WnSoft Forums

Graphics Card Update

JohnFeg

Having now made several trial shows using V.5 beta 2, I'm pretty sure my card is struggling - (it's an NVIDEA Ge Force 6200 Turbo Cache

All my animations display, but, the zooms are a bit "jerky".

Now, taking the cue from my dear old Mother. Who always bought us as children shoes that were too large. (the number of sizes in excess being directly propotional to the state of the family budget!).

So I'm considering a card, with "a bit of slack", in anticipation of Ivors future application improvements.

I've found this beast, a Gainward 7950 GX2 PCI-E with 1Gb. of RAM, but honestly have no idea whether, or not, comparable performance improvement could be gained at a lower price? I'm really only interested in what it will do, relating to PTE.

If any of you computer experts have any views on this matter, I' be very grateful to hear them.

John

John,

I'm not personally familiar with this card, but it sounds a bit like "overkill". However, I'm sure it would handle PTE "hands down", as they say. It's supposed to be the ultimate solution for video games. B)

You would probably be just as well off with only 128 Mb of video RAM. I paid less than $200 CDN for my ATI Radeon 9600 card (that's only about £100). One thing you run into with the really high-end video cards is cooling problems, and you might have to install extra fans to keep everything cool, as it's 2 video cards in one.

Another consideration is whether your present card is PCI or AGP, and which type your pc is able to handle.

Make sure you check out all the implications before you buy. There is lots of information on the web.

The ATI Radeon 9800 might be a better choice. But, if you are into video games and HDTV as well, go for it! :)

John,

You would probably be just as well off with only 128 Mb of video RAM. I paid less than $200 CDN for my ATI Radeon 9600 card (that's only about £100).

Al,

that sound good advice. I'm not in the slightest interested in games and I'd much rather get something that has been tested in the PTE environment.

The Radeon is additionally a hell of a lot cheaper.

Next time you're in the UK I'll buy you a beer.

Regards

John

Al,

that sound good advice. I'm not in the slightest interested in games and I'd much rather get something that has been tested in the PTE environment.

The Radeon is additionally a hell of a lot cheaper.

Next time you're in the UK I'll buy you a beer.

Regards

John

You're on - please send me your address so I can look you up on Google Earth! :)

You're on - please send me your address so I can look you up on Google Earth! :)

Our

Our village, Cheddleton, is so small (but, it boasts 3 pubs) that it probably is not listed. Look, then, for Leek (not the vegetable!) in North Staffordshire. Cheddleton is about 3 miles south on the A 520 road.

You can even get cool beer in this day and age.

John

John,

Before buying a new card, make sure that you have updated your NVidea drivers to the very very latest, and that your motherboard drivers are updated too - especially if they use an NVidea chipset eg Nforce2/3 etc.

I bought a 256Mb XFX6200 for an older PC a few weeks back and seemed to have major problems with it and PTE5 Beta - with Igor's help I finally managed to nail the problem to the Motherboard NVidea drivers not being fully up to date and not fully installing. Once that was sorted out, then the XFX6200 performs without issue - even on the old AMD Athlon 1250 PC.

HTH

Our village, Cheddleton, is so small (but, it boasts 3 pubs) that it probably is not listed. Look, then, for Leek (not the vegetable!) in North Staffordshire. Cheddleton is about 3 miles south on the A 520 road.

You can even get cool beer in this day and age.

OK, I found Cheddleton - what is the street address? (for the pub, that is! :) )

John,

Before buying a new card, make sure that you have updated your NVidea drivers to the very very latest, and that your motherboard drivers are updated too - especially if they use an NVidea chipset eg Nforce2/3 etc.

I bought a 256Mb XFX6200 for an older PC a few weeks back and seemed to have major problems with it and PTE5 Beta - with Igor's help I finally managed to nail the problem to the Motherboard NVidea drivers not being fully up to date and not fully installing. Once that was sorted out, then the XFX6200 performs without issue - even on the old AMD Athlon 1250 PC.

HTH

Thanks for that, by suggesting that I update the existing drivers, do you mean my existing card is otherwise adequate?

John

OK, I found Cheddleton - what is the street address? (for the pub, that is! :) )

Al,

now that I've discovered the wonders of Google Earth, I'll send you a marked up screen print in the moring.

Regards

John :D

Al,

now that I've discovered the wonders of Google Earth, I'll send you a marked up screen print in the moring.

Regards

John :D

John,

Maybe you don't know about this feature of GoggleEarth, but you can directly send a GoogleEarth's PlaceMark.

If you want to automatically open GoogleEarth and fly to my home, just click here. :)

Dominque's place for those that have google earth

Ken, the image of chez Thedom and the view over Seville, which I'm considering for a rehash of my boat trip show, are both remarkably clear. If you look at the image of my village, Cheddleton, it's nowhere near as good. It cannot just be our Staffordshire weather!

John

John

i sent you email 2 days ago explaining my observations

I will send again

what i added today

there are areas that are hi res, med res and low res - think your area is in the lo res area

the dom's area is hi res - there might even be an xtra hi res area

if you go to the left to HANLEY or south to churchbridge they are the same as thedom's

ken

ken

there are areas that are hi res, med res and low res - think your area is in the lo res area

the dom's area is hi res - there might even be an xtra hi res area

if you go to the left to HANLEY or south to churchbridge they are the same as thedom's

ken

Thanks for that Ken, looking on the bright side, at leastyou can't see how neglected my garden is since V 5 Came out. :P

John