WnSoft Forums

Trouble with returning to menu

bryanstubbs

I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem to the one we have at present on our Leeds AV Group computer?

When a show of several PTE sequences is being run from a menu created in PTE, on some occassions at the end of a sequence the computer hangs and will not return to the menu. The individual sequences run OK and on other computers they run OK from the menu. The problem seems to be random, it does not happen with every sequence. The club computer has been checked for viruses etc and all seems well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Stubbs

I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem to the one we have at present on our Leeds AV Group computer?

When a show of several PTE sequences is being run from a menu created in PTE, on some occassions at the end of a sequence the computer hangs and will not return to the menu. The individual sequences run OK and on other computers they run OK from the menu. The problem seems to be random, it does not happen with every sequence. The club computer has been checked for viruses etc and all seems well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Stubbs

The first thing I would do is to dump all other programs running in the background through the task manager including any anti-virus programs and see if you still have the same problem. Next I would have a check done to determine if there is a possibility of some bad RAM.

Some programs are bad about not releasing RAM back to the system after they run - I've actually had software which would, over time, pull down 2 gigabytes of RAM and cause crashes. The fact that the problem may be intermittant may have to do with which PTE programs you run first and how much RAM they require. If the system is low on user memory because of memory leak from badly behaved software or because of defective RAM chips, then it could explain why the program might hang rather than return to the menu which is actually the process of opening another executable file.

Best regards,

Lin

Yes, I agree with Lin ~ its a classic 'User RAM' symptom, if its not a 'bad RAM Chip' (rare these days) it is

probably too little RAM installed on the PC in the first instance which also effects Virtual Memory allocation.

In this situation the PC appears to run correctly (with the occassional stagger) then 'locks-up' when

you try to terminate the Program(s) it does this because it can't make access to sufficient User RAM

to terminate the process and return to normal.

(XP's require some 35.Mb of Residual 'User RAM' for their own functionality).

As a temporary remedy

* Shut down any Anti-Virus Program(s) particularily Norton and Google 'Search-Page' Spyware.

* Make sure 'Adobe Reader' is actually shut-down, it tends to run in the background.

* Shut down any Printers (particularily Epsons) ~ untick the 'Default Printer Icon'

* Now Defrag the Hard Drive because Orphan File & Fragments get in the way of System Exit's.

* Use a 'System Cleaner' that removes residual 'junk' from the HD. (Often exceeds 40.Mb)

Below is a 'Link' to an excellent Disc-Cleaner which runs on ALL Operating Systems.

http://www.diskcleaner.nl/

Hope this helps...

Brian.Conflow.

Yes, I agree with Lin ~ its a classic 'User RAM' symptom, if its not a 'bad RAM Chip' (rare these days) it is

probably too little RAM installed on the PC in the first instance which also effects Virtual Memory allocation.

In this situation the PC appears to run correctly (with the occassional stagger) then 'locks-up' when

you try to terminate the Program(s) it does this because it can't make access to sufficient User RAM

to terminate the process and return to normal.

(XP's require some 35.Mb of Residual 'User RAM' for their own functionality).

As a temporary remedy

* Shut down any Anti-Virus Program(s) particularily Norton and Google 'Search-Page' Spyware.

* Make sure 'Adobe Reader' is actually shut-down, it tends to run in the background.

* Shut down any Printers (particularily Epsons) ~ untick the 'Default Printer Icon'

* Now Defrag the Hard Drive because Orphan File & Fragments get in the way of System Exit's.

* Use a 'System Cleaner' that removes residual 'junk' from the HD. (Often exceeds 40.Mb)

Below is a 'Link' to an excellent Disc-Cleaner which runs on ALL Operating Systems.

http://www.diskcleaner.nl/

Hope this helps...

Brian.Conflow.

Many thanks to both of you for your suggestions. We'll try them out.