WnSoft Forums

P2Exe Backwards Compatability

mbskels

Hi,

Tried to open a pte file created March 2005 using my current version (4.48) and got a Windows error message box "No Disk" which I cannot then close. Ended apr.exe using Task Manager but still could not close windows error dialog box - later discovered apr.exe is actually still running in background - can still see it in applications list. Have to reboot to recover. Suspect from error messages at reboot that there is a problem with a dll.

Can anyone advise whether there is a backwards compatibility issue with p2Exe. I have tried opening other pte files created before 2006 and get the same problem.

I have changed computer and OS since creating original pte file from WS2000 to XP2 Pro. pte file was created originally with v4.40 beta 4.

Any advice?

TIA

Malcolm

Hi,

Tried to open a pte file created March 2005 using my current version (4.48) and got a Windows error message box "No Disk" which I cannot then close. Ended apr.exe using Task Manager but still could not close windows error dialog box - later discovered apr.exe is actually still running in background - can still see it in applications list. Have to reboot to recover. Suspect from error messages at reboot that there is a problem with a dll.

Can anyone advise whether there is a backwards compatibility issue with p2Exe. I have tried opening other pte files created before 2006 and get the same problem.

I have changed computer and OS since creating original pte file from WS2000 to XP2 Pro. pte file was created originally with v4.40 beta 4.

Any advice?

TIA

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

There is no backward compatibility issues with P2E except that the beta version do not yet have all the bells and whistles of the release version so even though you can do things with the beta (pan, zoom, rotate, etc.) which you couldn't do with the release versions, you can't as yet use text, complete music sync, etc.

Your expressed problem almost certainly is one of the program not finding the files where they are "expected" by analysis of the pte file. Once you change computers and create different folders, etc., the program may no longer be able to locate the necessary files. It's possible to read the pte file in an editor such as Word or WordPad (but don't "save" it) then place the files such as images in the proper expected folders and with the correct drive designations. This will allow the later version to find the files and work.

The new version 5 will have solved this problem because of the ability to "zip" all necessary files and move them as a group wherever you wish or need. This feature is already enabled from the "File" menu in the betas.

Best regards,

Lin