WnSoft Forums

Music

mikej998

I hate to bring up the subject again but...

A long while back I read a post here that talked about an organization in England that you could belong to, which would allow you to obtain license(s) to use copyrighted music in your slide shows for either private or commercial use. I am a professional photographer and get asked quite often to use new popular music for a slideshow. My question is, does anyone know about such an organization in the United States? I am hoping to find one (if it exists) that can grant me the use of almost any song for use on slide shows that I sell as part of my business. I would even be willing to pay for every song, for every use if I need to, I just need to know how to go about it.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I'm not sure what the rules are in the US but a good place to start would be, MRCPS. The machanical recording copyright protection society. There are diferent leveles of licence for diferent requirements based on the potental audience and financial rewards. You can usually find contact info on most CDs.

Happy St Paddy's day from the Emerald Isle,

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

I'm by no means an expert on this issue but yesterady I checked with a couple organizations here in Canada and from what I understand, there are two licence types, a mechanical and syncronization. We need a sycronization licence for each production we create and that the licence holder has to approve the presentation to make sure the music is used in an appropriate manner. I was told there is, at least here in Canada, not a blanket licence like the mechanical licence (that is used for the creation of music reproductions where you pay by the number copy and number of songs) for film, video or multimedia use. Again, I'm not an expert here on this but this is what I was told was the case for Canada. Other countries may have different rules.

I decided it was easier to buy royalty free background music for my slide shows.

Don

www.dc2photography.com