editors working in film it was something of an art, to make sure all the dialogue tracks sounded consistent from scene to scene. It's easier to do these days but it still requires attentive listening and quite a bit of practice.

Andre, I'm very grateful to you for that clear and detailed information. I'll do as you suggest and let you know how I get on.

There is always something new to learn in this AV world. This "control of sound", aspect makes you realise just how slick producers of films (movies) and TV material must be.

John

Al,

Thanks for your prompt response; I went ahead and ordered the laptop, should get it in about a week or so. If at least it runs PTE v4.48, I would be happy; need to get ready. Perhaps my projects with PTE 5 would not be as long as the current one and every thing will be fine. You would not believe what I have gotten into for my first project: it is a major presentation ... I am getting butterflies in my stomach just to think about it ... it has to be perfect ... the responsibility is enornous!

Hopefully, I will be able to pull it through with all the help that you, Andre and Ken have provided. Cross my fingers ...

Best, ----------------- Ligia