WnSoft Forums

Aspect Ratio and Version 5

The topic of aspect ratios has been discussed many times before but, with Version 5, I think there might be a slightly different twist. The issue arises from the different aspect ratios of monitors (e.g. my 19 inch monitor has a resolution of 1280 x 1024, 5:4) and cameras (e.g. my Nikon D80 has a resolution of 3872 x 1024, 6:4) and the standards for AV projection which are 1024 x 768, 4:3).

The default setting in "Common" tab of the O&A window of Version 5 is "fit to slide". This works to constrain the width of an image to the screen width as set on "Project Options - Screen" tab. There is no way to change this default setting except on a slide by slide basis.

Thus with Nikon D80 images, the choices are :

1. Keep the original aspect ratio, thus seeing the whole image, but resulting in a black border at the top and bottom of the monitor.
  2. Manually crop each image to an aspect ratio of 5:4 and accept the loss of part of the image.
  3. Resize to, say, 1536 x 1024 and set to "Original" or "Cover slide" in the "Common tab.

In Option 2 and 3, you lose some of the image but the remaining image fills the screen. Individually cropping each image is far too time consuming, thus Option 3 is my preferred choice unless I must see the whole image in which case it is Option 1.

However to use Option 3, I have to set each slide individually to "Original" or "Cover Slide". Could this setting adjustment not be added into the "Screen" tab of "Project Options" as a setting which can be applied globally to all slides?

Regards

Jeff