WnSoft Forums

Fade transitions and flicker in AVI

speleodave

I use mainly fades as my transitions in shows and was very disappointed in the flicker this produces when making an AVI file. I did some experimenting in the ouput but nothing seems to improve the problem. I'm using the anti-flicker filter and tried both auto and progressive modes. Are there particular codecs that might work better, or anything I can do in the show parameters itself, that would improve the AVIs made from my shows?

speleodave,

I don't see the flicker in the regular show on the PC, but it shows in the video preview.

In building your show ... Disable Hardware Acceleration from the PTE Project Options/Screen Tab: Hardware Acceleration (D3D) checkbox. Verify the Preview again. If issue is resolved ... it indicates your video card performance may not be up to the task.

What Codec are you using now to produce your avi ?

Speleodave,

>I don't see the flicker in the regular show on the PC, but it shows in the video preview.<

If you are talking about the 'preview' shown during video compilation, the transitions you see are not representative of the end product. Go ahead and Burn the DVD, it will be O.K.

regards,

Limey

Limey

Thanks for the comment on the other Preview possibility. I actually call this window the compilation view ... since the user never really clicks any preview button. One may normally perceive it as a actual preview of the slideshow. I guess more clarification is needed in these situations ... since PTE and Video Builder have various preview possibilities. It also possible he may be using the Create Avi file section which has a preview button ... this would preview/show the actual avi in WMPlayer.

Yes, I was doing the preview in the "creat AVI file" dialog box.

I tried disabling hardware acceleration, but that just makes the synch in the show very poor. I have a top rated video card (ATI Radeon 1650) running at 2560x1600 at 60 hz so probably that's not the problem.

I just discovered another weird thing. You see, I'm not trying to cut a DVD, just make an AVI file that can be shown on the computer. But PTE has this lame feature where it only wants to make the AVI temporarily, and write it to DVD, then nuke it once you click "Finish." In fact the only way I could find to save it is to copy it to another disk BEFORE clicking finish. But now I notice that the one I copy to another drive plays without the photos, just the sound? So now my more major issue is how to just create and SAVE a basic AVI in the first place

I'm using the PTE codec with it, and playing in Real Player or Windows Media.

nobeefstu,

Oh yes. I'd forgotten about the "Create AVI file " possibility.

Let's hope speleodave gives us more info.

Regards,

Limey

speleodave,

So now my more major issue is how to just create and SAVE a basic AVI in the first place

The PTE codec is not capable/configured to produce stand-alone AVI files ... its intended for import into DVD authoring programs.

Most users are satisfied with the results using Microsofts Mpeg4 codec to produce stand-alone AVI files.

XviD is a freeware Mpeg4 codec that also produces nice results (in my opinion)

*Note: codecs used to compress/encode avi are also required to decompress/decode the avi for playback.

Heres a link to download Xvid :

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/xvid.html#downloads

There are other codecs available ... but you must decide freeware vs shareware.

anything I can do in the show parameters itself, that would improve the AVIs made from my shows?

If you have customised your fades for long durations ... lower them to 1500-2000 ms. Avi files can not match the speed/quality of the exe slideshow.

To verify if the images themselves are causing the flicker ... disable the image transistions as a test.

The MSPlayer itself can also promote flicker :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...e/0064.mspx#E2D