WnSoft Forums

Large exe file

Ray Ashton

Hi Folks,

I knew I was going to have lots of questions!

I have created a slide show with music which runs for about 5 mins 30 sec. When I Create the slide show to make a exe file the size of the file seems quite large at 117MB. I have download shows that run for much longer and use more slides etc but only have file sizes of about 18-30 or so MB. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me to reduce the file size so that I can upload to the web, please? Also, can you recommend a good file hosting site?

Best wishes,

Ray

TYPE OF MUSIC

NUMBER OF SLIDES

SIZE OF SLIDES

WE WILL NEED TO KNOW ALL THESE FACTORS

myself i have made larger exe's than your exe

for example

228 slides -- , 21 mins of music - 6 mp3's, and the exe is 318 mb's

the show was made with the ver 4 series an avi made and then made to dvd with nero suite

ken

Hi Ray,

The biggest contribution to exe file size usually comes from your music. What format is your music file: WAV, WMA, MP3? If it is WAV or WMA then simply by converting it to MP3 you will reduce the music file size to approximately one-tenth of it's size with little if any loss of sound quality. I think it was you whom I directed to Audacity on another of your threads on the Forum? Once you have downloaded the MP3 encoder dll file for Audacity and told Audacity where you've stored it, you can use Audacity to do a File... Export as MP3... and then make the MP3 file your music file in your PTE project.

Images usually contribute less overall to the exe file size. However, there's no sense creating a bigger file than you need - especially if you're intending to upload it to a hosting site (e.g. MediaFire on www.mediafire.com). Assuming you are using a PC whose monitor has a natural resolution of XGA standard (i.e. 1024x768) then you should resize all your images to this size and reduce your image resolution down to 96 or even 72 pixels. This will produce image files whose size is typically in the 150-250KB range. Even at this small size there will be more than enough detail to view them on your PC monitor or to have them digitally projected.

Hope this helps - and makes sense.