WnSoft Forums

Question??

Lin Evans

Could someone explain how the free transform effects work (moving object in perspective such as flipping a silver dollar to show first one side then the other), or as Cèlou did with the cards.

I understand how to do this in real time in PhotoShop, but how does one save the entire process as a motion to be used in p2e?

Lin

Hi Lin

This is an optical illusion. It looks like the object - eg the back of a card - is zoomed from 100 to 0 along the x-axis only. This gives the impression that it is turning towards you. Then a second object - eg the face of a card - is introduced to replace the first object with a zoom from 0 to 100, this creating the "turning" effect.

I made a similar sequence in GlobFX some years ago using this technique, so I assume that's what is happening!

Ian

Hi Lin

This is an optical illusion. It looks like the object - eg the back of a card - is zoomed from 100 to 0 along the x-axis only. This gives the impression that it is turning towards you. Then a second object - eg the face of a card - is introduced to replace the first object with a zoom from 0 to 100, this creating the "turning" effect.

I made a similar sequence in GlobFX some years ago using this technique, so I assume that's what is happening!

Ian

Ian - thanks so much, that's exactly what is happening with the pan being moved simultaneously to create the new position as if the object had flipped. I'm feeling really dumb now for not noticing the tiny block in the center between the X and Y axis on the p2e Objects and Animation screen which toggles between locking the X and Y axis and allowing independent action of each.

I was looking for a difficult explanation by trying to "puzzle" out how one could save a range of free transform perspective changes in PhotoShop and scratching my head.... silly me - LOL

Thanks again,

Lin

Thanks to Ian and Cèlou I now understand that something I thought must have been done in PhotoShop was easily done right in PicturesToExe !!

I've heard others ask how this was done in the past so I put a simple demo together in P2E and here's a link. It's a Morgan Dollar rotating. I put an "edge" on it at the zero point to simulate what you might see in a real time rotation.

It's difficult to see the keypoints so I almost didn't post this - I don't want to create more confusion. The issue is that it's necessary to keep the opacity at 100% until the point where the object rotating on the vertical or horizontal axis becomes essentially a line then make it disappear very quickly while simultaneously causing the opposite side to "appear" suddenly. The opposite side has to be kept invisible until essentially the identical point where the first side disappears.

To do the above requires two keypoints at nearly identical points on the timeline. Because we have no way of making one of the keypoints transparent or nearly so, we really can't "see" the keypoint underneath. This "can" create confusion if you are not aware of it.

Think of an object which is being "rotated" on the horizontal axis and which must be visible at 100% opacity until it turns edgewise. So to keep it at 100% opacity and suddenly go to zero opacity we need a keypoint very, very close to the zero opacity point which is at 100% opacity. This keeps the object from fading gradually away to zero and rather suddenly disappearing.

The converse is of course true for the opposite side. Stay at zero opacity then suddenly appear. So don't get confused but rather trust the numbers when you enter them.

here's the link:

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/morgandollar.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Gee Lin i hope your wife keeps working and Al's wife dont get on his case about the theatre room - I think that other Ken would be able to hire somebody to cut his grass- you guys are doing great work

thks

ken B)

LOL - she's cutting me some slack now because I'm like a kid in a candy store with all these new features, but she will put me back to work very, very soon I think - HA!

Lin

Thanks Guys

A surprisingly effective and simple technique. I had forgotten how well it can work. With a little more twiddling the edge can be made to move ever so slightly and fade in and out a little more slowly to reinforce the feeling of rotation.

I found the "Main Image" tick box. I like it. :lol:

Mike