WnSoft Forums

Manually advancing slides

JohnDH

Hi JohnDH and welcome to the forum.

There are probably several ways to achieve what you want. My own approach would be to build two separate sequences. The manually controlled sequence and the automated sequence. Then have the last slide of the manual sequence run the automated sequence as an external program.

I have no doubts whatsoever that other forum members might suggest other alternatives. That to me is one of the beauties of the forum. You get lots of advice and can then pick the solution that fits best with the way you think and work.

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to ask a similar question until I saw this thread name. I simply want to make a show where only the user advances the slides with a mouse. I have gone through the whole PDF manual just posted here, and cannot seem to make a slide show where the slides aren't moving automatically. I set the options for the mouse buttons to advance the slides in the Project Options Advanced tab, yet when I make the show the slides still advance automatically after a few seconds...though clearly responding when I use the mouse. I tried setting the duration of the slides to 0 and still they go automatically. I am using a fade transition of 1.5 seconds duration.

It's odd, because I'm sure I was able to do this in earlier versions of PTE, but can't do it in version 5. They need an option that just says "Control slides using mouse or keyboard ONLY.

Dave

Basic question from a new user:

Is there a way to manually advance slides in a portion of the slide show and then add music and advance automatically in the other portion of the show?

ALSO: The new version of iTunes downloads as .m4p files. How can I use these in PTE Deluxe 5.0?

thanks!

I was about to ask a similar question until I saw this thread name. I simply want to make a show where only the user advances the slides with a mouse. I have gone through the whole PDF manual just posted here, and cannot seem to make a slide show where the slides aren't moving automatically. I set the options for the mouse buttons to advance the slides in the Project Options Advanced tab, yet when I make the show the slides still advance automatically after a few seconds...though clearly responding when I use the mouse. I tried setting the duration of the slides to 0 and still they go automatically. I am using a fade transition of 1.5 seconds duration.

It's odd, because I'm sure I was able to do this in earlier versions of PTE, but can't do it in version 5. They need an option that just says "Control slides using mouse or keyboard ONLY.

Dave

Select Project Options and then on the advanced tab left mouse button field use previous slide and on the right mouse field use next slide. In Project Options Main tab set the time interval for new slide to a high value, (say 2000 Sec), leave all the other settings here at the default settings. This should work fine.

Also you should be able to setup a fully manually controlled show by using the menu bar.

Dave I just tried setting the Time interval for New Slides to 0 as you did and it also worked fine for me. :huh:

What other settings are you using? Are you using any music?

I'd thought of just putting in a long time interval, and when I do that I can get the effect I want, but it seems like there should be a better way.

However, any time I try setting the Time Interval for New slides to 0, and then hitting "set for existing slides" I get whatever I had last entered. It just won't go to zero. I figured that might be because I had a fade transition set to 1.5 seconds, but even with "no effect" selected I can't get zero to take. Any other number works fine. It also sometimes takes several presses to get a new number to take. I'd say this is a glitch in the program.

Otherwise there are few other settings. No music, 175 images at 1280x1024, build slide show selected. A few slides have text overlayed.

I did try the menu bar but I still get some sort of auto-advance. What's needed is some sort of built-in way to disable that, that would just disable or bypass the duration dialog.

quote name='jfa' date='Oct 5 2007, 04:56 PM' post='46298']

Dave I just tried setting the Time interval for New Slides to 0 as you did and it also worked fine for me. :huh:

What other settings are you using? Are you using any music?

With more testing Dave it appears that the patten is as follows:

If I set the Time interval for New Slide to 0 and preview the show I get the same problem you do.

However if I set this value to a high value, (say 2000 S), and then preview the show it works as expected with this timing.

Now I then set the Time interval for New Slide back to 0 this appears to work as expected.

However what has happened is the previous long setting, (before setting the value to 0), is remembered by Time interval for New Slide and in affect the 0 setting is not working to give infinite timing on the slide.

I also believe that this function existed in PTE v4.48 but is not working correctly now.