WnSoft Forums

Judging and movement.

PeterFrampton

I recently went to a national competition which had a good variety of shows and was well attended. At the end the judge made a statement which fascinated me, wish I had recorded it but it was along the lines of “We must be careful not to stray into the realms of video”.

There are two questions that spring to mind, who is “we”? and Why not?

I have a fair idea who “we” are but will leave that to your imagination, it seems to me that our judges are so out of step with the rest of the world it’s unbelievable. By video I think the judge must have meant “movement” as there was no evidence of any video content in any of the shows presented and I strongly suspect that several of the shows were marked down because they included movement. Let’s face it, America, China, Japan, Canada, France, Russia, Belgium and a lot of you good people on this web site have all embraced the wonderful opportunities that the current AV software has put at our disposal, this is simply just progress. Isn’t it time our judges dropped the shackles from the past and joined with “us” enjoying the liberation that is available? By “us” I mean the rest of the world!

And the winner is..you’ve guessed it..another dreary saga from World War 1. Stone the crows, when are we going to move on?

Peter Frampton

Nothing wrong with movement..........

After all we must all move on ........... :D

So long as it is appropriate there is no problem.

Most of the judges I know are very open minded about it.

It's the quality of the work which counts in the end and that's what should stand the test of time.

We're running the UK 321 again in February 2007 at Aldbourne.

The last winner had movement & was excellent !

See details at http://www.challengediaporama321.com/except they've got the UK date wrong - it should be Sunday February 18th :o

and they spelt my name wrong :(

Hope you'll come and see the judging ?

BW Maureen

Peter Frampton and I have had e-conversations about this before, usually on creatingslideshows.com site.

My own feelings about movement with what "we" do are that we should do anything which helps us communicate and we should avoid those things which hinder proper communication. Much of what I have seen since PTE made it possible to include zooms, rotations and pans has been work which has illustrated what the techniques could achieve but little else. I am not all that interested in just watching clever techniques; I am interested in what people want to "tell" me. If all they have to say is technique, I waste my time watching it - currently I still do watch, but I am getting a bit bored with it all.