WnSoft Forums

Recovering JPEG's from PTE

mcat

Is this possible? I made 2 slide shows of photographs which were stored on my external hard drive. Unfortunately my husband dropped a vase on the HD crashing it and the data is non recoverable by any of the disc drive recovery companies. My city wants to use a series of some of my photographs on their web site and I am wondering if there is any way I can recover the JPEG's from the saved slide shows that I have on my internal HD. I've tried to stop the show, right click etc but can't access the pictures. Any tips? This has been a nightmare for me. These were pictures that were to go into a book. I lost a year of photography of nesting herons and now have to start over. At least I have 3 hard drives now--two internal and one external and do backups to an internal and external and burn a DVD. Just a voice of warning to anyone who is putting off doing that backup!

Thanks for any help--

Catherine

Is this possible? I made 2 slide shows of photographs which were stored on my external hard drive. Unfortunately my husband dropped a vase on the HD crashing it and the data is non recoverable by any of the disc drive recovery companies. My city wants to use a series of some of my photographs on their web site and I am wondering if there is any way I can recover the JPEG's from the saved slide shows that I have on my internal HD. I've tried to stop the show, right click etc but can't access the pictures. Any tips? This has been a nightmare for me. These were pictures that were to go into a book. I lost a year of photography of nesting herons and now have to start over. At least I have 3 hard drives now--two internal and one external and do backups to an internal and external and burn a DVD. Just a voice of warning to anyone who is putting off doing that backup!

Thanks for any help--

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Unfortunately, the only feasible way to recover the images is via screen capture software. There are a number of good screen capture utilities available and if you have reasonable display time (at least a couple seconds) you can definitely recover the images, but sadly only at screen resolution. If you know what the resolution was on the originals, then the best way would be to play the show on a high resolution system so the higher the display resolution the more likely it will be to capture higher resolution frames.

One of our forum members in Thailand, Granot, has a very nice screen capture utility availabe called "Restore PTE" which automatically names the images (1, 2, 3, etc.) and stores them in a separate folder so you can very quickly capture a large number by simply pressing a key as they appear. Here's a link:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/

Scroll down and look at the very top of the last group (the largest one) of programs....

Best regards,

Lin

You can always hit the "prt scr" (print screen) key on your keyboard when an image is on screen. This will copy it to the Windows Clipboard. Then open up Paint and you can paste it there. Then you can save it in various formats in paint (gif, jpeg, etc). Then you can open the image in photo editing software. I tried this and with my monitor I get a resoultion of 96 px/in. You will have to crop the images unless the image takes up the whole screen. It's a tedious process, but it will work. The program Lin mentioned sounds like a better method, but I thought I would metion that this will work as well.

Since you had this problem, I thought I might share an incident I had. Lightning hit very close to our house (in 2002). We have vinyl coated aluminum siding which makes a great conductor for electricity. Well, the bolt of lightning ended up going through our house and basically killed anything electronic in the house. All TV's, all computers, all circuit boards in appliances, etc. Luckily, I had backups of anything important on "zip" cartridges (remember those) and CD's so I didn't lose anything of real importance. But a word of wisdom, make sure you backup important files (multiple backups) and store them at different locations. Don't just rely on hard drives as they are mechanical and can fail. There are plenty of online companies where you can buy space on a server to backup files as well. Some of these services are free, but the upload abiltiy may be limited. It definitley gives you peace of mind.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for any help--

Catherine

a friend of mine said that the MAC program "File Juicer" will extract jpgs and mp3s from all exe shows and corrupted discs as well

a friend of mine said that the MAC program "File Juicer" will extract jpgs and mp3s from all exe shows and corrupted discs as well

Craig,

There are numerous decompilers available for Windows, etc., which can reverse engineer executable code, but that's not legal and is in violation of multple international copyright laws nor is the use of a MacIntosh program to do likewise legal.

People are looking for a legal solution to retrieve their images from executable code.

Best regards,

Lin

Craig,

There are numerous decompilers available for Windows, etc., which can reverse engineer executable code, but that's not legal and is in violation of multple international copyright laws nor is the use of a MacIntosh program to do likewise legal.

People are looking for a legal solution to retrieve their images from executable code.

Best regards,

Lin

the point is is its out there!

I agree that decompiling a show that someone else made is moraly wrong......but we are talking about retriving lost work and lost photos.....the copyright owners work....

even if decompiling that show is the only answer....it MUST be done!