WnSoft Forums

Results of Adelaide AV Festival 2007

Ian

For those not already aware, Maureen Albright is currently in Australia, and last weekend was part of the Adelaide AV Festival Jury, along with her husband Robert and Richard Brown.

Barbara Mullins of the festival committee has just emailed me the results, which are now posted on the AV Group section of Wantage Camera Club website

Alternatively here is a direct link to the Result Sheet

Congratulations to Johan Werbrouck, the overall winner with Sirja Lamia, The Night Born Vampire

Ian

Congratulations to Johan Werbrouck, the overall winner with Sirja Lamia, The Night Born Vampire

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for posting. This is great news - congratulations to Johan. This was my favourite AV production of the RPS competition in Cirencester in September, so I happy to hear he has won with it. :)

Hi Al,

I agree with you and I think this was a favourite amongst most, if not all, of the audience at Cirencester - it certainly had the biggest Wow factor - maybe back then it was just a bit ahead of its time?

A deserving winner.

As far as I know its not on-line anywhere. Johan is a member of Kordial Multimedia but their site doesn't appear to have any downloads. Its a Flemish language site though (I think!) so I might have missed something.

From memory, the Sirja Lamia sequence is either a Wings Platinum or mObjects production, both of which tend to generate massive executable files. I think the Sirja Lamia sequence was about 700Mb or more.

The version that has been seen in festivals is actually an extract from a larger piece that Johan made about the subject. The original was shown at an arts festival in Belgium. For those who haven't seen it, the sequence is about the life of a 'goth' girl who belives she is a vampire. Fantastic photography and very innovative use of motion effects to add drama to the story.

Its next showing in the UK will be at the Geoffrey Round Competition in Capel Curig, North Wales. on 24th and 25th March 2007. Johan's summary for the entry reads:

"A Newspaper article about “gothic” lifestyle of 17-year old Inez caught my attention. Our first personal contact, a few months later was the start of a year of intense collaboration. A year I submerged myself in a year of the gothic subculture, previously unknown to me, but gripping. I had many profound discussions with Inez leading to the scenario and the text. I try to show not only her special lifestyle, but also her ideas and passions. In her poems I found the inspiration to represent her dark dream-world audio visually, and thus weave into a story both fiction and reality."

Ian

Thank you for the information Ian.

I must say I envy you UK residents, and others, where there is so much going on in the AV area.

I have never heard of anything like an AV event in Sweden ...

Do you know any good source of information if I want to keep track of what is happening in Europe ?

Who knows, perhaps it could be part of some future vacation trip.

Ragnar

Maureen keeps track of most events on her digital-av website - see http://www.digital-av.co.uk/intnat-events.htm

The old AV World website used to be a good resource, and there are plans afoot to resurrect it. Meanwhile, Peter Coles has a new site at http://www.avpeter.com/ that covers international events.

I don't know of one in Sweden though!

Ian

Maureen keeps track of most events on her digital-av website - see http://www.digital-av.co.uk/intnat-events.htm

The old AV World website used to be a good resource, and there are plans afoot to resurrect it. Meanwhile, Peter Coles has a new site at http://www.avpeter.com/ that covers international events.

I don't know of one in Sweden though!

Ian

I am just coming to terms with my new site!

So, do please be patient with me while I get to know how to add and subtract things!!!

I usually make Sequences rather than talk about them!

Do come along to Capel Curig - all who can - To book contact Marion Waine on mewaine@chasingthelight.co.uk

66 Sequences will be shown during the two days and later 9 of them will grace the IAC Film Festival at The New Wellington Hotel in Tunbridge Wells, Kent on Friday 20th and Saturday 21st April 2007.

To whet your appetite, "A Little Place in the Country" by Keith Scott did exceptionally well in Romania and he has what I regard as an even better Sequence which achieves its world premier; "The Expert" by Erhard Hobrecker won a Humour award in Australia and I expect "Dear Boss" by Maurice Guidicelli to give it a run for its money in Capel Curig ans my own "Striped Pyjamas" made recently with Ron Davies has just won the Grand Rrix in Trélazé. Ian Bateman has a couple of excellent entries. many of the works shown in Adelaide will be on show in Capel Curig. Overall we have contributions from 10 countries.

Two other ways to keep in touch with AV Events in the UK and beyond - the IAC Film and Video Maker Magazine lists most of what is going on and RPS AV News, which is now available to all - and incidentally this is the sole reason why AV WORLD is now no longer in production - ie that the RPS have, after ten years rescinded their decision to restrict sales of AV News to RPS members. For information about AV News contact joanhorne@blueyonder.co.uk

RPS AV News, which is now available to all

To order this excellent AV magazine you need only visit the web site ( www.avg.rps.org)

of the RPS AV Group here.

My web site www.digital-av.co.uk will be fullly updated with all events, results and other notes, etc when I return :D

Promised all our Australian Av friends to put my Photoshop notes up there soon too. :D

Meanwhile busy enjoying all the sunshine and delicious "bushtucker" Down Under !

Many Thanks to Ian and Gerard for putting the Adelaide results up on line while I am away. :D

Love Maureen

Peter and Maureen,

Thank you for your most useful advice. The links you provided lead me to pages with very interesting shows/competitions. I had no idea that the AV world was such a big thing.

And I found a good source of free music : http://www.incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html

Also, Maureen, I enjoyed your sequences.

And Peter, your "Fragile Earth" is one of my favourites.

Ragnar