WnSoft Forums

PTE V4.47 vs PTE v5.0 Compatability

fh1805

Hi everyone,

I've been a user of PTE for about two years now and have about two dozen sequences built using PTE v4 (my current level of this version is 4.47). Last weekend I downloaded PTE v5.0 and started "playing" with it to get a feel for what it can do and how I can make it do what I'd like to it to do. So far so good!

I have some older sequences that I would like to revise using features from PTE v5. In particular I'd like to use pan and zoom effects to give me the function equivalent to a rostrum camera when the image is an old one (e.g. postcards and photos from 1870-1910 vintage). I understand how to achieve the effects that I want from the "playing" that I've already done.

My questions are as follows:

Will PTE v5.0 read the PTE v4.47 *.pte file?

If so, will the sequence, when run under PTE v5.0 behave the same as it did under PTE 4.47?

I'm a big believer in "one small step at a time" and I'd like to start by simply converting the *.pte files to PTE v5.0 format (using "File...Save as..." of course in order to preserve the v4.47 copy).

Before I change all of the current sequences I'd like reassurance that I'll not be creating problems where none previously existed.

Any advice would be most welcome.

regards,

Peter

My questions are as follows:

If so, will the sequence, when run under PTE v5.0 behave the same as it did under PTE 4.47?

I'm a big believer in "one small step at a time" and I'd like to start by simply converting the *.pte files to PTE v5.0 format (using "File...Save as..." of course in order to preserve the v4.47 copy).

Peter

when you open the 447 pte with ver 5 do a save as under a different name

447 will not open a ver 5 pte

when you want to reopen the 447 show open the 447 program first and direct it to the 447 pte

there a few things - a lot:) -- that react differently - take one step at a time with frequent saves

get Jeff and Lin's pdf tutorial as well

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....?showtopic=7202

and start visiting regular as Igor is back in the saddle and things will quite likely be changing very soon

ken

Yes.

Mostly, however there are some areas where the default settings have changed and other, (a small number), functions that have changed.

I'd like to start by simply converting the *.pte files to PTE v5.0 format (using "File...Save as..." of course in order to preserve the v4.47 copy).

Peter, Ken has covered this well in his answer, but I would like to stress you save all your v4.xx PTE projects, exe files etc before doing anything in v5 and keep them in another folder, CD, DVD, etc as once converted to v5 v4.xx can't open them. Best to do a "create template for this show" of your v4.xx shows and save this with the exe file.

Peter,

Before I change all of the current sequences I'd like reassurance that I'll not be creating problems where none previously existed.

The only other contrbution I can make in addition to the above posts is ... does you PC meet the specfications to use v5 and all its available features ?

First & Foremost : contained in the PTE FAQ

#5 Question:

What are the system requirements for slide shows?

Answer:

For slide shows with Pan/Zoom effects:

PC with 1.4 GHz CPU, 256 MB of system memory, video card with 128 MB of video memory.

Windows XP, Vista, 2000, 2003, Me, 98 or 95.

DirectX 8.1 or later.

For slide shows created with simple effects:

PC with 500 Mhz CPU, 64 Mb of system memory, any video card.

Any version of Windows.

To use full feature pan/zooms requires you and your future/proposed viewers both must meet the system requirements. In some cases it requires alot more system memory and video performance (pending each pc setup/config settings)