NEW SHOW

cici

What a beautiful show Sam - thank you!

Regarding your readme file note:

FOR PTE FORUM MEMBERS

My pictures lose a lot of the original sharpeness of my

slides; I think it's due to my scanner ( a flat scanner -

a good one - with an adapter for scanning slides) almost

than to a bad working. Suggestions about are  welcome!

Anyway, after reading some topics about, I think that I

have just to buy a new and more appropriate scanner!

Sam

You may be able to improve present scanner results by the following:

1. If you must scan to JPEG, scan to MAX JPEG quality and use another tool such as Irfanview, Photoshop etc. to compress to the final higher compression (lowering quality to save space). Bundled scanner software will generally do a poor job at JPEGs of less than top quality, and will make larger file size for a given quality level when compared to compression by better software.

2. Preferably scan to TIFF or BMP if scanner JPEGs are not good enough at even max quality, and then convert using another photo application.

3. Set scanner to maximum dpi setting available when scanning 35mm slides (you probably already did this) and experiment with the scanner software's "sharpness" control. Sometimes results are better with "none", sometimes not.

4. Do any pixel size reduction with Irfanview, Photoshop etc. after scanning to MAX dpi. Max dpi creates a large image size and it is best to reduce with external software.

5. If you have image noise (graininess) that you can't stop by scanner settings, try Neat Image software. You can take a sample of noise in the blue sky and then tell it to process your photo. Neat Image will masterfully remove noise from the entire photo and can process other pics without resampling each pic's noise if from same scanner or camera. Neat Image removes noise without "smoothing" your picture. "Smoothing" a picture, or "blurring", "smart blurring", etc. will all reduce sharpness and "average" the noise, hence reducing it. Neat Image *eliminates* noise and has no effect on sharpness. There is a free version. Get the software at:

http://www.neatimage.com/

Thanks again for the very nice show. That introduction and fade into color was masterfullfy done! :(