WnSoft Forums

Is it worth changing existing sequences?

The oldie

Firstly, to add my congratulations to Igor and the team for their fantastic work.

Now comes the challenge of learning all the details of V5 !

However a question occurs. I, like many I am sure, have lots of av's already made with previous versions. All my saved projects are in 4.48 (itself a splendid version). If I do not, at this time, plan to change or add to the sequences, is there any merit in converting all the projects to V5 deluxe ? I had in mind that maybe everything will run better, more smoothly etc. using V5 ? (Not that I have any complaints about 4.48) Peraps it would be important if one was making DVD's ?

It is my intention, at least at present, to keep v4.48 installed. So there is no problem either way.

My thanks also to all the splendid friendly forum members who spend so much time helping others !

Alan in NE UK

Hello 'Oldie'

I think that you are right! At the moment it is wise to run Version 4.48 alongside Version 5. You can continue to run all of you older shows on version 4.48 (although there are some good reasons why you should re-save them in version 5) but no need to go into that at the moment. Many people will find the learning curve a little steep with this latest release but there are many Forum Members willing to help, as I am sure you already know.

Please take your time with Version 5 and learn at your own pace and I am certain that you will not be disappointed.

Ronnie West

Alan

If you are happy with your version 4 and older shows, don't change them to version 5. I would recommend trying a conversion on one of them, with some PZRO effects added, while retaining your existing version as well, just to determine for yourself if there is any improvement, and also to experiment with some of the new special effects. Once you get hooked on these, it will be hard not to want to add them to some of your older shows.

The only area where you may see a slight improvement would be in the sound, as v.5 uses a new improved sound player. Conversely, if you have a few transitions very close together, you may notice some skipping of images.

For existing and 'finished' slideshows, I personnally would recommend to leave them alone, unless of course you want to add one of the new effects that v5 permits. At least, you'll be sure that they will run smoothly on almost every PC. And if you have transitions like 'mosaic' or from and to desktop, they will run with v4 and not with v5.

I have converted one of my shows and the result wasn't convincing on the same old machine as I had to replace some transitions and/or timings for them to run smoothly. Very very slow dissolves (fade in/out) are a bit jerky when they were not before. I haven't noticed any improvement on the sound as it was already very good.

But, of course, for 'special effects' and easy DVD authoring v5 has to be used and it is a big step forward.

Ronnie, Al & Gerard,

Many thanks indeed for the very useful advice. I have played around with a fairly late beta of V but decided to wait for the final version before really getting to grips with all the super playthings in "objects and animations". I am of course looking forward to the updated tutorials that so many of you experts write. My friend Jeff Evans (jevans) wrote a very neat general and timeline tutorial for the earlier version which was excellent. I have a feeling he will update. I think Ronnie also will be writing new tutorials ? I think a detailed tutorial on the O & A section will be a good help.

Interesting Al your comments about sound. I have done many shows with sequences all made or updated to 4.48, and audiences have remarked how good the sound is. I have a pretty uptodate laptop for shows with a decent soundcard and the results seem fine. If V5 is an improvement it will be even better !

I have been reading this forum since 2003 and have enjoyed all the really brilliant technical input from so many of you. As has been said so many times not only is PTE a cracking good programme but the forum really makes it so user friendly. Personally, watching the developement of this programme, the introduction of the timeline and the "light table" was to me the most significant improvement over the years.

I think I will adopt Al's suggestion and convert one project and add something from V, and compare the running between the two. All great fun !

Once again many thanks,

Alan