WnSoft Forums

A "Convenience PTE Menu"

Lin Evans

Some old timer's here may remember the old days of DOS when we had to type in the name of the file we wanted to run to get the executable going. You remember, for things like Wordstar, dBase II, Visicalc, etc.

Several companies produced menu programs which made it very easy to simply choose the programs you wanted to use from a simple menu. It involved each user setting the path to the files to run the executable, then the program popped up a nice little menu run from an autoexec.bat file so when we turned on our computers we had an instant menu of the programs we used most commonly.

Today, Windows creates shortcut icons and soon our screens become a jumbled mess. We often move some of the least used icons off to other folders then we can go into these folders when we need the programs and have only a few on our desktop. The problem is we have to remember what we called the folders and sometimes, when you get old like me - LOL, or distracted, you forget and have to search about for the folder (I have many thousand folders on over a terrabyte of storage) for the proper one. And so I tend to clutter my desktop and keep probably too many icons which also takes me a good deal of time to sort through and find the one I am looking for to open the progam I want.

The thought occurred to me that we now have a great program which lets us build our own menus just like the old "EZ Munu" of DOS days.

So why not just use PTE to build yourself a simple menu which uses the most commonly called programs with which you work everyday? It's easier than sorting through hundreds of icons and works great!

Here's a jpg image of what I am developing. It only has a few programs now, but gives an idea of a new way perhaps to use PTE's amazing features.

Lin

menusample.jpg

Lin

I use shortcut icons on my desktop :rolleyes: I couldn't find a smiley for "tongue in cheek"

Ron [uK]

One of the oldest of timers