WnSoft Forums

Music Synchronization

ddiercks

I've used PXE for a long time, but I got away from it for a year or so when I bought another program that made converting shows to DVDs to show on TV easier. Well, I downloaded the new beta version, and I'm doing a test show, but I can't for the life of me get the program to space the images out to fit the total time of the two songs I've added to it. I don't recall ever having that problem in past versions. I'd just put in the slides, add the songs I'd want to use, click on the button to synchronize the total music with the total images and PXE would determine how long each slide had to stay on. Then when the last image was up, the music would end. Can someone give me a hint about what I'm doing wrong? In the previews, the music plays fine, so it isn't an audio file problem. I'm not doing something that will cause PXE to determine the time each image shows to make music and pictures come out the same.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

First, I think it is best if you combine multiple sound files into one track. It just seems to simplify the whole synchro process. Google "Audacity" for a really capable and FREE sound editor if you need one. Add the sound track(s), click on "timeline", then click on the button "timed points" (version 5), then select "add timed points". Your slides will be spaced evenly across the duration of the soundtrack. I've never tried to do it with multiple sound tracks but I'm sure others will add their solutions. Good luck.

... I can't for the life of me get the program to space the images out to fit the total time of the two songs I've added to it.

If you are using version 5, open the timeline and select "Timed Points / Arrange all points". You can also check "Auto spread slides along music" if you want all the transitions to be spaced evenly over the timeline, to the end of the music.

Well I may be sticking my neck out, but here goes -

Here we have another example of someone wanting to return to PTE but sees that things have changed.

With version 5 comes a whole new way of using the application.

I've been following the developments closely, but not adding much to the discussion I'm afraid, and feel myself just a little unsure of the new/altered commands we now have at our disposal.

Despite the insistance expressed in this forum by those thoroughly 'up to speed' with the application that the forum is the best source of knowledge and advice, it's my experience that ordinary folk who come to PTE are put off by its apparent complexity and lack of any real help files, and are not in the habit of logging on to a forum to ask what may be very simple and basic questions.

I'm sure that it'll be the case that someone will, or collectively we can provide a definitive guide to PTE somehow.

There have been several attempts at providing such a comprehensive guide over the development of v.5 which have been very well received, but maybe it's now the time to really get to grips with it.

I hope I haven't re-opened a can of worms on this topic but I feel it has to be said.

DEN (NE UK)

First, I think that the answers I and others gave to the question about how to synchronize music and slideshow duration apply to version 4.48 as well as version 5. I think that HOW a function is referred to (eg, "auto spread slides along music") has changed but the basic functionality has NOT changed.

I'd have to agree that a manual would be advantageous once version 5 hits a stable point in production. The "moving target" problem is real. A manual can't be developed before v5 is stable.

The need to have a manual in multiple languages is a real problem as well. Major corporations such as Adobe or Microsoft can afford to work in multiple languages but that is clearly not the case for Igor and WnSoft. Communication in this forum is remarkably well done given the multiple languages that participants use. My hat is off to those for whom English is not their first/dominant language and who make an effort to phrase their questions in English. I can't imagine myself trying to ask Igor a question in Russian or make a comment in French.

So, who prepares the manual, how it is distributed (pdf, hard copy, web-based, etc.) and how to deal with multiple language needs may be too much hurdle to jump. I think a series of PDF articles dealing with parts of PTE and that have been subjected to testing or validation by people who frequent this forum may be all that we can really hope for. It would help a lot if they were organized and stored in a way that follows the structure of PTE and are easily found without having to perform and dig through search results.

I'll admit, too, that I read and absorb answers or threads that use complete sentences rather than those that just use phrases or fragments or an independent link to some other thread in the archives. I say this to support your point that this forum is not the "end all" for answers or the natural way for everyone to get information. The forum IS a rich resource that involves many generous and creative people who help others with answers or creative examples/templates. Forum participants who take the time to fully develop an answer and express it clearly and completely seem to have a great deal of credibility as forum leaders. Comments like "do a search and you'll find a lot of answers" are, I believe, not overly helpful.

Bruce,

I find myself agreeing almost entirely with your comments. Thank you for being so forthright. However, as one who tries to assist members with my pdf tutorials, I must point out that it does take an awful lot of time to create them. Writing a full blown 'Manual' would be a major, major task and would need a whole host of knowledgable people to achieve the ultimate goal. There are many on this forum who have the ability and I am quite sure you are aware of who they are but, they would need an great deal of encouragement in order to convince them to invest the time.

Ron West

I fully appreciate how much work it takes to write a tutorial and then to ask for review and make any changes that may be needed. Your work is clearly appreciated by many. Thanks Ronnie.

I have previously written two pdf guides for previous versions of PTE and these are available on The Dom's excellent web site. Of course these have been overtaken by events, but I am prepared to have a go at updating them once I am sure that we have reached a stable version of PTE. Many forum members have produced useful tutorials covering various functions (e.g. Lin Evans and Ronnie), but what I have in mind is more a reference guide. When I am using some new software, I personally find it very useful to have some documentation available where I can look up the purpose of a particular function. This is what I would propose to do. For example, take the O&A window and describe the function of each of the controls.

This will be quite a long project but i would be interested to hear any views on the usefulness or otherwise of this approach. I do not want to spend a lot of time for no useful purpose.

Jeff

DEN (NE UK)

"Well I may be sticking my neck out, but here goes" -

This portion down should be in the tutorial section

ken

Yes Ken you are right. But often a topic starts and then wanders off into a related subject. I could not post a reply into the tutorial section when replying to a previous post here - unless you can show me how to do it??

