WnSoft Forums

Bodily movement of images when zooming

cjdnzl

Hello all,

I am still quite new and on a steep learning curve with PTE, having migrated from ProShow.

I am finding, with both beta 11 and 12, that zooming under linear conditions works well and is very smooth apart from the abrupt start and stop, but when I invoke smooth zooming, the image appears to move bodily up and right, leaving black lines at bottom and left of screen. The zoom function rapidly fills these areas, but when the image reaches the zoom limit, the picture again moves bodily to the right, like a short pan.

The smoothing parameters are unchanged from the defaults, i.e. 0-20 and 80-100.

My computer is an Asus P4C800-E deluxe m/b, 3.00 GHz P4 processor, 1 GB of ram, and a GeForce 6600GT graphics card, running at 1024 by 768 and 85Hz refresh. I just today replaced my older ATI A9250 graphics card with the 6600GT, with much smoother presentation than before; but this problem was apparent on the ATI card as well.

Has anyone seen this movement on their computer, or am I unique?

Colin.

Hi Colin,

The reason is that keypoints must be separated in "pairs" to use non-linear zoom, pan, or rotate. I made a little tutorial about how to first do your animation with linear then easily change it to smooth, or one of the other non-linear functions.

The best way to quickly see how non-linear works is to use only the initial keypoint then add only one keypoint and set "all three" (pan, zoom, rotate) to one of the non-linear motion effects such as smooth.

With only two keypoints, you don't have a need to "separate" keypoints. The reason for my suggestion to change pan, zoom and rotate is that when using a bounded rectangle to effect the change in zoom, for example, it's very common to also move the pan numbers a bit and sometimes if one isn't careful, they also move rotate a bit. So since there is no "penalty" for having all three set to a non-linear motion, my suggestion is first to set all three. If you ask for a non-linear zoom and the pan has been slightly changed from the start keypoint values, then unexpected consequences happen including precisely the one you just described.

Download the AVI from this link and maybe it will make it more clear and show you how to quickly set the proper attributes by separating the keypoints in the setup menu found at the top of each pan, zoom, rotate block.

http://www.lin-evans.net/tutorial/nonlinearavi.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hello all,

I am still quite new and on a steep learning curve with PTE, having migrated from ProShow.

I am finding, with both beta 11 and 12, that zooming under linear conditions works well and is very smooth apart from the abrupt start and stop, but when I invoke smooth zooming, the image appears to move bodily up and right, leaving black lines at bottom and left of screen. The zoom function rapidly fills these areas, but when the image reaches the zoom limit, the picture again moves bodily to the right, like a short pan.

The smoothing parameters are unchanged from the defaults, i.e. 0-20 and 80-100.

My computer is an Asus P4C800-E deluxe m/b, 3.00 GHz P4 processor, 1 GB of ram, and a GeForce 6600GT graphics card, running at 1024 by 768 and 85Hz refresh. I just today replaced my older ATI A9250 graphics card with the 6600GT, with much smoother presentation than before; but this problem was apparent on the ATI card as well.

Has anyone seen this movement on their computer, or am I unique?

Colin.

Hello Lin,

Thanks for the fast reply, and you were right on with your diagnosis. There was some inadvertent panning during the zoom, now fixed. I feel a bit silly, not recognizing the problem, I guess it's all part of the learning curve!

Cheers,

Colin