WnSoft Forums

Holy Island (Lindisfarne)

fh1805

Here's a sequence that I built earlier this year with PTE4 and have just spent 3 hours this lunch-time (don't worry, folks, I'm semi-retired!) re-building in PTEv5.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9rdy2vy9moy (File size is c.15MB)

I decided to rebuild it because I originally used a font that I subsequently discovered wasn't on every PC. So the show didn't always have the look and feel that I had built into it on my own PC. The only use of new function in PTEv5 is the use of rasterized text stored as PNG files. Now, the show really is WYSIWIS - what you see is what I saw!!!

The images were taken during a five day visit at the start of May this year. The weather was glorious on the Monday and then went rapidly downhill. By Tuesday evening it was dull, overcast and occasional rain showers and stayed that way. It brightened up again 2 hours after I left on the Friday.

For the benefit of the overseas viewers, the Holy Island of Lindisfarne is located off the north-eastern coast of England just a few miles south of the border with Scotland. It is accessible across a causeway for 3 hours either side of low tide. At all other times it is truly an island. It is famed as the cradle of Christianity in England and has association with St.Aidan, St.Cuthbert and others from the Celtic Christian tradition around 650-750AD. It was through my faith that I was directed to go there and take photographs to set to this particular piece of music - but that's another story!

Enjoy!

Neil,

Thanks for your comments. My sequences are built primarily for my own pleasure but I do show them to various local organisations. I always try and get the audience's attention with the opening and then send them home happy with the ending. As I said in my original post, the weather conspired against me for most of the week so I had to build the show with the material that I had. I'm not entirely happy with it but I'll need to go back for another week to try for some more material. Maybe next year.

Pleasant show Peter.

....<snip>...I always try and get the audience's attention with the opening and then send them home happy with the ending....<snip>...

You have achieved that here. Thanks for sharing.

Hi "ltdedorc",

The camera was a Nikon D70 body and the lenses that I took with me on that trip were Nikkor AF 20mm, AF-D 35-70mm and AF 70-210mm. The "closeups" were all taken using the 35-70mm. I do have the Nikkor AF Macro 105mm which is a real beauty for all the way to lifesize images but it is also a heavy little beast and I was "travelling light" on this trip using a camera bag that can hold the body and three lenses. All images were supported by a monopod.

Post-production in Photoshop Elements was pretty much restricted to Auto Contrast and Sharpen Unsharp Mask at 80%.

Glad you liked the end result. Thanks for the comments and queries.

Hi Peter

The title of your show caught my eye. I had the pleasure of visiting Holy Island for half a day (restricted by the tides) back in 2005. It was definitely a place I could have lingered in if I had have had more time.

Great to see it in a different moody light. Definitely thought the images at the start of your show were the strongest.

By the way, do you know what those huge Spikes are on the coast? we saw them on the drive in but never got round to asking the locals what their purpose was.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Colin,

They are the licences I need to keep me legal as far as UK Copyright law is concerned. They relate to my use of commercially recorded music as my background music.

MCPS = Mechanical Copyright Protection Society

BPI = British Phonographic Industry

PPL = Phonographic Performance Ltd

As a New Zealander I dont think they will be directly relevant to you. But I fully expect that there will be some equivalent form of copyright law applicable in New Zealand.

The following website gives a good summary of the situation as it applies to UK-based AV workers:

http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/copyright.htm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the interest. I agree with you, the opening images are the strongest. But, as I stated in the initial post, the weather refused to cooperate that week. As I'm sure you've encountered often enough, sometimes we have to take what we're given. I was given dull, overcast so had to switch to flower photography and church interiors. What I really wanted were some striking sunsets and some moonlight shots.

The "spikes" were erected in the 1800s and are leading marks for shipping entering the harbour channel. The calcining of lime in kilns down by the castle was a big local industry in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Because of the tidal races created between the island and the mainland, the harbour channel was always tricky to negotiate, so the markers were erected to assist ships to get onto the correct bearing for a safe entry to harbour.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the spike info makes a lot of sense to me now :-)

I truly understand about the whole having to make the best of what the weather throws at you when only being in a location for a certain limited period of time, its for this reason I believe some of the best shows are those based on areas not too far from where one lives and taken over a long period of time.

