WnSoft Forums

Length measurement : distance between two points

hlion

How can I measure the length between two points on a picture ? Is there a software which van easily do that ? With Photoshop Eleemnts ?

Thanks

If you have photshop there is a measure tool included, it's under the eyedropper.

John

Thanks.

Can you be more specific please ? I am using the french version and do not see any tool which would help me to know the distance (in inches, cm or pixels) there is between two points.

I have the English version of Elements 4 and it's not there either!

But there is a ruler (called the measure Tool) under the eyedropper in the full version of Photoshop.

This is what works for me in Photoshop Elements 3:

1. In the Editor screen, left mouse click "Window" at the top of the screen and select "Info" from the drop down menu. This will display the Info palette.

2. Select the "Line" tool from the ToolBar (located on left side of screen in my default Elements setup).

3. Left mouse click on the first point on your picture and hold button down. Keep mouse button depressed and drag Line tool to the second point on your picture.

4. DO NOT release the mouse button. As you move the mouse from the first point to the second point watch the Info palette. This will display: the X and Y coordinates of the line; the angle of the line in degrees from the horizontal; the Delta X and Delta Y values; and the length of the line between the 2 points in your photo. Make a note of this information because, once you release the mouse button, the information is lost

Hope this helps:

Malcolm.

This is what works for me in Photoshop Elements 3:

1. In the Editor screen, left mouse click "Window" at the top of the screen and select "Info" from the drop down menu. This will display the Info palette.

2. Select the "Line" tool from the ToolBar (located on left side of screen in my default Elements setup).

3. Left mouse click on the first point on your picture and hold button down. Keep mouse button depressed and drag Line tool to the second point on your picture.

4. DO NOT release the mouse button. As you move the mouse from the first point to the second point watch the Info palette. This will display: the X and Y coordinates of the line; the angle of the line in degrees from the horizontal; the Delta X and Delta Y values; and the length of the line between the 2 points in your photo. Make a note of this information because, once you release the mouse button, the information is lost

Hope this helps:

Malcolm.

Many thanks Malcolm, this was very helpful ! I jus got PE5 today and found evrything you mentioned.

I want to compute the right amount of expansion I need between two captions of Google earth in order to do a Zoom : going from one image to the next with an almost perfect coincidence.

If someone has a tuto on this, it will be most welcome.

I know Jean-Pierre D has one but it is a little bit hard for me to understand and follow.