Jeff

Apologies if I seem to have sabotaged the original poster's query,and sorry if this topic should appear elsewhere but I just wanted to highlight once again the apparent need for a definitive help guide to PTE for those not so 'savvy' or forum literate.

Jeff - what you suggest is, I think, just what's needed when v5 is released. Nothing in great depth but broad in its coverage of the many menu and other functions we now find before us. There are many great tutorials existing which cover specifics of interest and yes it is a seriously time consuming activity but one which would be appreciated by many beyond this forum.

I do hope the challenge is taken up.

DEN (NE UK)

First, I think it is best if you combine multiple sound files into one track. It just seems to simplify the whole synchro process. Google "Audacity" for a really capable and FREE sound editor if you need one. Add the sound track(s), click on "timeline", then click on the button "timed points" (version 5), then select "add timed points". Your slides will be spaced evenly across the duration of the soundtrack. I've never tried to do it with multiple sound tracks but I'm sure others will add their solutions. Good luck.

After posting my first comment, I remembered that PXE didn't like separate audio files, and I went into Audacity and combined the two songs into one MP3 file. I did what you said with the timeline settings, but it still won't spread out the slides to cover the entire 7 min. 48 seconds of time the songs take. I think I have about 80 slides. Maybe there is a limit to how long PXE will let each slide show and I need to add more images to get it to that point.

Thanks for your help. As much as I like the program, I think I might punt on ver. 5.0 and go back to using my other slide producing program, DVD Photo Slideshow Professional. It makes DVD shows very easily, something I'm still not able to get PXE to do easily.

G'day ddiercks,

After posting my first comment, I remembered that PXE didn't like separate audio files, and I went into Audacity and combined the two songs into one

We hope to see some basic form of sound editing in PTE in the not to distant future which will make what you are trying to do much easier, this is being discussed at the moment. See:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6657

As much as I like the program, I think I might punt on ver. 5.0 and go back to using my other slide producing program, DVD Photo Slideshow Professional. It makes DVD shows very easily, something I'm still not able to get PXE to do easily.

PTE V5 is still in beta testing but will be in full release in only a matter of weeks according to Igor, and I suggest you give it another try then.

I have used "DVD Photo Slideshow" and although it is very easy to use it can't give the same high quality final result that PTE does. To me this is the most important parameter for judging the two.

Also the flexibility PTE provides in all areas is well ahead of "DVD Photo Slideshow" which gives the author much greater creativity in their production. PTE rewards a little investment of time many times over. :)

I have used "DVD Photo Slideshow" and although it is very easy to use it can't give the same high quality final result that PTE does. To me this is the most important parameter for judging the two.

Also the flexibility PTE provides in all areas is well ahead of "DVD Photo Slideshow" which gives the author much greater creativity in their production. PTE rewards a little investment of time many times over. :)

Many times I have seen comparisons between other software and PTE, but I have never found one that can beat the quality that Pictures to Exe brings to slide shows. I agree with the above members conclusion that investment of time is essential.

Ronnie West

After posting my first comment, I remembered that PXE didn't like separate audio files, and I went into Audacity and combined the two songs into one MP3 file. I did what you said with the timeline settings, but it still won't spread out the slides to cover the entire 7 min. 48 seconds of time the songs take. I think I have about 80 slides. Maybe there is a limit to how long PXE will let each slide show and I need to add more images to get it to that point.

Thanks for your help. As much as I like the program, I think I might punt on ver. 5.0 and go back to using my other slide producing program, DVD Photo Slideshow Professional. It makes DVD shows very easily, something I'm still not able to get PXE to do easily.

Regarding the music synchronization, I created a test show with 15 slides and three separate pieces of .mp3 music. I went into the Timeline and clicked on Timed Points\Arrange All Points and P2E perfectly spaced out the slides and ended the show when the music stopped. I tried this with several different pieces of music and it always seems to work.

I did not bother to burn this one to DVD, but I can tell you that the other day I created a show with about 400 slides and 8 pieces of music. It had a number of different animations (including one of Dom's very useful templates -- Photopiles) as well as pans and zooms and scrolling titles. With one click of a button I burned it to DVD (and created an ISO file to use for creating 16 additional copies of the DVD). All went without a hitch and I think this was using either B12 or B13.

This new version of the program has certainly made my job easier (and more fun) in creating DVD slideshows for my customers. I do hope users will take the time to learn version 5 (just an hour or so of playing is all that's required to put together some amazing stuff). My thanks again to Igor and the team for a fantastic product.

I'm glad other people feel this way too . I know that places like Windows don't make books but I can walk to a wallmart and buy more books than I could read in a lifetime. I really appreciate this forum and I'm trying my best to learn the program with what I have. But a book sure would be nice. I know writing is hard work but I would be thankful for one.

Cheers ,Sammy

Well I may be sticking my neck out, but here goes -

Here we have another example of someone wanting to return to PTE but sees that things have changed.

With version 5 comes a whole new way of using the application.

I've been following the developments closely, but not adding much to the discussion I'm afraid, and feel myself just a little unsure of the new/altered commands we now have at our disposal.

Despite the insistance expressed in this forum by those thoroughly 'up to speed' with the application that the forum is the best source of knowledge and advice, it's my experience that ordinary folk who come to PTE are put off by its apparent complexity and lack of any real help files, and are not in the habit of logging on to a forum to ask what may be very simple and basic questions.

I'm sure that it'll be the case that someone will, or collectively we can provide a definitive guide to PTE somehow.

There have been several attempts at providing such a comprehensive guide over the development of v.5 which have been very well received, but maybe it's now the time to really get to grips with it.

I hope I haven't re-opened a can of worms on this topic but I feel it has to be said.

DEN (NE UK)