WnSoft Forums

distorted pictures

Hemjr

I am attending a week long recreation workshop and am responsible for photography and a slide show at the end of the week. I am using a Sony Vaio laptop with a westinghouse 20.1 " monitor. I am noticing a distortion of the pictures when I rotate from horizontal to vertical. I thought this was a function of PTE, however it also appears when I work in photoshop. This problem continues when I return to using the laptop montor.

I apologize for asking this question on the forum, but need an help quickly, and knew I could get help here. Thanks.

Howard

Howard,

The problem could be that your monitor resolution settings do not match the monitor's actual dimensions. For example, if I set the resolution of my wide-screen monitor (1280x768) to 1280x960, the images will be distorted. Also if I rotate an image, it will look distorted in a different direction (width vs height).

Al, one of the moniters is a 20" wide screen moniter, and the laptop is a 17" moniter. how do i determine the correct settings? Thanks.

Howard

Howard,

The specifications that came with your monitor should indicate the options you have for various "resolutions". Failing that, you could look up the specs on the Internet.

Make sure the setting matches the aspect ratio of your monitor. Older monitors are usually 4:3, so resolutions of 800x600, 1024x768, etc., will look "normal". My wide-screen monitor is 15:9 (e.g. 1280x768 pixels).

One way to test for the optimum setting is to draw a perfect circle on an image of a certain size, (or photograph a circular plate or the full moon), and change the monitor resolutions to see which ones best retain the circle. Try inverting it to check that it is circular in both vertical and horizontal positions.