Some of those postcard photographers must just spend days waiting to get that perfect shot (then apply a heavy polarizer and crank up the saturation in photoshop big time :-)

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Colin,

They are the licences I need to keep me legal as far as UK Copyright law is concerned. They relate to my use of commercially recorded music as my background music.

MCPS = Mechanical Copyright Protection Society

BPI = British Phonographic Industry

PPL = Phonographic Performance Ltd

As a New Zealander I dont think they will be directly relevant to you. But I fully expect that there will be some equivalent form of copyright law applicable in New Zealand.

The following website gives a good summary of the situation as it applies to UK-based AV workers:

http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/copyright.htm

Aahh, thanks for the info. There are similar laws here also, but I don't know of anyone who has taken the trouble to obtain licences as you have done. Most just rely on such a minor infraction not to be worth pursuing by the copyright holders, and it seems they turn a blind eye to more or less private usage of music tracks even though technically it is illegal.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lorraine,

Welcome to the PTE Forum! You'll find us a friendly and knowledgeable bunch who will gladly pass on hints and tips to help you get what you want out of PTE. It might also be fruitful if you spend some time just browsing any of the threads that catch your eye. I found that a great way to pick up the terminology of PTE and in the going found some very useful and timely advice.

I'm pleased that you liked the sequence. The piece of music was called "Close to You (I Watch the Sunrise)" from a CD of Christian faith songs titled "Come Back To Me" by an artist called Marilla Ness. If you google her name you will find her website.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the welcome..I will take your advice and read up on Picture2exe. I have been using Proshow Producer for some time but it does have some annoying quirks so I was looking for an alternative. Picture2exe looks good but lacks some of Proshow's features. I suppose I am looking for the best of both worlds really.

Thanks for the info on the music..I will look it up and probably buy it. I have found the Pure Moods CDs very good for background music for my shows.

Best Wishes

Lorraine

Sorry to let you know after download All I got was on opening File not found or damaged

and I could not open it. I only have a dial up connection and it took over an hour to download.

Can you post it on beechbrook and a zip file instead of the web page you have chosen.

I vist Northumbria at least once a year and i would have liked to have seen it

Royo

Hi Royo,

Zipping the file will not have a significant effect on the overall file size. A PTE exe file contains the MP3 soundtrack file (already heavily compressed), the image JPEG files (low resolution and heavily compressed) and a small amount of information that controls the timing of the sequence and the transition effects and a small amount of code to actually make it all work. The original exe file was 14,614KB in size. The zip file is 13,768KB. If it took over an hour to download on your dialup connection, it will still take over an hour to download on a dialup connection. This time will not change much no matter which hosting service I use.

There have been over 200 downloads of the two sequences that I have posted on MediaFire and, to date, just the one complaint - from yourself. I am sorry but I am not prepared to produce my sequences in multiple formats and on multiple hosting sites.

Here's a sequence that I built earlier this year with PTE4 and have just spent 3 hours this lunch-time (don't worry, folks, I'm semi-retired!) re-building in PTEv5.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9rdy2vy9moy (File size is c.15MB)

I decided to rebuild it because I originally used a font that I subsequently discovered wasn't on every PC. So the show didn't always have the look and feel that I had built into it on my own PC. The only use of new function in PTEv5 is the use of rasterized text stored as PNG files. Now, the show really is WYSIWIS - what you see is what I saw!!!

The images were taken during a five day visit at the start of May this year. The weather was glorious on the Monday and then went rapidly downhill. By Tuesday evening it was dull, overcast and occasional rain showers and stayed that way. It brightened up again 2 hours after I left on the Friday.

For the benefit of the overseas viewers, the Holy Island of Lindisfarne is located off the north-eastern coast of England just a few miles south of the border with Scotland. It is accessible across a causeway for 3 hours either side of low tide. At all other times it is truly an island. It is famed as the cradle of Christianity in England and has association with St.Aidan, St.Cuthbert and others from the Celtic Christian tradition around 650-750AD. It was through my faith that I was directed to go there and take photographs to set to this particular piece of music - but that's another story!

Enjoy!