WnSoft Forums

Custon Slide problem. Help please

Ray Ashton

Hi,

I am new to using Pictures To Exe and have come across a problem when putting together a slide show. In the Project Options I have set the Time Interval for all slides to 7 secs. However, the first two slides which are to be used as title slides, I am trying to use Customize Slide to increase the Display Time to 15 secs. So, in the Customize Slide window, I have changed the Display Time and checked the Use Customize Setting box but when I Preview the show the slides are only showing for the 7secs same as all the other slides. When I look on the Timeline they are showing as 15secs. When I click Play in the Timeline window the slides will run for 15secs, as they should, but not when I use Preview. If I look at the Customize Slide window the check is not showing in the Use Customize Setting box. I have tried deleting the file and starting again but getting the same result. I don't seem to be able to use the Customize Slide. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please?

Best wished,

Ray

Hi Ray and welcome to the Forum!

I've just tried to recreate your problem by building a quick little sequence myself. I proceeded as follows:

Using PTE v5 I navigated to a folder containing some images I use in demo sessions. I then built a sequence comprising Black Slide, Blue slide and Yellow Slide to represent your two title slides, two red slides to represent the rest of your sequence and a final black slide. At this point I haven't changed any of PTEv5's default settings.

I then went into Project Options, Main tab and set the slide duration to 7 seconds and clicked the "Set for existing slides" button. I went into the Timeline to see what it showed. All slides at 7 seconds as expected. I Ok'd out of Timeline.

I then clicked on the first "title" slide to select it and then clicked on the "Customise Slide" and set the "Display slide for" value to 15 seconds. I did not, repeat not, tick the "Use customised settings" box. I repeated these actions for the second "title" slide.

Again I went into the Timeline to see what was what. Again all was as expected: the two "title" slides showed 15 seconds, the rest showed 7 seconds.

I gave the sequence a piece of music (I couldn't get it to "Play" from the Timeline window without doing this) and let it Play. All was as expected.

I then OK'd out of Timeline and ran Preview and all was as expected.

I cannot recreate your problem.

Does what I have described differ from what you have done?

Welcome to the world of PTE A-Vs and the user forum Ray, you will find lots of friendly help and advice here.

I too tried to recreate your problem and found, as Peter did, that all would work as required.

Several questions and observations---

What effects/transitions are you using?

Have you changed any other settings in either Project Options or Customise Slide?

Are you using any O&A settings?

If the Use Customise settings For This Slide box is checked or not the timing appears to work for each individual slide when changed from the project timing.

When this check box is selected, then on revisiting the Customise Slide window this box is shown unchecked, (reset). This is something I have not noticed before maybe someone else can explain this, I would expect it to remain checked.

When in Project Options if you click on the Set For Existing Slides button this will change all the slide timing to that set here. So if you do this after setting timing on individual slides it will be reset on them to this value.

Also Ray what type of image files are you using? JPEG, BMP, etc.

Many thanks for your replies and suggestions. I'll try them out and let you know how I get on.

I am using one transition effect for the whole show which is cross fade.

I haven't changed anything else in the Project Properties other than to increase teh the display time fot all slides to 7 sec.

I have added O&A to the first two slides (the ones I'm haveing problems with) added text as .png images and have them zooming and fading up.

All the slides are Jpeg.

I'm going to delete the show and start again to see what happens. If you have any other suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thanks for you welcome. I guess I maybe will be using this foram quite a bit! Pictues to Exe is a great program but will take a lot of learning!

Best wishes

Ray

Hi Ray,

You stated in your last reply that you have added text objects (.png files) to your title slides. Are you sure that the total elapsed time of your animation keypoints is less than or equal to the overall elapsed time that you want for this slide?

I have had some really screwy results when my animation keypoints inadvertently go beyond the end of the main image's duration.

Hi

I'm a happy chappie! Thanks for your advice. I re-made my slide show from scratch and it seems to be working ok. Including the two intro slides with titles at the beginning and an End title slide. I set the global slide time to 7 secs and then changed the first two slides to 15 secs each then added the animated text titles.

The next thing I'd like to do is to add some music and would be gratful for some advice/help, please. The total time for my slide show is 5 mins 39 sec and my piece of music is 5 mins 46 secs. When I add the music I will click the Synchronize Music And Slides button but, should I also check the Auto Spread Slides Along Music box? Or will this affect the time of the first two slides and screw up my animations? I wonder should you add the music first and check the Auto Spread button and then add the animations? Is this a chicken and egg situation, lol?

I've a feeling this is going to be a long steep learning curve! :)

When I've completed this Project I'll post it for your appraisal, :lol:

Thanks

Ray

Ray,

Re your question of synchronising music and slides, there are several ways to do it. But try this as the difference between your total slide duration and the music is quite small.

Make sure that the slide show runs as you expect it to do before attaching the music. So the duration of the show is 5 min 39 secs. Now attach the music track on the Project Options, Music tab. Now open the timeline and make sure that you can see the waveform for the music (click on the "waveform" button). Now scroll to the end of the timeline so that you can see the last few slides and the end of the music track. Now you can drag the last few images along the timeline so that the last image finishes just after the end of the music waveform. I usually have a black slide as my last slide so that I can just fade away the last proper image as the music ends. So you could add a black slide to your show and make its duration 5 min 46 sec - 5 min 39 sec = 7 secs (say 8 secs) or you can adjust the last few slide positions to give you a shorter last black slide time.

There are other ways of getting the same result such as editing the music track etc but they are more complicated and require you to use a sound editor.

I'm a happy chappie! Thanks for your advice. I re-made my slide show from scratch and it seems to be working ok. Including the two intro slides with titles at the beginning and an End title slide...<snip>...

Glad to hear you are on your way and the first problem has been solved Ray.

I would suggest you now download Lin and Jeff's excellent "PTE USER GUIDE" PDF document, which you will find under the Tutorial section of the forum. It will answer most of your questions and save you hours.

Hi Ray,

The difference in length of your music and your slide sequence is something that you could also address very easily with the sound-editor software - Audacity (free download from http://audacity.sourceforge.net).

You simply bring your music file into Audacity by doing Project... Import Audio... and then shorten the music by doing Effects... Change Tempo...

I guarantee that an 8 second change over a 5mins 40secs track will be virtually imperceptible to your ear.

And you preserve the artistic integrity of the timing of your images.

Have fun!

Hi All,

Once again many thanks for your advice and help.

I have now added the music to my show by using the Timeline and extending the time of the last few slides and it works great! I have also downloaded Audacity (another steep learnign curve :lol: ) and also the suggested tutorial (a lot to read there).

Now I just need to work out how and where to upload my show to get some feed back.

Again, I am very gratful for all you help.

Regards

Ray

...<snip>...Now I just need to work out how and where to upload my show to get some feed back...<snip>...

Ray, Mediafire has worked well for me.

Link here: http://www.mediafire.com/

You can post any file up to 100Mb and as many as you like for free.

Just check you give out the correct link for the file/show you store there.