WnSoft Forums

Does PTE5 integrate well with other systems?

Hello,

I’m a new PTE5 user and this is my first post on this forum.

When more experienced with the software, one of my intentions is to prepare a presentation that integrates HD or SD video with PTE5 and a screen recording package.

From my research, it seems that hardware rendering makes the use of video in PTE5 a problem at this moment in time. Additionally, my screen recording system is geared to accepting video from a webcam, which could be an issue from a quality perspective. Therefore, I am considering a video editing solution as a “core” system that can handle video and receive .avi files from the screen recorder and PTE5.

I am hoping that the forum members can provide me with their opinions on the following questions:

1. Will the quality of a PTE5 .avi file look bad if used as an integral part of other systems? I was thinking of using either Sony Vegas Platinum or Adobe Premiere Elements.

2. What points do I need to look out for when preparing an .avi file in PTE5 for use in another system?

3. Am I right to think that a video editing application would be the right way to go in terms of integrating PTE5 with video and other applications?

Overall, I’m a little bit concerned about quality of the final output and would appreciate any help that you can offer, as I want to burn the final output to DVD and have the possibility of showing it on the web. I have a feeling that this may be a bit of a challenge.

Best regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Let me take a stab at answering your questions. PTE creates AVI files of any resolution you choose up to and including HD (1920x1080p) so "quality" won't be an issue. That said, if you plan to play your combination shows on DVD at NTSC or PAL resolutions then the quality can't be any better than the display device is able to produce.

Since PTE uses hardware rendering to give the very finest high resolution and smooth output, you are correct that trying to play video directly is a technical nightmare on more than one front. We can simulate video by simply decompiling AVI or MPEG video to jpgs and sequencing them at speeds equal to the 29.97 fps of standard video, but it's a bit obtuse to do it that way so your idea of creating output to AVI then using a good video editor is the preferred way if you plan on mixing the media.

Something like Vegas Video or Adobe Premier or even Premier Elements would be fine for doing this. The quality of the AVI files produce by PTE are equal to any other means. DVD output via PTE's Video Builder is great so you should have no problems with using PTE created AVI files along with other video clips combined with a good editor to output to DVD.

The question of web output is another issue entirely. There are a number of ways of doing this so the first thing one needs to ask is which "quality" level you want to use. The "best" quality output to the web right now is via the Active X used by a competitor Proshow Gold or Proshow Producer by Photodex. This requires the viewer to install Photodex Presenter, an Active X enabled device. Some are hesitant to do this but I've not seen any really issues. The down side is there will always be Photodex advertising splashes on the file and you have to use Proshow Gold or Proshow Producer rather than PicturesToExe to get this. Regardless, this is still the smoothest and best web output not equaled yet by Flash, Quicktime or Windows methods.

The next best way in my experience is to use the latest Flash iteration. This means Flash 8 or Flash 9. If you want a "professional" look with a customized player with your own company logo or name on it then the best I've found is On2 Technologies Flix Pro. If you don't need the player but want to embed the Flash on you web page then you can use Flix Standard which is much less expensive. The difference between perhaps $200 and $40. I use Flix Pro myself, but either works well. You will, however need to do your Flash shows as Flash FLV rather than Flash SWF if you want sound synchronization over about two minutes and if you want progressive download (similar to server side streaming, but technically a bit different). There is an absolute maximum frame count for Flash SWF of 16,000 frames which is about 8 minutes at a full 29.97 fps. Flix lets you have automatic Flash level detection and a link to the MacroMedia site for those without the latest player needed. It also allows a preload so playback in not interrupted by slower links.

PTE has by far the finest quality output of any currently available Presentation Slideshow software regardless of cost. However, output to DVD or web really won't take advantage of this very large difference. Once things are reduced to below 800x600 resolution there are not a great deal of differences in image quality output between various softwares producing slideshows. The main difference with PTE is that it can do animations not possible with other software, but this may or may not be important in your own case.

Feel free to ask more questions and we will all try to help if we can....

Best regards,

Lin

Hello,

I'm a new PTE5 user and this is my first post on this forum.

When more experienced with the software, one of my intentions is to prepare a presentation that integrates HD or SD video with PTE5 and a screen recording package.

From my research, it seems that hardware rendering makes the use of video in PTE5 a problem at this moment in time. Additionally, my screen recording system is geared to accepting video from a webcam, which could be an issue from a quality perspective. Therefore, I am considering a video editing solution as a "core" system that can handle video and receive .avi files from the screen recorder and PTE5.

I am hoping that the forum members can provide me with their opinions on the following questions:

1. Will the quality of a PTE5 .avi file look bad if used as an integral part of other systems? I was thinking of using either Sony Vegas Platinum or Adobe Premiere Elements.

2. What points do I need to look out for when preparing an .avi file in PTE5 for use in another system?

3. Am I right to think that a video editing application would be the right way to go in terms of integrating PTE5 with video and other applications?

Overall, I'm a little bit concerned about quality of the final output and would appreciate any help that you can offer, as I want to burn the final output to DVD and have the possibility of showing it on the web. I have a feeling that this may be a bit of a challenge.

