WnSoft Forums

Multi-slideshows

Peter N

This may have been done before. If so I apologise but this is my way of dividing a big presentation into several chunks that can be accessed easily within a single presentation. It also helps in that awful situation when a technical hitch halts a slideshow midway and you have to restart from the beginning and wish instead you could restart partway through. It also helps you be selective with what you show to different audiences.

It is based on a menu prepared as a single slide slideshow made with v4.48. The on-time is set to 20 secs and the "keep last slide on screen" box is activated. The single slide is then annotated with as many buttons as there are "chunks". These are spaced, sized and labelled and set to activate individual exe's stored in the same folder. The backing slide is chosen to reflect the topic of the presentation. I am now using version v5 b7 for the mini-slideshows. These are set to close after the last slide so you are returned to the menu "slideshow" after each one has been run. The menu stays invisibly on screen (i.e.behind) throughout the mini-slideshows or until you decide to close it down. The mini-slideshows can, of course, be selected randomly from the menu as required. I would show you a screen grab of an example menu slide if I knew how to attach it to this post. In my hands this technique is proving to be very useful. I hope it gives someone else some inspiration.

Hello Al,

Could you please tell me the name of the 'tutorial' show that you mention is on the Beechbrook site.

Ron

"AVShow Menu Tutorial" (on the page I linked to on my last post). It's very detailed. :)

Your image came through OK Chemop as an example of an introductory page to a multi-session show. Currently this can only be done in PTE Version 4.0. We are waiting for the facility to be activate in Version 5.0. A number of members of the forum including myself have contributed to this topic in previous threads on the forum. One of mine is our Club logo surrounded by portraits of members of our AV group, where you click on the portrait to open that particular member's sequence. The folder including the actual introductory sequence itself is on my website under Links. You can try all sorts of things to suit the programme. Good luck

Ron [uK]

post-8-1164381491_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a few quick questions on Multi-slideshows...

1. Can this be done on the latest PTE5.0 beta? Or is this a PTE4.x only feature? I can't see to find the properties option for the objects I created that I want to link. I only have PTE5.0 installed. With the powerful motion/pan/zoom, it would be cool to have a semi moving menu (ie. with snowfalls and or floating leaves)

2. If anyone has done this, how smooth is the transitions from the menu to the other PTE exe slideshows?

3. Is it possible to do multi-slideshows on one exe file like Pro Gold Show?

4. Can the buttons be animated to flash or zoom out to open other PTE exe slideshows?

Thank you. Sorry if this is too many questions... I just got PTE a few weeks ago and now am just learning to use it.

Warmest regards,

-Garic

Just a few quick questions on Multi-slideshows...

1. Can this be done on the latest PTE5.0 beta? Or is this a PTE4.x only feature?

It can be done only in PTE4.x right now.

But as soon as the "start external application" feature will be re-integrated in PTEv5, you will have the ability to do it in this version.

Probably in beta #10 or #11...

I can't see to find the properties option for the objects I created that I want to link.

Same kind of answer.

The "add button" feature is not yet avalaible in v5.

Neither the hyperlinks.

Both will be avalaible in beta #10 or #11...

2. If anyone has done this, how smooth is the transitions from the menu to the other PTE exe slideshows?

There is no problem with transitions.

You can download a sample I made here to judge :

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=32927

3. Is it possible to do multi-slideshows on one exe file like Pro Gold Show?

No but you can link them : at the end of slideshow 1, start slideshow 2, at the end of slideshow 2, start slideshow 3, etc...

So it's about the same thing.

4. Can the buttons be animated to flash or zoom out to open other PTE exe slideshows?

It's a very interesting question. I'm quite sure Igor do not plan to include flash animations.

But there is a good chance that we will have the ability to apply Pan/zoom/rotate to buttons.

Thank you for your answer. I just downloaded PTE4.48 and created the menu. I seemed to run into a few problems which I hope others could help.

1. In version 4.48, if the picture is too wide to cover the screen, I cannot resize the picture via the object editor as I can version 5.0. I do not worry too much about this as there are work-arounds to resize the pictures via an external application.

2. When I added music to the menu and linked a menu button to an external PTE exe show, the music from the menu do not stop when the external PTE exe show starts so you hear both tracks at the same time. Is there a way to fade away the menu music? I start the v5 external PTE exe show by clicking on a menu button object created in v4.48.

3. The menu was created (in 4.48) to slowly fade in (3 seconds) and the music starts. When a menu button is clicked to start an external PTE exe show, the menu abruptly went black insead of slowly fading out the menu to the v5 PTE exe slideshow. Is there a way to fade out the image on the menu instead of an abrupt disappearance? The v5 PTE slideshow fades in perfectly though.

