WnSoft Forums

Music Problem in EXE

RayC

Hi all,

Can anyone please help, When saveing slideshow to exe then burning to disc,when running from disc music

jumps and get lots of crackles. When played from computer exe is fine also when copied from Disc to computer also fine, Slideshow burnt from DVD Builder show and music fantastic, so problem only when exe played from CD, have tried a few different brands and all have same problem.

Thanks in advance.

RayC

Ray

sounds like the usual problem of trying to run a show from a cd -- not enough computing power to do the job

been a discussed problem many times

ken

Thanks Ken but this as only started happening from about two months ago afraid I couldnt look into sooner as I have been away for over a month everything used to be fine, afraid I cant pinpoint when it started.

Ray

Hi Ray,

There are a ew reasons why sows don't run from a CD. As Ken said the processing power of your PC is one but add to this the read speed of your CD reader. You can also help things along by insuring that your memory demand for the show is as small as possible.

Images are being projected or viewed on a monitor so the file size does not need to be big. Te accepted image size for competition is 1024 x 768 or more recently twice this. If you are using photoshop to resize to this you can set the Image Options slider to the point where it changes from 7 to 8 this will give you an image size of between 200 and 400 kB.

You should use MP3 for your music file as these tend to be about 10% the size of .wav files. Also it is better to have one sound file for the show. Use a sound editor to mix your sound together and esport a "show MP3"

A typical 5 min competition show tends to com in around 20+MB. I find that prople entering competition for the first time large on everything and shows come in at 100+MB. These will never run smoothly from a CD or any other input device.

Have a look at the properties of your show and see if it is a large file. If it is is try resizing yourimages and convert the sound to MP3 and see what you come up with.

Best of Luck,

Alan

Hi Ray,

There are a ew reasons why sows don't run from a CD. As Ken said the processing power of your PC is one but add to this the read speed of your CD reader. You can also help things along by insuring that your memory demand for the show is as small as possible.

Images are being projected or viewed on a monitor so the file size does not need to be big. Te accepted image size for competition is 1024 x 768 or more recently twice this. If you are using photoshop to resize to this you can set the Image Options slider to the point where it changes from 7 to 8 this will give you an image size of between 200 and 400 kB.

You should use MP3 for your music file as these tend to be about 10% the size of .wav files. Also it is better to have one sound file for the show. Use a sound editor to mix your sound together and esport a "show MP3"

A typical 5 min competition show tends to com in around 20+MB. I find that prople entering competition for the first time large on everything and shows come in at 100+MB. These will never run smoothly from a CD or any other input device.

Have a look at the properties of your show and see if it is a large file. If it is is try resizing yourimages and convert the sound to MP3 and see what you come up with.

Best of Luck,

Alan

Hi Alan,

I use 1024x768 Images image slider to 6 MP3 music The exe file is 51.4mb. my Vidiocard is Radion X300 SE, memory 128MB have directx 9.0c.

The slideshow I am testing is useing The Doms Photo Album with 32 Pictures.

Thanks for trying Alan at least a Vidio buned with DVD Builder works fantastic and the music is just great.

All the best Ray

What happens when you transfer the BURNED EXE from the CD back to the Hard Drive and play it from there?

DaveG

Hi dave,

When I transfer from disk to computer It works just great no problem.

Thanks for you concern

Ray

Ray.

You may want to seriously think about adding more memory to your system. 128MB Memory is basically the minimum requirement just for using/getting XP in the door with limited frills. A Radion X300 SE is capable of 256MB with shared GPU memory ... most likely hogging alot of your RAM. If your system is runing on the memory borderline ... many performance issues can come and go ( depending on what programs are currently running and what is sitting preloaded/background at startup).

You be real surprised by adding additional memory how it can rectify/resolve many performance issues. Memory (except Rambus) is real cheap these days and is the best first/quick fix step to improving any system.

Just consider that most every thing you add and install these days just eats up/or into your total overall system memory usuage. Many LCD screens not set at optimal resolution can demand more memory usuage.

Ray,

You simply don't have enough User Memory (RAM Memory) ~ Even 256mB of RAM is a "bit short of wind"

when running a 56mB Show from CD. On average with a 256mB Ram Card the PC Operating System will

need at least 120mB of that, and when "streaming" the data in from the CD-Drive Buffer this will drop it to

somewhere near 75-80mB available ~ then subtract from that the demands of your Anti-Virus Program and

you will be lucky to have 15-30mB to play with ~ thats 'border-line' and on the edge, and if you happen to have an older CD-Drive with a small series-buffer it will make matters even worse !

And you only have 128mB of RAM available ~ Ray,the machine is "starving"........

Tip:- Turn-Off your Anti Virus and disconnect your Internet Cable ~ this should give you just enough to get by with until you sort out the CD-Drive & Ram Memory.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi, Brian & Nobeefstu,

Thanks Guys you got it right I have 512MB Ram but vidio card at 128 must be the problem, Test on on Sons computer same Ram but 256MB card, worked perfect now i know what I need to do.

Thanks all for your great help, this is a great Forum.

Ray

Ray,

OOps,hold on a sec ! ~ I appreciate that you have 512mB of Ram and your Sons' Video Card is 256mB but

like I said..."Check the Ram Buffer size in the CD-Drive"...if this is too small, no amount of Video Card Ram nor User Ram will compensate for a a small CD-Drive Cache Memory.

Do please check the Cache/Memory details of the CD-Drive before you make a final decision......

Brian.Conflow.