WnSoft Forums

password protection after time expiration

jblaker

I am a photographer using Pictures to Exe to present images of sitting as a supplement to an image booklet. The program is the greatest thing I have seen as far as ease of use and the many indvidual controls of the program. For my application use the date expiration feature so that the images can only be viewed for a certain number of days. After this, my preference is for the client to buy a full functioning copy of the presentation. It would be great if somehow after a preset date of expiration of the exe file you could enter a password to play the exe file again, even if you had to enter the password each time the file was played. Is something like this possible? Would it be useful for anyone else? Does anyone have any other ideas for me?

Also, how hard would it be to use the synchronize slideshow to music duration and be able to have the slides in the show as a random sort at the same time?

Thanks,

Jeff Blaker

1. Why would I want to tell people that?

2. If someone told me that and I back dated some of my computers I would have time/date sensitive software programs that would shut down until I reactivated them with the company.

3. I know that not all people are going to be honest and some will figure out to backdate their computer, but for now I am going to assume that I am still working with an honest majority.

Thanks for the input

Actually, that is a very good idea. In fact, it would be VERY helpful if you could provide a "window" of use of the program both with and without the password.

In other words, the presentation is provided to a customer using a timed expiration. For example you give them the presentation on June 1st and you set it to expire on June 30th, 2003. At that point, just like you stated, The password feature would kick in on July 1st, 2003. But if the programming could be done, you could also set the password feature to work PRIOR to June 1st. Is this possible?

jblaker,

Have you tried looking into various zip/extractor programs with their various options ? As some may supply alternatives to your needs.

My personal opinion is that expiration is meant to expire a program from futher use. It forces your client to make a decision as to what step they persue next in obtaining your shareware. As for passworded programs ... they are meant to give unlimited time access but with the minor annoyance of entering a password for that use. The objective of these features is to annoy or force your potential client to making some decision within a certain time frame.

Offering both in combo ... just postpones the client to making a timely decision ... which they never may make.

I realize you are in business to make a buck -- been there done that etc .. you tick off a customer and you aint gonna have a customer

if you thinking of giving them a disk to try do it with no restrictions -- if they stiff you, tough luck you -- should have got enough money up front

next time you will

give them a disc when you got your agreed upon price -- not before -- as a "thank you very much , recommend me to your friends"

if you search the forum archives you will find lots of comments

:)

ken

I suggest another way.

In my less expensive photo collections when people tell me they want lots of nice images created BUT will decide quickly which they will make into enlargements and don't want to get very fance about it, I give them a TIMED Photo CD Index of all their images (weddings, mitzvahs, family celebrations, etc).

IF I want them to have a fully functioning version later, I can recreate the slideshow with only ONE change to the master program and burn a new CD. Then I give them the new UNtimed version, and they feel I have given them a significant gift and souvenir of their event... which I have!

Hope this helps.