WnSoft Forums

Security Notice No:2

Conflow

post-1416-1167931776_thumb.jpg

Notice Re:- Grisoft AVG (New Free Edition)

Jeff,

I must also direct the following remarks to other readers as well as yourself.

The New (V-7 Free) Edition of Grisoft AVG is 'Fully' operational for a Trial Period limited to 1 Month .

Thereafter many "vital features" of the Program are "switched-off" until you purchase the Registered Program.

This leaves you LESS THAN FULLY PROTECTED ~ you have been advised ~ see Attachment.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1167931776_thumb.jpg

Notice Re:- Grisoft AVG (New Free Edition)

Jeff,

I must also direct the following remarks to other readers as well as yourself.

The New (V-7 Free) Edition of Grisoft AVG is 'Fully' operational for a Trial Period limited to 1 Month .

Thereafter many "vital features" of the Program are "switched-off" until you purchase the Registered Program.

This leaves you LESS THAN FULLY PROTECTED ~ you have been advised ~ see Attachment.

Brian.Conflow.

The trial period refers to Grisoft's Anti Spyware not Anti Virus 7.5. With the Free Anti Virus 7.5 download there is no trial period, albeit it has it's limitations compared to the Pro version. Free AVG 7.5 is available to home users only for personal use, business users will have to purchase the full version.

As far as the Grisoft Anti Spyware program is concerned there are a number of free to use versions such as AdAware/ Spybot Search and Destroy/A2 Squared or Windows Defender from Microsoft. Personally I use those mentioned other than Defender, they have served me well without seeking Grisoft's revamp of Ewido Anti Spyware after they bought it out.

The trial period refers to Grisoft's Anti Spyware not Anti Virus 7.5. With the Free Anti Virus 7.5 download there is no trial period, albeit it has it's limitations compared to the Pro version. Free AVG 7.5 is available to home users only for personal use, business users will have to purchase the full version.

As far as the Grisoft Anti Spyware program is concerned there are a number of free to use versions such as AdAware/ Spybot Search and Destroy/A2 Squared or Windows Defender from Microsoft. Personally I use those mentioned other than Defender, they have served me well without seeking Grisoft's revamp of Ewido Anti Spyware after they bought it out.

Nathan,

We have been in this Business for some 18 years ~ ever since Win 3.1 hit the Streets and we have lost many PC's due to our lack of vigilance over the years. That has since changed as Spyware & Hijacking and 'Coolweb Intelligent Trojans' are a far greater menace than any Virus one will ever encounter.

Recently we lost 2 PC (Win 2000.Pro) due to 'updating failures' in Grisoft AVG ~ their fault not ours. This was reported here on the Forum and to be very blunt we recently found out that the latest version of (Free) Grisoft AVG seems to be a 'cut-down version' of the origional excellent Program.

I bring your attention to the above highlighted quote from your Post ~ I assume you mean that there are OTHER PROGRAMS available apart from Grisoft A/S ~ not versions of it as you seem to suggest above !

Yes, we are very familiar we those you listed including Ewido, but in the past year we found the "Freebies" to be seriously lacking in adequate protection against Hijacking & Multi-Drop Trojans and regrettably these things are now finding their way around Firewalls including the Vista-64 Firewall....se la vie, because these activities are becoming big-business.

We now use 'Norton Executive' and 'XoftSpy-Active' with back-up from 'Spybot Immunisation' and a 3-Comm Hardware Firewall on our Server. We also use a utility that detects any 'script-changes' in the Internet-Explorer 6 Program. The nature of our work demands this costly protection, even then we know the cold wind of intrusion is never far away.

We at Conflow Services realise that the days of "Free Anti-Virus Software" is nearly a thing of the past because it too has become big-business, and if you want REAL PROTECTION one needs to budget for it !

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

It was not my intention to infer the alternative anti spyware programs mentioned are products of Grisoft. If this has caused misunderstanding among other members then I apologise.

What I was trying to point out is, your initial post referred to the trial period for Grisoft's Anti Spyware 7.5 not the Anti Virus 7.5 which is an entirely different program.

There seems to be enough confusion over Grisoft's intentions with the Anti Virus 7.5 version. When Grisoft announced the launch of 7.5 followed by, version 7.0 would cease to be supported from Jan 15th 2007, many users took this to mean 7.5 would have to be paid for. Why people believed this I don't know.

I've used AVG Free for 6 years now, the only hiccup in it's performance has been the two occasions when PtoE shows, mistakenly, were said to be carrying a Trojan Horse.

I don't disagree with your opinion on free security becoming a thing of the past, may be it will come to be so. Until then I am quite happy to continue using free AV and those AS programs which do a very good job for me and many other users.

The current issue of Maximum PC mag (Feb, 07, pg 20) discusses the misunderstood discontinuance of "free" AVG.

Maximum PC concludes: "The truth is, AVG Anti-Virus Free continues to be offered for, well, free. A spokesman for Grisoft confirmed that there is, indeed, a free 7.5 version that is Vista ready.......

Grisoft, of course, won't guarnatee that AVG will always be free, but how can you complain about it now, when it is."

No mention in the article about "crippled" 30-day version.

Cheers,

Jim

FYI, I don't use AVG.