WnSoft Forums

new here...

Deanna

I am trying to make a slideshow for a wedding...

its all good on my puter...and burned to DVD

my question is...its huge..like 12 MB...how much smaller do I need to make it so I can ulpoad to my own server and share it as a link for others to view?

and also how do I do that..

the images are already 72 dpi...about 500 px long side...

its just over 7 minutes...with 125 images...

... my question is...its huge..like 12 MB...how much smaller do I need to make it so I can ulpoad to my own server and share it as a link for others to view?

Hi, Deanna,

Welcome to the Forum!

As Gilio says, it's not very large for a 7-minute show. Most shows are multi-Mb in size.

You can get an idea of how large your show will be by adding up all the image and music file sizes, as PTE does not compress things and adds an additional Mb or two with its built-in player. (If you use an image twice, don't add another amount for its file size, as once an image is used already, it does not require additional space to use it again.)

... and also how do I do that..

You can reduce the size of a show by lowering the jpeg quality of the images, or the mp3 quality of the music. And, you can reduce the size further by using smaller images.

Also, "MIDI" music requires much less file space than mp3, but may not meet your needs for the show. "Wave" format for music is usually much too large, so most producers use mp3.

ok i didnt think it was that big...

so i guess it must be a server thing then? it just says loading forever...then it times out...

Deanna,

Do you have a broadband connection? However, even with that, uploading usually takes much longer than downloading, due to the asymmetric nature of broadband.

However, I have no trouble uploading or downloading large files, so it must be due either to too low a bandwidth on your ISP connection, or a very busy server. :)

Deanna,

With DVDs so cheap now, take the cowards way out!, send 'em disks by snail mail. For wedding shows it's probably the most useful way to distribute it anyway. Call me old fashioned. :o

John

my question is...its huge..like 12 MB...how much smaller do I need to make it so I can ulpoad to my own server and share it as a link for others to view?

and also how do I do that..

Hi Deanna,

By "share it as a link" do you mean so it will "play" as a slideshow when they click the link, or as a link which they can click on to download the slideshow? They are quite different animals.

If you want then to be able to play it in realtime on anything other than a broadband system, then you need to convert it to Flash. On the other hand if everyone has broadband in your network you can simply upload an AVI file to your site and provide a link to the actual AVI file. When you say it's 12 megabyte, do you mean as an executable file, or as an AVI file?

If executable, it wll be much larger as an AVI and may be too large for this to work correctly. If you mean 12 megabytes as an AVI then when they click on your link, they will have to wait however long it takes for their systems to completely download the AVI file before play begins. There is no "preload" or spooling on AVI files.

If you want the slideshow to spool out and you don't want to spend a fortune, then you may want to look at the free Riva encoder and the $30 Riva Producer Lite program. This program will convert your slideshow to a Flash FLV file which can spool out and be played by anyone who clicks your link and has Flash installed on their own computer. If they don't already have Flash installed, the Riva program will prompt them and send them to the MacroMedia (Adobe) site for a Flash install.

Flash FLV is the least expensive way of creating a file which will begin play almost immediately. Flash FLV is a "progressive" download which looks and feels just like server side streaming except in reality the show is being downloaded to the users computer on a temporary folder on their hard disk and streamed from that location.

Let us know which you are discussing and then we can provide links to appropriate solutions.

Best regards,

Lin

wow once again thank you for your help...its a 12mb exe file..not an AVI...

I think I wanted it so they could just click and view it without having to download it to their puter....

I will try your suggestions...

thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

wow once again thank you for your help...its a 12mb exe file..not an AVI...

I think I wanted it so they could just click and view it without having to download it to their puter....

I will try your suggestions...

thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

Hi Deanna,

If you run into problems, just let us know and we can help you get going. Be sure to keep in mind that you will run into all types of programs which "convert" AVI files to Flash, but all are not suitable for what you want to do.

A little explanation is in order. There are two basic types of Flash files: Flash SWF and Flash FLV. There are many programs which convert to Flash SWF but only a few which convert to Flash FLV.

Flash SWF has some inherent limitations which make it less suitable for serious slideshows than Flash FLV. SWF format has an absolute limitation of 16,000 frames per instance (per slideshow). To get decent quality you want 29.97 frames per second (use 30 frames per second as a reference for the math). This means that you create 30 frames for every one second of the slideshow. If the slideshow is 9 minutes in length, times 60 seconds per minute = 540 seconds times 30 frames per second = 16,200 frames so a nine minute slideshow won't quite work with Flash SWF. The other issue is synchronization of sound. Flash SWF doesn't reliably sync sound past two minutes.

The bottom line is that you really need Flash FLV which has no absolute limit for the number of frames and syncs sound perfectly.

Some of us have been down this road for several years. The "least" expensive way to do this is with Riva Producer Lite. It's inexpensive, works well and creates all the files you need to load the show to your website. This includes the SWF player, the FLV file (it takes an SWF player to run the Flash FLV slideshow as strange as that may sound) and the html code to link to which not only plays the slideshow in the player on the web, but also detects the absence of the proper iteration of Flash on the visitor's computer and redirects them to the MacroMedia site to quickly download and install the necessary Flash player on their own computer. This only takes a few seconds.

There are multiple iterations of Flash out there. The latest and perhaps best is Flash 8. Riva only supports up to Flash 5 and Flash 8 creates smaller code and plays very, very well, but to get Flash 8 with all the necessary bells and whistles including a player costs about $250. Believe me (I use both Riva and On2 Technology's Flix Pro which is a Flash 8 generator) Riva is the far less expensive way to go and produces very nice code even if not the latest and greatest. It's also much, much easier to use than any of the three companies (On2 Technology's Flix Pro, Sorensen Squeeze or Wildform's Wild Presenter) products which produce Flash 8 FLV files in a usable package. The least expensive of these is FLix Pro (also I think the best) at $250 but support is marginal and if you don't know what you are doing you will be lost. There is also a Flix Lite product, but it doesn't include a player and doesn't produce a file to detect flash 8 so the user has little control - not recommended.

Again, let us know how you get along and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask for some help.

Best regards,

Lin