WnSoft Forums

Lost PTE File

mightec

Is there a limit to the number of slides or file size of PTE. I was busily creating a slideshow and had gotten up to 1300 slides, when I had problems opening the file, only to find that there file was no longer in the directory. Gone, completely disappeared, any ideas.!!!!!!!

Is there a limit to the number of slides or file size of PTE

From the PTE FAQ section:

"Question: How many slides can I include to my slide show?

Answer: Up to 20000 slides (unregistered version limited to 10 slides)".

I was busily creating a slideshow and had gotten up to 1300 slides, when I had problems opening the file, only to find that there file was no longer in the directory. Gone, completely disappeared, any ideas.!!!!!!!
Had you saved it?? :o

John

Thanks, I thought that I was well within the limit of the number of slides. I had saved the file, on a number of occasions, but if I had failed to save the last time, I should be able to see the previously saved file. The only other thought that goes through my mind, is that I am running the slides with a delay or 40 Mses, perhaps this is the reason!

Mike,

I just jotted down a few calculations for 1300 Slides @ 200kB per Slide + 1300 Transitions (presumed)

with 40 millesecs between each is really starting to over-stretch the Read/Write abilities of a good

560mB Ram Memory (User Memory) even a 1gB Memory will start to feel the pain.

To achieve good stability I personally would put a lower limit of 100mS for transitions between Slides.

This to allow enough time for the Processor to Read/Write within such a large Data Field ~ it is big !

That's only my opinion ~ other's may try and go to the Wire. But at the end of the day there is a limit

to the Read/Write Speed of the PCs Databus which has nothing to do with the Processor Clock Speed.

It's been my experience if you 'overload' the internal PC Databus the Processor will 'interrupt' and most

likely it will default to 'clear' ~ this was very common with old '95 and '98 and I see no reason why the

same would not happen with more modern PC's. It might be the reason you lost the File...

Hope this helps...

Brian.Conflow.

Brian

Thank for your information, the process is slowing down now that I am slide 2051, I have decided to increase the memory. Cheers

Hi Mike,

As well as increasing the Memory you need to give the Processor a little more "breathing-space" as 40millsecs is very close to the 'Read/Write Access Speed' between the Processor and Memory and if your Image Display is less than 500mS ~ well you are really pushing it ~ but best of Luck anyhow.

Brian.

Hello Brian

What I am trying to do is run a number of slides, 2600, at a speed that is equivalent to 25 slides per second. I have a job to do for a friend and it includes a short speech captured as a video. It was original taken on an SLR and at 15 frames per second, but this is a little to jerky. But if all fails I can revert to this speed.

Mike,

I had a feeling you were doing that ~ 25 Frames/Sec is nearly akin to Cinema Projection of 24.Fps

and as 1.Sec= 1000.millesec so each frame would be 40mS. In comparison "Home Video" would

be 25.Fps + 25.Interlace Frames making 50.Fps or 20mS each, this to agree with the PAL TV Standard.

If you get it right, the Cinematic idea would be less 'stressful' on the PC and would provide full

Color with Hi-definition compared to a Home-DVD which is terrible because it cant imitate a TV Signal.

Your project is a very clever idea and if I can be of help let me know.

As to TV-v-Home DVD

People forget that a TV Signals is "designed" to convey Movement/Pan/Zoom and it takes a full 6.Mb of

Bandwidth to generate 1 Frame and at 50 Fps (+Interlace) it uses 300.Mb to execute all the 50 Frames.

TV Sets also have an Image-Delay system so that the streaming RF.Video can be recomposed prior to

projection on to the TV.Screen. TV Screen's also have Image-persistance to fool the eye and it also has

a thing called Chroma-correction and also digital-data to compensate for Brightness and Contrast and a whole 'kit and bundle' of goodies transmitted over 13/16 Line Scans which can't be seen as they are off

the top of the Screen.

Sadly a Home-DVD Show can't emulate this sophisticated TV Signal and the very best one can expect

is to make the PTE Slideshow as a simple DVD Slideshow then one would get reasonable results.

Mike

Pity you are not using a Mac Computer and their Mac Picture Program which made Starwars and most of

George Lucas Productions, then you would be home and dry. I'm waiting for the day that one can run the

PTE Program on a Mac ~ that would be something else !

As I said, If you need any help let me know...

Brian.Conflow.

Hello Brian

You clearly know this subject well, am I doing right by setting the slide period at 40 mS. if I get into any further problems I will give you a call.

Mike,

I think you might just get away with 40.mS ~

As a "Prelim Test" get yourself a good 1.Gb Memory-Pen such as Belkin or Mikomi or Integral

fetured on Page.1024 of the Argus Catalog ~ Price approx: £ 12 sterling or less.

At this stage 'Load your Show on to the Pen' and 'Replay' it from the Pen ~ this avoids all

the Mechanical problems with the Hard-Drive and uses very little RAM Memory.

The Processor runs the Memory-Pen directly so you are running at USB Buss Speeds: 480mB/Sec

and there is no 'mechanics' in the way. This is infinitely more stable and much faster that reading

from the HardDrive into the RAM then via the Graphic Card to the Monitor and way,way, faster when

you run it on a Host PC. You also avoid all the 'Mechanical Uncertainties' of Burning to a CD and then

replaying that on the CD-Drive of the Host PC ~ this indeed could possibly be a slow CD-Drive ?

If it runs from the Memory-Pen as you intended ~ then you are home and dry in more ways than

one, and its a hell of a lot cheaper on your Time than the uncertainty of not knowing ?

Let me know how you get on...

Brian.Conflow.

2600 slides in a slide show is expecting far to much from an audience not only from the computer system.

Ron

Ronnie,

Perhaps you missed where he said he was running the slides at 25 slides per second - 40 msec each - to simulate a movie. At that speed, if he can achieve it, the show will last for 104 seconds. I shudder to think what the graphics card will be doing ...

Colin

Hello Ron and Colin

Yes, I am running it as a video, I have run it at 2100 slides and it work just fine. It is important because it is a short introduction speech from a friends Golden Wedding Celebration in Tenby South Wales. I am hoping that it will be OK with the full 2600 slide, if not I will have to revert back to the original 15 fps.

Hi Everyone that gave me advise on this subject. I have finished the project and it works OK up to a point. The problem comes when trying to synchronise the speech to the timing of the slide display. I have set the timing at 40ms, the length of the sequence is 103.888 secs and there are 2596 slides, this equates to a timing of 40.1849ms. Is there any way that I can get this accurate with the timings?

Hi Everyone that gave me advise on this subject. I have finished the project and it works OK up to a point. The problem comes when trying to synchronise the speech to the timing of the slide display. I have set the timing at 40ms, the length of the sequence is 103.888 secs and there are 2596 slides, this equates to a timing of 40.1849ms. Is there any way that I can get this accurate with the timings?

It might be easier to accept the slide timings as they are, and adjust the sound length to fit.

I use a sound editor called Goldwave, and it allows me to lengthen or shorten within limits the duration of a sound track without audibly altering the sound. I used this for a AV show intended for a competition, which stipulated that the show must be less than 5 minutes, and Goldwave was able to shrink the track from 5:21 to 4:59, worked well.

I don't know if Audacity will do this, but if not, Goldwave is free to d/l and try. OTOH, if you are trying to achieve some sort of lip-sync, well good luck is all that I can say ...

Colin

Hello Colin

I think you probably right, which at the moment is what I have done. The problem the subject is of a person speaking and it drifts away towards the end. I use Audacity and you can change the temp of the audio recording, I will give it a try. Thanks again for your interest.