Thank you.

Warmest regards,

-Garic

1. In version 4.48, if the picture is too wide to cover the screen, I cannot resize the picture via the object editor as I can version 5.0. I do not worry too much about this as there are work-arounds to resize the pictures via an external application.

This is true. The image objects have to be pre-sized before importing into the Obj Editor.

2. When I added music to the menu and linked a menu button to an external PTE exe show, the music from the menu do not stop when the external PTE exe show starts so you hear both tracks at the same time. Is there a way to fade away the menu music? I start the v5 external PTE exe show by clicking on a menu button object created in v4.48.

Are you synchronizing any of the shows to the music? If not, then you can customize one of the black slides to "Play background music", but do not add any music to it. This will cut off any background music already playing.

If you are synching the shows, you probably aren't synching the intro show. In this case, arrange the intro slide to play music from the "Customize slide" menu instead of from "Proj. Ops". Then program the buttons to go to a black slide instead of to the next show, choose "Play background music" for this black slide in "Customize slide" (but do not select any music), and then program this slide start up the desired show (Customize slide / Main / Run external application). You will have to have a different black slide for each show you want to run from your menu show. You will also want to program one of the mouse buttons (preferably the right one as you will be using the left one to click on the buttons) to "go to the first slide" so you can get back to the menu after each show. You might have to experiment a bit with this until you find a combination that works for you in your particular setup.

3. The menu was created (in 4.48) to slowly fade in (3 seconds) and the music starts. When a menu button is clicked to start an external PTE exe show, the menu abruptly went black insead of slowly fading out the menu to the v5 PTE exe slideshow. Is there a way to fade out the image on the menu instead of an abrupt disappearance? The v5 PTE slideshow fades in perfectly though.

Use blackslides and the abrupt transition won't be noticed.

Hope this helps some! :)

Are you synchronizing any of the shows to the music? If not, then you can customize one of the black slides to "Play background music", but do not add any music to it. This will cut off any background music already playing.

Thank you. I experimented with the black slide and it seems to work fine. Here is my work flow.

v4.48 Menu

Slide 1 - Main menu with buttons to 9 other black slides

Slide 2 - Runs slideshow1.exe

Slide 3 - Runs slideshow2.exe

Slide 10 - Runs slideshow9.exe

Duration of all slides is 0 seconds (I assume it will never go to the next slide).

Each black slide has a button to return to the first slide in the Menu.

v5.0beta

slideshow1.exe - normal slideshow with music and pan/zoom transitions

The problem I'm seeing now is that at the end of each of the slideshow, I wanted to execute the next show unless the user press 'ESC', in that case, the current slideshow closes and the blackslide would show up from below. I could not get the next slideshow to execute.

Under slideshow1.exe under the main option, I had it set so that slideshow2.exe would get executed when the show is done. This didn't work. When slideshow1.exe finishes, it exit to the blackslide. I then remove the setting to have slideshow2.exe run after slideshow1.exe finishes under the main slideshow options, and instead have the last slide in slideshow1.exe to execute slideshow2.exe. That didn't work either. Are there other options that are incompatible with executing an external slideshow?

Now to the next problem... one which may not have a solution in the current PTE implementation. I got the transitions between the menu and slides to be smooth. The menu has its own music but when I linked it to a blackslide with no music, the music is cut abruptly instead of fading out. Are there work arounds for this too? Since I don't know how long the user will be staring at the menu, I can't fade it out on set durations.

Thanks for putting up with my clumsy learning skills! I'm getting there!

Warmest regards,

-Garic

The problem I'm seeing now is that at the end of each of the slideshow, I wanted to execute the next show unless the user press 'ESC', in that case, the current slideshow closes and the blackslide would show up from below. I could not get the next slideshow to execute.

It's because "run application after last slide" is not yet re-activated in v5.

Now to the next problem... one which may not have a solution in the current PTE implementation. I got the transitions between the menu and slides to be smooth. The menu has its own music but when I linked it to a blackslide with no music, the music is cut abruptly instead of fading out. Are there work arounds for this too? Since I don't know how long the user will be staring at the menu, I can't fade it out on set durations.

I'm afraid there is no solution. Even commerical DVDs work this way. <_<

Dom is right, this feature is not activated yet in v.5.

Another technique, in order to avoid having to press a button to return to the menu, would be to send the viewer to a unique copy of the menu slide instead of a black slide, for each of the external shows. Then the viewer would just press on the appropriate button, on return to that menu copy, to go to the next show, without having to be directed back to the front of the introduction show.