WnSoft Forums

pte files

Joy

I have pte files of shows that I made on a different computer. The photos were stored in My Documents, My Pictures. I transferred the pte files to my new XP machine. Now when I open the pte files the pictures are not found because the path is different. XP doesn't use the same path to My Documents. C:/MyDocuments. It is now C:/DocumentsandSettings....etc. Is there any way to open the pte files for editing? I messed up on the old computer too. I still have the pte files on the old computer, but have renamed some of them. So of course, I get the file not found error when I open the pte files. Any suggestions or am I out of luck for editing? Thanks.

Hello,

If you move the .pte file that has all the information into the Dir

were all of your picures are at it assuming they are all in the same dir

when you open the pte file it will look first in the dir where it is located.

And it should find them.

The only problem I have had with this is the newest version 4.01

does not find the objects that are added to slides.

But the earlier versions this works well with.

A different way would be open up your .pte file in a text editor and change

the path where the files are located. That take a little longer.

If I did not answer your question well

please post again

hope this helps you

cc

Joy,

Boxig's suggestion is a good one, provided you are not moving the files, as I have tried to do, from my desktop to my laptop, where the files on my desktop pc are on drive "F", and I only have a drive "C" on my laptop.

If you are familiar with spreadsheets, you can use my Adjustor model to see all of the image filenames at a glance, and do a "replace" to convert the pathnames to what you want it to be on the new pc.

One of these days I'll add an option to Adjustor which will automatically re-name everything, including objects, to whatever you want them to be, without having to resort to "find and replace" or a manual operation.

Thanks everyone for your help! I opened and edited the pte file in Notepad. It seemed easy enough to change the source path. As far as the pictures that I had renamed and some I couldn't find: I ran the original exe file and luckily I had used the Print option that lets you "Save Picture". I saved the pictures that were not found and then changed them in the pte file and then created another exe. There were only a few that I had renamed so this was no big deal. Thanks again! Problem solved. :lol: