WnSoft Forums

Making Icons

Peter S

Some rather long time ago I downloaded a free plugin that gave me the facility to save files as *.ico. I could then use these as icons anywhere I chose. I have been unable to get this to work in CS2. I may well have forgotten some aspect of the process but I cannot find anything to help me via my web searches.

Does anyone know if this is possible in CS2 and if there is a plug in that will do the trick? It always looks good to use your own icon.

Peter

Try this

1. Set up a new folder to contain your Icons

2. In Photoshop open an image from which you are going to crop a square for the icon.

3. Crop the image 1:1

4. Insert any lettering – max 3 and highest font size possible to fit

5. Now go to Image> Mode and select 8 bits per channel. Same again and select “Indexed colour”. A box will appear which in my case shows Palette: Uniform, Colours: 256 and Transparency: Un-checked. Click OK You are asked to flatten the image so click OK

6. Now change the image size. Image>Image size – change to 32pixels by 32 pixels using Constrained Proportions.

7. Finally File>Save as>ICO(Windows Icon) (*.ico) format in your Icon folder.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron,

Thanks very much indeed. I tried your method and it worked a treat. I could not find anywhere in Photoshop help files how to get to the 256 colours demanded by PTE. I never even looked at Mode!

Gareth,

I had an old telegraphics file version 1.6f2 and that would not work I updated to 1.6f9 and that was fine.

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Peter