WnSoft Forums

PTE 5.0

ronwil

Just in case any of my friends missed my announcement under my earlier thread on "Missing Instructions" I have now added a link tomy first effort on my website (see below). Open the site and select "Links". At the lower left of the page click on the thumbnail of a warship to download. Don't forget to press "Esc" when you have done. I have not added the whole folder because of size.

It is just an idea that I had and obviously would need improvement for serious use. I used two images, taken by my elder grandson David, which I had readily on file. *.png images of HMS Gloucester were created in Photoshop using the polygonal lasso tool and quick mask. The background was created also in Photoshop by cloning out vessels, buoys etc.

Ron [uK]

Hello Ron,

A very neat idea. Sort of along the lines of Lin Evans 3D demonstration.

A bit of effort in Photoshop, I bet.

The music caused me to stand and salute.

Thanks for sharing....

Ken

:D

Thanks Ken. Lin and others had a share in my tuition.

Ron [uK]

Thanks for sharing Ron

Tell me though, is the first slide without any boats taken "without any boats" and then another one taken from the same position with the boat included or as Ken suggests have you been doing some masking in Photoshop??

Andrew

The background was produced in Photoshop by cloning out a couple of ships and a buoy from the second image in the sequence. I have since added a fighter plane (Spitfire) passing across on the last image. I have altered my link setting to show this. Thanks for watching.

Ron [uK]

• 4 weeks later...

John, in a current topic "Route progress on a map", wrote of giving "...the impression of forshortening, as the boat came bows on". This gave me the idea that I might try using a partial adaptation of the "Medallion" technique to make my destroyer veer as it comes up harbour.

I have found it works and have modified the link which I quoted above. Let me know what you think.

Ron [uK]

I have found it works and have modified the link which I quoted above. Let me know what you think.

To be honest, Ron, I'm not convinced with your modification. From my point of view, the deformation it's too much visible and abrupt. :unsure:

BUT I think you gonna have a lot of help to do it smoother with a (/the?) next beta and the new ability to add an option to PZR : linear, decellerate, accelerate, .... (accelarate in your case). :)

Yes you are quite right in your assessment but it does show the possibilities, when used with more care and a better graphics card. Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Ron [uK]

Ron,

I think perhaps you "over-egged the pudding" somewhat. A case of over enthusiastic use of port wheel by the helmsman!

I think the effect would work better if:

a) the ships speed through the water was a bit slower. These modern, welded sardine cans of ships are not as fleet of foot as they ought to be!

B) she heeled a bit to starboard, during the turn.

c) the turn was a little more leisurely.

To be quite honest though, I don't think the technique (if it's even worthy of that term) will serve in any other circumstance than when the subject is both small and on the screen for a very short duration. For the final version of my map project I have abandonned it. Instead, I'm using another image (of a location along the route) to cover up the awkward transition.

Your sequence, however, made me quite nostalgic. I served in Destroyers for many years and have never really managed to totally assimilate shoregoing life.

Best wishes

John

• 2 months later...

I have removed the link from my site.

Ron [uK]