WnSoft Forums

queries with regards to AV Competions

t.millar

<_< I was wondering if you could advise me on the defination regarding enteries for any av beginners compitions?

Firstly I don't have PTE as I dont have access to the internet, I have a copy starter which came with a magazine but I am fumbling around with it at present. I have an idea for a competition but not sure how it would be accepted?

Firstly I am lead to believe that all photographs must be taken by the person submitting. I was going to try when I find my copy of Nero as I moved house and can't find a lot off my disc's, to put some photographs on a disc and to see a friend who has the program and slowly develop it from there. However what I wish to do I would have to use photographs taken by someone else. My example would be if I had access would be to show original photographs of say the TITANIC and if able to show the relative areas where she now lies at the bottom of the Atlantic. It could also be the relevant areas of a city which have been completely modernised and bear no resemblence to what they once looked like. Can anyone advise what the views would be from people who are running or judging the competitions?

Hello Stonewall

As a general rule, images used in sequences entered into competitions should be the original work of the entrant. However, it is also generally accepted that for some 'documentary' style sequences, some "borrowed" images are permissable where they are essential to the story. For example, there have been various sequences made about painters such as Lowry and Monet, and hence images of some of their paintings have been used to illustrate parts of the story.

The essential thing to remember is that these "borrowed" images should be relevent to the plot, and there should be no copyright issues with using them. In your example, I see no objection to using a few copyright-free images of the Titanic as part of a sequence so long as they just form a small part of the overall sequence. Similarly, some historical views of a city to contrast with your own current shots would be an acceptable use.

Ian

Hi Stonewall

It is recomended that most competition AV's should be no longer than 5 minutes, and that all the photographic content should be the copyright of the author. This excludes the use of items such as clip art. Although what Ian says is correct, my experiance has been that most judges would not view favourably the inclusion of images taken from books, old newspapers or the internet. The above applies only to competition AV's, if you are making AV's to use to entertain or inform others, then you have complete freedom of choice. However in my opinion there is greater satisfaction in putting together sequences which only contain your own work, rather than including the copyright free work of others.

regards

Geoff

Hi

Having my computers upgraded so little access to the Internet so not able to visit here often at present.

Competition entries should be less than 12 minutes maximum.

Often audiences and judges concentrate much better on shorter sequences. ;)

But it all depends on the quality of the work :rolleyes:

- 12 minutes can seem like two if you are totally absorbed in the subject and two minutes can seem like two hours if the content is very boring.

Regarding the images.

Some top prize winners (well deserved too) were created with graphic art, old photographs and images taken from the Internet. The application forms have a section where you are asked to state if you have used any images not your own. But you should certainly have obtained permission from the author where necessary.

Judges (and audience) opinions will vary. A sequence shown at one venue successfully will sometimes not come across as well in another hall. Ambiance, acoustics, equipment, your own mood as a viewer ........... variety of reasons

Never try to create anything creative to please others (unless they are paying you to reproduce their requests). Always produce something you are happy with as your own interpretation and work. Winning sequences in competitions usually show something of the author' s heart, soul and creativity.

There are a very tiny minority of judges ( a dying breed I hope) who try to mark by points for images, points for sound, points for dissolves, points for story, points for original script, points for voice, points for neat handwriting........... I find all this method totally pointless and unrelated to life! :(

We live by learning from our experiences seeing success and failure and being able to judge what is good and bad. Good judges will have lots of experience of seeing a wide range of work and can judge from their own experience. They will be open enough to see a top quality piece of work without resorting to a points chart and will accept there is no way you can travel back in time to take your own photographs of Titanic as she was or images from history.

I would advise everyone to visit, if they can any AV Festivals, competitions or workshops. You'll not only learn new things, you'll find out what a helpful friendly bunch AV photographers are. Lots of AVs shown at these Festivals are not available to download on the Internet.

However in my opinion there is greater satisfaction in putting together sequences which only contains your own work, rather than including the copyright free work of others.

.... totally agree with what Ian and Geoff said.

The audience will become more absorbed and interested if they have to work hard and use their imagination to follow and enjoy the sequence. eg using modern photos turned sepia in Photoshop to give an impression of turning back the clock.

Hope this helps.

Just keep creating good AVs and enjoy the experience ....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Next RPS AV workshop in South Wales - May 20th

Photoshop, Sound and PTE demos plus watching work from attendees.

But lots more around the country and abroad too. :rolleyes:

BW

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

I have opened this thread up, not as a can of worms, but to be current with Andrew's "Slide shows created in PicturesToExe> Pinned: Grading Shows...." On the very few occasions, when I have been asked to judge an AV competition, I have resorted to a method similar to Andrew's, making notes of particular points.

Ron [uK]