Best regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Let me take a stab at answering your questions. PTE creates AVI files of any resolution you choose up to and including HD (1920x1080p) so "quality" won't be an issue. That said, if you plan to play your combination shows on DVD at NTSC or PAL resolutions then the quality can't be any better than the display device is able to produce.

Since PTE uses hardware rendering to give the very finest high resolution and smooth output, you are correct that trying to play video directly is a technical nightmare on more than one front. We can simulate video by simply decompiling AVI or MPEG video to jpgs and sequencing them at speeds equal to the 29.97 fps of standard video, but it's a bit obtuse to do it that way so your idea of creating output to AVI then using a good video editor is the preferred way if you plan on mixing the media.

Something like Vegas Video or Adobe Premier or even Premier Elements would be fine for doing this. The quality of the AVI files produce by PTE are equal to any other means. DVD output via PTE's Video Builder is great so you should have no problems with using PTE created AVI files along with other video clips combined with a good editor to output to DVD.

The question of web output is another issue entirely. There are a number of ways of doing this so the first thing one needs to ask is which "quality" level you want to use. The "best" quality output to the web right now is via the Active X used by a competitor Proshow Gold or Proshow Producer by Photodex. This requires the viewer to install Photodex Presenter, an Active X enabled device. Some are hesitant to do this but I've not seen any really issues. The down side is there will always be Photodex advertising splashes on the file and you have to use Proshow Gold or Proshow Producer rather than PicturesToExe to get this. Regardless, this is still the smoothest and best web output not equaled yet by Flash, Quicktime or Windows methods.

The next best way in my experience is to use the latest Flash iteration. This means Flash 8 or Flash 9. If you want a "professional" look with a customized player with your own company logo or name on it then the best I've found is On2 Technologies Flix Pro. If you don't need the player but want to embed the Flash on you web page then you can use Flix Standard which is much less expensive. The difference between perhaps $200 and $40. I use Flix Pro myself, but either works well. You will, however need to do your Flash shows as Flash FLV rather than Flash SWF if you want sound synchronization over about two minutes and if you want progressive download (similar to server side streaming, but technically a bit different). There is an absolute maximum frame count for Flash SWF of 16,000 frames which is about 8 minutes at a full 29.97 fps. Flix lets you have automatic Flash level detection and a link to the MacroMedia site for those without the latest player needed. It also allows a preload so playback in not interrupted by slower links.

PTE has by far the finest quality output of any currently available Presentation Slideshow software regardless of cost. However, output to DVD or web really won't take advantage of this very large difference. Once things are reduced to below 800x600 resolution there are not a great deal of differences in image quality output between various softwares producing slideshows. The main difference with PTE is that it can do animations not possible with other software, but this may or may not be important in your own case.

Feel free to ask more questions and we will all try to help if we can....

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thank you! Your response is so helpful and informative. I must admit that I’ve had to think about your comments so please accept my apologies for taking so long to reply.

I was pleased to read your comment that a video editor would be the preferred way to mix media. I have also noted your comments regarding PTE’s ability to create AVI files of any resolution including HD (1920x1080p) and the fact that PTE’s Video Builder produces excellent DVD output. I must say that it’s very confusing from a beginner’s perspective to get a grip on whether there is one ideal size (800x600?) for video, PTE and other systems.

I’m afraid that my lack of knowledge has prompted a few more questions: (1) As PTE does not seem to be the appropriate package to use HD video, are you saying that the use of HD (1920x1080p) really relates to the production of the usual standard slide show material (without video) for use on an HD ready TV? (2) If so, would you resize your photos in a different way for use on a TV rather than a PC monitor? Finally, you say that “DVD output via PTE’s Video Builder is so great so you should have no problems with using PTE created AVI files along with other video clips combined with a good editor to output to DVD” and this leads me to ask (3) Did you mean that Video Builder produces great AVIs for use elsewhere or Video Builder could be used for final DVD output including AVIs from PTE, a video editor and other systems? In the latter case, this would mean that final DVD output would not be done via the video editor, which is my preferred “core” system. Again, I apologize for my “beginner” questions.

Moving on, I found your comments relating to web output to be of great help although this is not an initial requirement. I looked at On2’s website and Flix Pro looks ideal for Flash output. The Power Players also looked superb. I’m not sure if you use the Players but I’d be interested to know whether their use would change the way that you set the size of video or images within PTE.

As an aside, a web search also led me to Wildform’s website. Although I did not see Flix Pro on their site, another search indicated that they used to have such a product. Do you know what the history is here? The ability to integrate video and PowerPoint with a Flash (FLV) output that is better than that provided with Camtasia would be of interest. I’m not sure if Wildform (Presenter Pro) would also take an AVI input from PTE although I can’t see why this should not be possible.

On a final note, I will be using PTE for its overall quality and animations. Flix Pro and the Players look like a great add-on Flash solution. However, I noted your comments about Producer and have to ask whether, in your opinion, this software would be as good a solution for combining video and AVIs from PTE and a screen recording package as that provided by a video editor? Of course, consideration would also need to be given to whether one of the options provides a better way of producing a menu / table of contents.

I hope that the subject matter is of interest and help to other forum members. Once again, thank you for your valuable input and insight.

Best regards,

Phil