WnSoft Forums

Scanning resolution question

Dean

I am about to scan about 200 4x6 photographs and don't want to scan them at too high a resolution. (To keep file size and scan time to a minimum) I am creating a slide show with music to be shown on a portable LCD projector for a grade school. (Volunteer work of course) I began scanning last night at 300 dpi but have a feeling that is overkill. What is the optimal scanning resolution?

TIA!

Dean

If you are scanning prints (I assume that's the case), there is no reason to shoot for any higher resolution than will give you an image size suitable for your slideshow. For 4x6 that would be no more than 300 dpi which will give you an 1800x1200 pixel image.

Prints can differ tremendously in quality and you will very likely need to sharpen the images after the scan.

Best regards,

Lin

I am about to scan about 200 4x6 photographs and don't want to scan them at too high a resolution. (To keep file size and scan time to a minimum) I am creating a slide show with music to be shown on a portable LCD projector for a grade school. (Volunteer work of course) I began scanning last night at 300 dpi but have a feeling that is overkill. What is the optimal scanning resolution?

TIA!

Dean

What resolution will you be projecting at?

If it's 1024 x 768, you'll need your 6" photo to be 1024 pixels wide. 1024/6 = just over 170 pixels per inch.

Well...that makes sense. Thanks! Is there a "standard" resolution that I could guess they will be projecting at? Is that a windows setting, a projector setting or both?

i scan 4x6's at 300 dpi tiffs,-- they can be quite large files -- 8x10 would be +- 25 mb ea tiff

then save the masters and resize to 1280/960 at 80% quality jpegs

-you can always go smaller but you are going to lose quality if you try to make the jpgs larger later

- i use irfanview or ezthumbs with the resize algorithim set at lanczos3 -- this the slowest,as per Igor many moons ago:)

keep your masters on cd or dvd in case something goes wrong

also see

http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

ken